RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/)
-   -   No "A" in D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-planes-helis-391/9794506-no-%22%22-d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.html)

dgliderguy 06-10-2010 02:41 PM

No "A" in D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

What's the most commonly misspelled word in the entire English language?

Definitely "DEFINITELY"!!!

I've seen "definately" about a zillion times, also definatly, defiantly, defanatly, and a bunch of other combinations. A bit niggly, I know, but PLEASE can we spell the word the way it was intended?

Off my soapbox now. Life must go on. :)

scale only 4 me 06-10-2010 03:12 PM

RE: No

Maybe fix the typos in your signature before you start pointing out the mistakes of other's ;)

If you don''t care about rising air, you''re square, mon frère!

STUKA BARRY 06-10-2010 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Maybe fix the typos in your signature before you start pointing out the mistakes of other's ;)

Sounds like a good place to start. Open mouth, insert foot. Way too many English majors on this site.

gboulton 06-10-2010 03:30 PM

Wow...twice in one week.

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
<br type="_moz" />

scale only 4 me 06-10-2010 03:39 PM

See how easy it is ;)

MinnFlyer 06-10-2010 04:02 PM

His signature contains no typos

RCU has a bug that occasionally causes an apostrophe to double. So those are not quotes, it is two apostrophes and he has no control over it.

And he is definitely correct, The root of the word is "Finite".

Although, when a word is misspelled it doesn't bother me as much as when a word is misused.

To, Too, and Two

I went to the bar and had two drinks, which was not too much.

Then my friend showed up. He was drinking too. Before long, it was two in the morning and we both had too much to drink.

When we came to, the two of us decided that we would definitely never drink too much again

DavidAgar 06-10-2010 04:57 PM

I needed to motors for my twin engine plane. I had to go two the hobby shop to get my too motors so my twin engine plane would fly. It definately sounds cool with both engines running..... Dave

Live Wire 06-10-2010 06:03 PM

Mike & Dave
You Guy'S are getting burned out:D

dug44 06-10-2010 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: dgliderguy

What's the most commonly misspelled word in the entire English language?

Definitely "DEFINITELY"!!!

I've seen "definately" about a zillion times, also definatly, defiantly, defanatly, and a bunch of other combinations. A bit niggly, I know, but PLEASE can we spell the word the way it was intended?

Off my soapbox now. Life must go on. :)

JESUS, if you get that angry over a mispelled wurd, you must contemplate suicide when you fart!!!! Holy cow man....

Notice word? lol, just playing man.

Tarasdad 06-10-2010 06:28 PM

My wife is an English major. Reading internet forum posts drives her nuts sometimes. I guess I'm cynical enough to ignore it for the most part. Well, except for run-on sentences, that is. Those drive me up a wall.

tailskid 06-10-2010 07:52 PM

Mike, question......your example of 'to too and two'...from experience or from a book???? :):):)

speedy72vega 06-10-2010 08:30 PM

I've seen could've spelled incorrectly at least as much as definitely, as in 'could of'.

DavidAgar 06-10-2010 08:43 PM

Larry, we are not getting burned out, just enjoying ourselves. You just gotta laugh sometimes, it is good for the mind.... Dave

gboulton 06-10-2010 09:36 PM

<div>One of my favorite graphics:</div><div>
</div><div>http://images25.fotki.com/v897/photo.../7SnSZI-vi.jpg
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

MrMulligan 06-10-2010 10:10 PM

Don't forget the constant misuse of: there, their and they're. There points at something as: There is the plane. Their is a possessive as: Their plane was stolen. They're is a contraction of they and are as: They're late.

MinnFlyer 06-10-2010 10:33 PM

Another one that I see a lot is "alot"

"A lot" is two (to too?) words!

And yea, the "there,their, they're" thing bugs me too (to two?)

scale only 4 me 06-10-2010 10:50 PM

Ya IC that allot 2

foodstick 06-10-2010 11:21 PM

When I saw the title of this post I was sure you were picking on me ! :D

I will "Prolly" spell definitely wrong the next time I use it !

psb667 06-11-2010 12:31 AM

wow the typos are in two languages

dgliderguy 06-11-2010 01:03 AM

You guys are the best! I had no idea my post would get so many lively responses. Ain't this RCU group stuff fun, though?

And yes, MinnFlyer gets a sticker, for having identified a bug in the text of my signature. I have tried "allot" to get those dadgum quotes to turn into apostrophes, to no avail. Defintinely a problem! BTW, gboulton you also get a sticker, for that superb cartoon post. I copped it to my hard-drive for future use.

Ah, so many grammatical abominations, and so few to blow the whistle on them, eh? I predict the day will come when people ask Webster to just freakin' change the spelling of definitely, and forever make the problem moot.

foodstick 06-11-2010 01:09 AM

I have never liked the word NAZI to be thrown around A LOT [:@]

But the title "Grammar nazi" does make me chuckle.... ;)

dgliderguy 06-11-2010 01:12 AM

"GRAMMAR NAZI"?? Ack!! Is there any way I can make my original post go "poof"? ;)

scale only 4 me 06-11-2010 06:48 AM

I didn't see a,, "Don't Feed the Sharks" sign,,, it's all good ;)

gboulton 06-11-2010 07:02 AM

<div style="text-align: left; "><span style="font-family: arial; ">

But the title "Grammar nazi" does make me chuckle....
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">

</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">Yes, I've got an image for nearly everything...</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...mmar-nazi2.jpg
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">
</span></div><div></div><div>=======================</div><div></div>FWIW, I can explain the double apostrophe thing for y'all...<div></div><div>Pretty much any database engine that speaks standard SQL (which is to say, about all of them) uses the "single quote", otherwise known as an apostrophe, to indicate a group of text. For example, it might be looking forsomethingwhere someone's last name is Brown, so you'd see:</div><div></div><div>SELECT * from users where LastName = 'Brown'</div><div></div><div>Great...no worries. Unless the text being searched for happens to have an apostrophe IN it, such as the last name O'Brien. Suddenly, that becomes 'O'Brien' which, as far as the DB engine is concerned, is 'O' followed by the command Brien....which makes no sense.</div><div></div><div>The "escape" for single quotes is...you guessed it...a double single quote. (Note, not a " double quote...but two single quote characters)</div><div></div><div>So, most software that needs to deal with database engines has various code to find a ' in text, and turn it into '' .</div><div></div><div>Now, I couldn't say where or why, exactly, but it's fairly obvious that for SOME reason, RCU performs this function TWICE on signatures...turning ' into '''' ... which, if you 'do the math' would come out as '' once we've sorted out all the escapes. The even MORE amusing "bug", of course, is that the NEXT time you view/save your profile, if '''' is there...it does it AGAIN, making it '''''''' ... which, of course, now comes out as '''' (see my sig below) and so forth.</div><div></div><div>I know...completely off topic, and PROLLY boring as heck...but hey, this is what happens when you let database nerds out of THERE cages.</div><div></div><div></div>

scale only 4 me 06-11-2010 07:10 AM

Or don"t let them out often enough :)

Typos beyond our control,,, that sucks,,, the OP is Mr. Perfect after all