Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis
Reload this Page >

Which "Flight of the Phoenix" movie do you prefer?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.
View Poll Results: A poll
The original 1965 version with Jimmy Stewart
87.50%
The 2004 remake with Dennis Quaid
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Which "Flight of the Phoenix" movie do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which "Flight of the Phoenix" movie do you prefer?

The "Flight of the Phoenix" movie should be special to all of us because of the engineer's explanation of how model airplanes are just as legitimate as their full-sized brothers. Besides, it's simply a great story!

The two movies differ trememdously in style and I'm curious as to which one appeals to you the most. The 1965 version is rich in character development and provides a fine psychological study of desperate men. The 2004 remake provides spectacular special effects that were not available in 1965.

Please tell us which one you liked best and why. Should be an interesting poll.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Which "Flight of the Phoenix" movie do you prefer?

If we have to explain why the original version is better, a lot of people probably wouldn't understand.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with Red.
Would be too difficult the explain why the original version with Jimmy Stewart is the best.
One needs to watch it to understand, I guess.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:58 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No question about it, the original is much better, because there was more story than just a plane crash in the desert and fancy F/X. I was so disappointed in the remake I didn't even finish watching it (rented DVD). Took it out and watched the original again.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

No question about it, the original is much better, because there was more story than just a plane crash in the desert and fancy F/X. I was so disappointed in the remake I didn't even finish watching it (rented DVD). Took it out and watched the original again.
Agreed 100%.

I watched about 45 minutes of it and left the room to work on models for the rest of the night. My wife thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
crashontakeoff

I heard the original, which I have seen many times used the Fairchild Packet. And that the "Phoenix" was a converted Texan. I had a at6 kit and some wood, and kind of toyed with the idea. That would be a great, but ugly scale model. and so simple. Hmmm I hear winter project. I personally liked both movies. On a side note I am going to school for the CG and one of the classes we watch "12 Oclock High" I hope I don't embarass myself and say the lines before they come up. Well off to research C82's.

Crashontakeoff
Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
H5487

Yes, the original Flight of the Phoenix movie was based on the C-82 "Packet" cargo plane. (The similiar looking and more-numerous C-119 "Flying Boxcar" was an improvement on the Packet design.) However, the resurrected Phoenix at the end of the original movie was not built from a T-6 "Texan."

The end of the movie was shot with two different airplanes to represent the Phoenix. The first one was indeed constructed from Packet parts and accurately reflected the plane that we watched the survivors build throughout the movie. This is the plane that we watched on the edge of our seats as Jimmy Stewart used up most of the starter cartridges trying to get the beast to run. We also saw it speeding across the sand on takeoff, followed by a few brief in-flight shots. Sadly, this plane folded up during the filming and killed the legendary movie test pilot, Paul Manz. (Thankfully, the in-motion scenes of this plane were filmed with mannequins attached to the wings so none of the actors were involved in the accident.)

After the accident of the first Phoenix, a surplus A1 "Skyraider" was quickly cobbled up to emulate the Packet Phoenix in order to finish the movie. The Skyraider Phoenix was noticably beefier than the Packet Phoenix, which is why there are so few flying scenes at the end of the movie. If you'll look very carefully (it's a very quick shot) at the Phoenix that flies over the oil workers prior to landing at the oasis , you'll see the difference. (Of course, this is only noticeable to an airplane nut!) Plus, after the death of Paul Manz, the director wanted to wrap up the movie without risking anyone else in a squirrelly flying contraption.