Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis
Reload this Page >

How many of you quit smoking? Were you suffering from insomnia?

Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

How many of you quit smoking? Were you suffering from insomnia?

Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 AM
Wwill3715

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you quit smoking? Were you suffering from insomnia?

Hi, I have a question for former smokers or those who tried to quit smoking for ones. Did you experience sleeping disorders during the first 2 weeks without cigarettes? I tried to quit cold turkey several times and every time I could sleep only 3-4 hours a night. The article on QuitSmokingCommunity says it’s a common withdrawal symptom, but I never heard from people I know about this, they more often complained about headache and nausea. If you faced the same, please, tell me how do you cope with this.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 PM
alethi

That's strange that going off a stimulant, nicotine, would cause insomnia.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

It has been a very long time ago but I quit cold turkey after smoking four packs a day, my body didn't like it at all....just like a junky, quitting the smoke habit involves going thru withdrawal from nicotine to no nicotine that's why most people go back to smoking they crave nicotine. suffice it to say If you really mean to quit you will suffer one way or the other but not for ever it took me two plus years, now I can't stand being near smokers, quite frankly they stink. which was not obvious until I had quit for sometime. It was the hardest thing I have ever done but it beats lung cancer or the like, you got to hang tough. no I did not use the patch or such. put them down and don't look back. ......................good luck!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:27 PM
bessiebeardsley

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
It has been a very long time ago but I quit cold turkey after smoking four packs a day, my body didn't like it at all....just like a junky, quitting the smoke habit involves going thru withdrawal from nicotine to no nicotine that's why most people go back to smoking they crave nicotine. suffice it to say If you really mean to quit you will suffer one way or the other but not for ever it took me two plus years, now I can't stand being near smokers, quite frankly they stink. which was not obvious until I had quit for sometime. It was the hardest thing I have ever done but it beats lung cancer or the like, you got to hang tough. no I did not use the patch or such. put them down and don't look back. ......................good luck!
after this story i'm scared to quit smoking
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Lolimo

I was suffering from hunger, but likely everything was good with slipping.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:26 PM
bessiebeardsley

My mother quit smoking three years ago and it seems to me that this was the most difficult period in our life because she had a lot of nervous breakdowns and I did not have the strength to endure it. She made more than five attempts and each time she started to smoke again. Moreover, during abstinence from smoking, she had very severe stress and insomnia. I was about 15 years old at that moment and I was very scared. My older brother decided to do everything possible to stop this terrible situation. He suggested our mom to use vape. At first, she was against it, but then she agreed and started smoking vape. We were surprised, but she stopped getting nervous and started to sleep well at night. She used very tasty nicotine liquids from https://www.aquavape.co.uk and the effect was just awesome. So vaping is a great idea.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Had about 8 months of insomnia when I stopped using Copenhagen, but it went away.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20 AM
ronron99

I quitted 10 years ago. Suffered from insomnia a month after quitting
Old 08-16-2020, 06:20 AM
teamwills23

Originally Posted by Wwill3715
Hi, I have a question for former smokers or those who tried to quit smoking for ones. Did you experience sleeping disorders during the first 2 weeks without cigarettes? I tried to quit cold turkey several times and every time I could sleep only 3-4 hours a night. The article on QuitSmokingCommunity says it’s a common withdrawal symptom, but I never heard from people I know about this, they more often complained about headache and nausea. If you faced the same, please, tell me how do you cope with this.
When i quit smoking it takes a time of one week to get rid of headache
Old 08-16-2020, 06:21 AM
teamwills23

Originally Posted by Lolimo
I was suffering from hunger, but likely everything was good with slipping.
I also suffer from hunger for 2 weeks.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:24 AM
teamwills23

Originally Posted by Wwill3715
I can recommend you from my personal experience that you should not use any anti smoking tables to quit smoking because they are even more dangerous to smoking
Old 08-16-2020, 07:49 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Until your body rids it self of the chemical imbalance you introduced it to you will be uncomfortable, every body goes through it, YOU must stand tough! It Took more than two years for me to get that monkey off my back.

I was smoking 4 packs a day and had to realize I was out of control, but became determined to get control of my body.

That's right, it isn't easy at all and only you can stop it. I feel for you but can't offer a blessed thing to help you, YOU @ only YOU can break the habit. take that filth out of your mouth and know you are at war.

Good Luck! you will need it!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I quit almost 35 years ago. Went from Marlboros to a pipe, then slowly eased off the pipe. Took me about 4 months of smoking a little less every day, until I got down to one a day (first thing in the morning), then every other day, and finally quit completely. When I was dating my wife, I spoke fondly of the smell and taste of pipe tobacco. Darned if she didn't give me some very nice blend for my birthday!!!! I kept it for a while, just smelling it, until it started talking to me. Fortunately, we were on sewer, 'cuz I flushed it. Married her, still married to her.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:29 PM
luna mina

i started somoking since i was 15 yo . now i quit it so easlly . and it wasnt that deficult . i bleaved in my self thats all
Old 09-19-2020, 12:43 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's been 20 years since I quit and I still catch myself reaching to my shirt pocket occasionally. I was smoking the lightest cig I could find when I quit so the nicotine wasn't too bad but the habit was horrible. Took me a while to get weaned off the habitual cig stuff. You gotta want to not smoke...
Old 09-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Saturn V Guy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Back in '90 before becoming a parent I accepted the fact that if I stood any chance of being a role model, I had to be brutally honest with myself. After 15 years of smoking, drinking and drugs, in the span of 11 months I quit everything for the first and only time cold turkey. Yet it has never escaped my knowledge that damage may still have been done and I may pay for it later on. Tough ***** for me. Let it be a lesson.
I remember Yul Brynner having lung cancer and spoke about the damage smoking had done to himself. Watching and listening to someone who already had a death sentence handed down to them was noteworthy to say the least. Never forgot it.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:00 AM
ronron99

Yes I suffered from insomnia for about a months then I started to feel better than whenever before
Old 02-06-2021, 02:53 PM
Chuck7

I quitted 5 years ago. I was suffering only from hunger around a month.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:23 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm tobacco free since 2001. I'm not a guy with a lot of will power, and I smoked about 3/4 pack a day. I used nicotine gum to quit and only needed it for about 2 weeks. I was cranky and anxious for a couple of days. I don't recall trouble sleeping, but I remember being a mess when I tried to quit cold turkey. I ate everything in sight, couldn't relax, everything. So it's probably normal you're having trouble sleeping, especially if part of your evening routine is the last cigarette of the day.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:29 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's always the right decision to quit smoking.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:12 PM
ale62

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I did. I quit almost 12 months ago. And yes, a bit of insomnia during the first month, then just anxiety and tremors for a while (nothing to worry about). But you can do it! Hang in there!
In 2 weeks I will complete my no-smoking year. I asked for a congratulations card and a huge present to my wife. I suggest you to do the same LOL it is a good motivational drive (impossible to receive a congratulation card from "my-wife-who-is-always-right" otherwise LOL)
Old 02-28-2021, 01:42 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The weird thing about quitting smoking is the sudden cravings you'll get out of nowhere. I recall during the second year smoke free the mood would hit me to go burn one for no reason at all. If I hadn't have been genuinely committed to quitting for good and understood that it only takes one to get the addiction going again, I probably would have relapsed during one of those. The good news is that the urge doesn't last long and becomes less frequent with time.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:28 AM
jonasadam

After quitting, the first two weeks I had severe chest heaviness due to which it was becoming difficult for me to sleep.