RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/)
-   -   Any Supertiger experts out there ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/11630834-any-supertiger-experts-out-there.html)

3357 07-06-2016 03:16 PM

Any Supertiger experts out there ?

I have a supertiger 90 glow motor that does not seem to like me any more. About 2 years ago I had it installed on a chipmunk and it ran perfectly. One of the best running motors I have ever owned. I clipped a cyclone fence on a landing approach and killed the chipmunk. But I gently removed my prize super tiger , cleaned all the glow fuel out of it and gave the inside a bath with after run oil , sealed it in 2- 1 gallon
plastic storage bags and put it in the closet. Well I am buying a yak and I wanted to use my wonderful super tiger 90 in it. I put the motor on a test stand to check it out and it seems its very mad at me. It fired and I let it warm up real good at about 1/3 throttle. Then I slowly began to give it more throttle and it sputtered and died. Tried to fire it up again but it would not start. Thought maybe the jets might have some crud in them so i pulled them out and blew through the holes they go in and every thing looked fine. I reinstalled the jets. I blew air through the fuel inlet and turned the high speed jet in untill i could not blow air through it. (that was with throttle wide open). Then I turned the high speed jet out 2 1/2 turns. Then i closed the throttle and blew through the fuel inlet again while turning the low speed jet untill no more air came out. Then I turned it out 1/2 turn.............
Im gonna post this and finish on another post now..............

3357 07-06-2016 03:36 PM

Hooked the lines back up and it fired right up but was a Little rich as I thought it would be. I opened the throttle and turned in the high speed jet but it did not seem to be responding. So I turned in the low speed just a little and gave it some gas and it died. It would not restart. I checked the high speed jet and it was turned in so far i could not even blow through it. I know especilly with a super tiger you need to make small adjustments to the carb. And evidently I had made enough small adjustments to the high speed with no response I closed it off. Ok, reset the high speed 2 1/2 turns out. Motor fires but not running right. Again, try adjustments to no avail.. Also when i touch my low speed jet with a screwdrive it seems to want to kill the motor. Not turning it just touching it. Last night I removed the carb and tore it down to have a look. All looks fine. The o rings look great and the jets arent bent or broken. I cleaned it up good and reassembled it. The only thing I changed was where the carb barrel meets the high speed jet assembly ( opposite throttle arm side) I had used silicone in there to seal it. This time I used a small o ring instead. Looks like a good seal to me. Put the carb back on and fired it up in the test stand. Ran the same,, bad. Again tried to peak the motor out with high speed jet and no response. The motor does not sound like it leans at all. And the low speed pretty much kills the motor every time I touch it with a screwdriver.. Oh yea , I did make sure the slot where the
jets go in was faceing down in the carb...... Any help would be appreciated.. Dave>>>>>>>

flyinwalenda 07-07-2016 02:27 AM

I would say that the carb took a hit in the crash and possibly bent a needle ever so slightly or distorted the case a bit.
I have noticed on carbs that are worn where you can push on the low speed needle and slow down/kill the engine as the carb barrel is moving in as you push on the needle.
I'd try getting some new parts and rebuild the carb or buy a new carb..

loopdeeloop 07-07-2016 03:44 AM

Or just install an ASP 1.08 carb from HK for $15 and have a sweetheart easy to tune engine. I did it and never looked back.

3357 07-07-2016 06:58 AM

I noticed last night that the screw that holds the barrel in the carb housing was missing. Must have vibrated out when I was running the motor. I do believe that could cause a problem because the barrel would be all over the place. Made a screw for it last night and I willl check it out today. I will post if that took care of the problem.. Tks for the reply.....Dave

3357 07-07-2016 07:02 AM

Really? thats good to know. You have done this with a super tiger before and it worked good?
Thanks for the info. If the motor does not work today thats exactly what I will do. $15 aint bad !

Dave

3357 07-09-2016 08:15 PM

Well i did order the asp 1.08 carb. Probably take s month to get herr though. I was digging around in my rc closet and came across an old tower hobbies .61 motor. I checked t he size of the carb opening and it was 15mm just like my super tigre. So i figured i would try the carb and see if it would work on the st 90. Well it did work much to my surprise. And after a little tuning it worked very well. My st will litterilly idle at a very slow idle all day long. I dont have a tach so i dont know the rpms on the top end but it seemed to be running very well. The inside diameter of the carb thtoat is about 5mm smaller than the super tigres so im probably not getting all the motors capible of. But it runs!!!

r ward 05-09-2018 06:33 AM

sounds like you have a transition problem. wrong mixture as it goes from idle to wide open. you need to adjust the position of the fuel bar in the carb throat. turning it, changes how the carb flows fuel to the engine during transition. loosen the two screws on the side of the carb that hold the barrel in the carb and turn the brass fuel bar, testing for smooth transition. usually they are set too lean. I cannot remember which way you turn it for what mixture, but the info is on the S-T website.