Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

Classifieds 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:24 PM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classifieds 101

I really didn't want to have to post this, but so many people in this forum don't seem to have a clue about the proper edicate when it comes to posting items for sale in the classified section.

When you post an item for sale, you need to include the word "firm" after the price if you're not willing to negotiate on the price. Not including this word implies the seller is willing to negotiate.

Secondly, if a prospective buyer offers a seller a lower price than the seller is asking (assuming the price is not listed as a "firm" price), the proper response is for the seller to make a counter offer lower than the original asking price. I've notice many sellers in this forum replying with simply a "no thanks." While that may work for a few hot items, most buyers expect the seller to negotiate at least somewhat. If not, the seller may be waiting for quite some time before they're able to sell the item, if ever.

It's also good to keep in mind that you're always going to lose money when it comes to selling your hobby items. They're never going to be worth even close to what they sold for new, even if they were never used. That's just the way the cookie crumbles in the hobby world.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Classifieds 101

Sorry but I disagree with that..this is a RC hobby forum..we arent negotiating multi-million dollar contracts here...Dont take it so seriously...When I make an offer if the seller responds with "no" or "no thanks" then so be it..
Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
grampi

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Sorry but I disagree with that..this is a RC hobby forum..we arent negotiating multi-million dollar contracts here...Dont take it so seriously...When I make an offer if the seller responds with "no" or "no thanks" then so be it..
The amount of money has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: grampi

Thats not really the point..its supposed to be a hobby--supposed to somewhat of an enjoyment...

I take it you recently had a bad experience ?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 PM
grampi

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Thats not really the point..its supposed to be a hobby--supposed to somewhat of an enjoyment...

I take it you recently had a bad experience ?
You're right, it is supposed to be enjoyable. However, there isn't much enjoyment making offers on items when sellers aren't willing to negotiate one iotta. I have never held firm on my price for anything I've ever sold. I was always willing to move at least a little bit.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Josey Wales

I have never held firm on my price for anything I've ever sold. I was always willing to move at least a little bit.
I guess it really depends on how bad someone wants to sell...
Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 PM
z
My Feedback: (4)

I have got the "No Thanks" before and I have given the "No Thanks" before and never thought anything about it but you are 100% correct if it says firm I dont try to negotiate. If it doesnt say "firm" I try to get a little better deal.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

The only way that would change for everyone is if when the adv is being placed there was included a "firm" or "willing to negotiate" sort of button included. Beyond that it'll be up to each individual.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Gulliver

First time I ever heard of something caledl "edicate" regarding classifieds. Sign of the times.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
grampi

ORIGINAL: Gulliver

First time I ever heard of something caledl "edicate" regarding classifieds. Sign of the times.
The word is "etiquette." I can't spell.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats why there is a "low-ball" shield in the classifieds. It allows a seller to put up a "bottom dollar" price that only he can see. Anyone trying to make an offer below that amount is denied.

Rather than make offers or try to negotiate outside the RCU system--just put in the maximum amount your willing to pay. The computer will tell you if your offer has been accepted or denied because it falls below the minimum amount the buyer is willing to accept.

Or, just make an offer. Not all guys will use the low-ball shield. If the guy has not used the low ball shield--then your free to offer him $1 if you want too. Then it's up to him if he wants to accept or refuse your offer.

If you try and make an offer that is below a guys low ball shield--then you'll get an automated message indicating that your not high enough and the seller won't even accept your offer because it's too low.

Use the marketplace the way it was setup. Make your offer and see what happens, instead of sending guys emails with low ball offers. Thats what makes guys mad. I always use a low-ball shield. And when I get email offers for less than what I'm willing to take--yeah, it gets a bit irritating.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

That's right. I remember seeing that and thought it was a good idea. I use the market place to make my offers and have never had a problem, (and I buy alot of stuff). The only thing that gets my goat is when I make a purchase and they don't use the RCU invoicing feature so they can be rated. Not that I'd leave bad feedback but that I like getting good feedback. They just cancel the auction. It doesn't give you any protection either.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:32 AM
grampi

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Thats why there is a "low-ball" shield in the classifieds. It allows a seller to put up a "bottom dollar" price that only he can see. Anyone trying to make an offer below that amount is denied.

Rather than make offers or try to negotiate outside the RCU system--just put in the maximum amount your willing to pay. The computer will tell you if your offer has been accepted or denied because it falls below the minimum amount the buyer is willing to accept.

Or, just make an offer. Not all guys will use the low-ball shield. If the guy has not used the low ball shield--then your free to offer him $1 if you want too. Then it's up to him if he wants to accept or refuse your offer.

If you try and make an offer that is below a guys low ball shield--then you'll get an automated message indicating that your not high enough and the seller won't even accept your offer because it's too low.

Use the marketplace the way it was setup. Make your offer and see what happens, instead of sending guys emails with low ball offers. Thats what makes guys mad. I always use a low-ball shield. And when I get email offers for less than what I'm willing to take--yeah, it gets a bit irritating.
I've never seen this low ball shield, or at least none of my offers have been blocked by it that I know of. Or maybe none of my offers have been below the low ball limit, but I find that hard to believe.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Dave trimmer

wow, you guys are over thinking this. I do believe when you put a for sale sign out side on your plane and you ask them the price and they say make me an offer and you say i have no clue whats a good price but they insist that you make an offer. So you make an offer and laugh in your face.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 AM
grampi

ORIGINAL: Dave trimmer

wow, you guys are over thinking this. I do believe when you put a for sale sign out side on your plane and you ask them the price and they say make me an offer and you say i have no clue whats a good price but they insist that you make an offer. So you make an offer and laugh in your face.

I actually don't mind that as much as the guys who don't put the word "firm" in their ad, but yet they seem to be unwilling to budge on their asking price, especially when they're asking price is almost as much as you'd pay for a brand new item.