Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Control horn placment on 52"Fusion

Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM
flyman1948

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control horn placment on 52"Fusion

The horns included with the ARF do not allow the pushrod to meet the horn(pivot point?) directly over the hinge gap. Placing the horn on the aileron as far forward as possible while keeping the entire base on the surface results in a pivot point aft of the desired position 1/4 inch. Will this location be OK...I'm not sure what effect this placment will have on the throws on the ailerons (differential?) I will use a computer radio DX7.....Thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
RaceCity

Default RE: Control horn placment on 52"Fusion

Use a Du-Bro HD control horn. It's a 5-40 screw arrangement, and it has a long clevis attach point on it which addresses your issue precisely.

It is for this very reason I used them on my Fusion.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

This is common on larger airfoiled ailerons and is easily corrected through programming on the TX. Just set your endpoints for tht channel so you have the same up and down deflection. I've found this to work just fine on many planes all the way up to giant scale. Even using something like the giant scale Dubro horns, chances are you won't get absolute perfect geometry so if you are the purest you will still need to adjust your endpoints accordingly. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM
rlevy
My Feedback: (4)

The problem you describe is not unique to the Fusion. Any model that uses triangular stock at the leading edges of the control surfaces presents the same difficulty. Although Mike Pilkenton's suggestion of using the end point adjustment on the TX will work, a simpler and better solution would be to use control horns that place the pivot point in the proper position. I know of no source for control horns with the proper geometry. Perhaps letters to DuBro, Great Planes and other manufacturers and suppliers will rectify this situation. OMP could take the lead.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Actually Dubro already makes the longer threaded couplers and control horns for exactly this purpose. They are a bit large for the smaller planes but you can always cut some length off and redrill the holes where you need them. I've done this before and it works fine. The other simplist thing to do is offset your servo control arm to compensate for the geometry thus giving the same up and down throws. I won't go into the math and angles but basically the angle from the servo arm screw to the attachment point of the pushrod must be the same as the similar angle at teh control surface (hinge point to pushrod attachment). Again, this is very common in giant scale rudders where the attachments of the pull-pull cables are not in line with the hinge point. Companies like SWB actually make angled offset rudder horns for exactly this purpose.