Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP Fusion Fuel Pickup Problem

Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
edavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Fusion Fuel Pickup Problem

I put together an OMP 67' Fusion ARF using a Saito 125 engine with the stock tank and I'm having a fuel pickup problem. I noticed when I do 3D manuevers that the motor hesitates until the fuel sloshing is over and the plane stabilizes. I know the clunk is not getting hung up in the tank and is the fuel line is the right length. The problem is less during the first 2 minutes of flight. The fuel seems to be sloshing away from the pickup when I hold the plane 20 degress downward after about a half tank of fuel is left. I really makes for a short run time with this problem. I can only 3D for about two minutes and the plane will deadstick after about 5 minutes. There is usually around a 1/3 tank of fuel left when the plane deadsticks. I know the Saito 125 is a thirsty motor but the run time seems short. Is there something I should check in the tank setup location or is there a better or larger tank I could use to eliminate this problem?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP Fusion Fuel Pickup Problem

My complete WAG is that you have the tank mounted too tightly.
Common accepted practice for mounting the tank to a profile is 1/2" foam rubber underneath and the tank held on by no more than 3 or 4 #62 or #64 rubber bands. When it is mounted too tight, the vibration from the engine aerates the fuel causing the random lean-outs you describe.