Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

80" Edge - tough or easy build?

Old 10-16-2006, 12:02 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" Edge - tough or easy build?

I am looking for a winter project and like what I hear about the big Edge. I am normally and ARF guy, but want something that will take longer than an ARF.

How tough is this kit to build? The last time I built a profile, it ended up with a little curve in the fuse. I am sure it was my fault though. I built my first trainer from a kit, but again, usually buy ARFs.

Should I try this kit?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 80" Edge - tough or easy build?

Well this is a big profile and the fuse is layed up foam core same as any giant scale wing. The basic rules are the same and you need to make sure you have a sturdy and flat building board for the layup. Other than that it's easy to build. Fuse is flat, tail feathers are flat, and wings build flat on your boards.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

The wing is too wide for the largest building board I could find at my LHS. So I bought two boards and built across both. Worked fine. Warped my fuse with my first attempt. Sanded off one side and reglued it. The problem was my door "table" flexed the skin under weight. Moral: LOTS of weight on an absolute flat surface that won't flex AT ALL. I have about 200 flights on my plane. Planted it inverted on a low pass and bent the wing tube. Ripped the rudder and one stab off. Simply rehinged it, got a new wing tube and all is well. No wing damage at all. Weight is 12# even with an MVVS 2.15 gasser with MVVS pipe. Nice combo, but would be lighter with the OS 1.60.

Doug
Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
AFSalmon

Doug, that's a great story and a great combo with the MVVS 2.15 engine. Good tips on the workbench also. I built a 4x8 building board yeard ago and built it VERY sturdy with 2x4 framing. I like to use drywall sheets layed on top for building on. You can push pins into the drywall and they hold very nice. One you cut up the drywall too much or get too much glue and crud on it you can replace it cheap.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Here's my OMP 80 inch edge built from their kit in 15 days (8 days to build and 7 days to cover with Ultrocote). I've built a lot of planes, but even a novice builder can build this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95144.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	546256  
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

I was sort of playing Mr. Mom for most of a year when I built mine, so I had some time. I estimate I spent 160 hours building mine. 40 hours covering it, but it was darn near perfect. Could have been built much faster and covered MUCH faster, but I didn't care. Took some time retro engineering the MVVS installation as it was my first foray into giant, profile, and gas. Big fan of the design as a fun fly, throw around plane.

DMcQuinn, I love the pic. Here's mine. I know I've posted it a bunch before, but here goes anyway.

Doug

Name:	Lg17342.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	546262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11803.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	546263  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:50 PM
AFSalmon

Nice Edges guys! PlanePlanter will be building himself one this winter as well. At least he keeps talking about it every week!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
PlanePlanter
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Nice Edges guys! PlanePlanter will be building himself one this winter as well. At least he keeps talking about it every week!
I'm just waiting for you to get tired of the "Blah,blah-blah,blahblahblah" and build it for me LOL![X(]

Hey guys your Edges do look great! The gallary is back up and running, you should post them on there as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
AFSalmon

Stevey, you know I love to build so I might just do that for you this winter. You have to buy the beer and chips though.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:35 PM
flyhi2005

my OMP 80 inch edge built in 14 days ............short winter

Name:	Nl30447.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	558260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	558261