Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Purchasing a Local Hobby Shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:18 AM
BoiseRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Purchasing a Local Hobby Shop

I think we just found out Rick does not own the hobby shop mentioned in this post.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That remains to be proved one way or another, third hand information is not good enough to prove or disprove anything.

MIke
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 AM
BoiseRC

I am going by the photos with the dated 08/18/2006. At this date to present the current owner of the store is not Rick. This thread took me by complete surprise when I found it. I operate an active local website and also host several R/C clubs. I am sure someone would of informed me of the new ownership.

I would like to meet some of these members of this new flying club here in town. Boise is not a large town and there are only a few suitable places to fly gas and electric without being an AMA member.

Rick can you please call me 761 2734 so I can get an updated listing of your flying club so that we may all fly together in an electric only event that is coming up here in town.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 PM
DiamondMox

I posted because I though you might like to know that you were being led on. I'm not out to badmouth anyone, just to set the record straight. All the suggestions given were good ideas and I don't want to inhibit people being helpful in the future.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

amazing !!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
BaldEagel

Rearrange into a well know saying.

Garden lead us path the up.

Mike
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Amazing is right. I tried to contact nrichardz a couple of times after it was made clear that he was pulling our leg. I am leaving this message in hopes that he still checks this forum. Although it is wrong to lie and decieve a bunch of people that are just trying to help you, I don't harbor any anger or resentment towards this guy. I am not sure why one would fabricate such a tale, but he is forgiven in my book.

My guess is at one time he seriously considered buying this hobby shop, it is for sale. I am sure one thing led to another, and a small lie just snowballed. I am sure he is emabarrassed by all of this, and I wish him well. I hope he keeps flying, and I think it would be awesome if he would be a man and explain himself as well as apolagize. I am sure that we could all find it in our hearts to forgive him.

Adam
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 AM
BaldEagel

Adam and Rick if you read this

Hear Hear.

Mike
Old 09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
LonestarMan

I would agree...My 3 Mottos are: We're R/C'ers... We don't always tell the truth___ We don't like to pay full price___ and We're cheap.... BUT even I wouldn't have the cahonnes to fab a story like this one if it's true......Rob
Old 09-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here I've been rooting for this guy Rick just to find out that none of it was true...?? [sm=50_50.gif]

This guy obviously has a need left unfulfilled. I hope he gets real help or finds what he needs. Seriously.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
thevinmanfxst

So where did LonelyRick15 go? He should at least give us an explanation. (I'm sure he could come up with something "creative")

I was following this thread since it started, so I was kinda bummed to hear all this. Although, you have to give it to the guy. This was a pretty elaborate, if not time consuming, farce.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Pyldrvr

Wow, I can't believe how this thread ends. I am a business owner in Fort Wort Texas (Proprietary POS Software) and am thinking of moving up to the Northwest and starting a new business. My current business is doing well, and I would be able to live on my dividends until the new venture takes off. I have dabbled a little with RC planes and grew up around RC Gliders as my father was an avid flyer. I was thinking of starting a joint venture with my wife 1/2 RC Hobby Shop and 1/2 crafting(wife's specialty). So far I have read a lot of people saying how hard it is to make it in the Hobby shop business, and being a business man was getting discouraged and thinking of new ideas for the next chapter of my life. Then I came across this thread and saw someone doing well in the business and it was uplifting to me and had my spirits back up and thinking on opening a shop of my own again. Then the last page and blech...

hehe anyways, weird thing this thread.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Kevinator9

This is wierd.... Why make up a story? Whats the point? Why bother? What going to happen if people come to "your" shop and buy something...You're not going to get the money.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:15 PM
nc1776

Congradulations on your purchase, Everyone is right when they say its a touch business. I have been in the retail business for many many years and if there is one thing I have learned is find yourself a nitch market also, something that no one around has. It may sound stupid but one guy has a great business makeing landing gear for large scale aircraft. After ordering from him I will never again put together a set of gear myself. He found a great market the same as they guys who specialize in the fiberglass cowlings. Sometimes there prices seem high till you spend a week trying to jig and silver solder a balsa USA 1/3 scale gear togeher. I was happy to pay the 120.00 to get it done perfectly. Another guy with a shop makes nothing but custom exhaust for vertually any engine. I got one for my FF-320 and again it sounded expensive till I opened the box. All these guys are succesful because they take the time that you would be standing around in the shop doing nothing and make it productive time. Only you know your talents but having something to supliment the hard retail business sure helps. Another example is NRG prop hubs. Again at first glance a lot of money till you open the box and sit in amazement at the talent of some of these true craftsman.
There must be something that you cans specialize in to fill the hours and make them productive.
The other peice of advice is Always but Always pay the IRS first and formost. If you have payroll taxes then pay them before eating if you have to. While most shop owners are great craftsmen most do not understand the paperwork of owning a bussiness. A good accountant is as important as an understanding wife when you own your own shop.
Never underestamate the power of online sales. Today you can create a nice website for nearly nothing but can be a good return on investment. While you are sleeping at night I could be ordering parts from you.
I wish you the best and thank you as when I need to one screw I did not find and drive 20 miles to the local hobby shop I realize how important it is to have someone willing to sell those screws. I always try to buy something local whenever I can. I dont mind paying a few more dollers and usually when you throw in the shipping its worth the trip.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nc1776- did you not read this entire thread????? We've all been had, my friend.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Rick, come on back.. I may have lost my mind!! At the very least, you are a great story teller. I have allways dreamed of owning a hobbie store. Through you I was living My dream. Come on back.

john in missouri
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
DiamondMox

I know you guys probably don't really need to know anytihng about the shop in this thread, but as of the first, Boise Hobby as pictured will be closing. The owner says that he is taking a month off and moving the store down the road, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't reopen since it's been a year since he put his store on the market. Just a bit of an update.