RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/)
-   -   Catalytic converter for you? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/4050210-catalytic-converter-you.html)

dirtybird 03-18-2006 02:15 PM

Catalytic converter for you?

I read in the paper this morning the EPA is considering regulations for engines of less than 50 HP including "Lawn mowers, jet skis and other similar small machines" I guess that includes us.
Anyone know what this means?

RTK 03-18-2006 02:35 PM

RE: Catalytic converter for you?

I haven't heard that yet, but if it is true I am sure it was originated by some numb-skull on the left coast.

mrbigg 03-18-2006 04:36 PM

yeah, the ones that want Hybrid vehicles to clean the air up, but want to tax you extra for buying one because now your not paying your fair share of taxes at the pump.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Kweasel 03-18-2006 05:45 PM

They have been talking about that for years. The latest LawnBoy twostrokes did have catalytic converters. There is no 50hp jetskis anymore and they have been included with all marine vehicles and have already had emission standards phased in over the last 9 years. Any changes will only be at the MFG level. The current proposed standards for off-road engines are relatively low and can be met with a catalytic afterburner or by simply using fourstrokes.

dirtybird 03-18-2006 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

They have been talking about that for years. The latest LawnBoy twostrokes did have catalytic converters. There is no 50hp jetskis anymore and they have been included with all marine vehicles and have already had emission standards phased in over the last 9 years. Any changes will only be at the MFG level. The current proposed standards for off-road engines are relatively low and can be met with a catalytic afterburner or by simply using fourstrokes.
Where does that leave us? Will we need the catalytic converter?

huey-pilot 03-18-2006 08:44 PM

I have a Husqvarna chainsaw and weedeater and both of these have catylic converters. The models with the converters have green fuel caps.

Kweasel 03-18-2006 10:47 PM

If they ever do come equipped with a catalyst, I'm sure it will not take long to remove it. Why did they move the thread? This subject affects only gasoline powered engines.

mrbigg 03-19-2006 07:01 AM

Why did they move the thread? This subject affects only gasoline powered engines.
right.

AQ500 03-29-2006 09:35 PM

I can't wait until I have to have emmsion tests done on my 4 wheeler.

Flyboy Dave 03-30-2006 02:01 AM

They have done away with almost all two stroke engines here in Calif.
All the weed eaters, leaf blowers, and such are four strokes now. :eek:

FBD.