Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes > OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum
Reload this Page >

NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass??? - Katana 46 V2 GONE

Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass??? - Katana 46 V2 GONE

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
ghost flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass??? - Katana 46 V2 GONE

I am trying to decide between the OMP 47 ProYak V3 and the OMP 47 Edge 540 V3. Or maybe someone has another suggestion. This is not my first 3D plane.

I had a Katana 46 V1 that I flew that became notorious with an OS .70 Surpass on it with an APC 14 X 4 W prop, it would do anything. I sold the Katana V1 and got a V2 because I wanted the removable wing. Unfortunately it had bad flutter problems when I did higher speed manouvers that the V1 did with ease. I added another bolting location on the top of the wing like the two on the bottom and that did the trick. Three of the larger Katana .70s are now in the club (with the modification). I was hovering with the Katana 46 V2 and I lost the engine high enough it did major damage to it when it hit the ground. I really liked the configuration of the elevator and rudder with the offset or L shaped design at the hinge side of the control surfaces to put less strain on the servos.

Since the Katana 46 V2 is hard to find what would be a good replacement being this is not my first 3D profile? I would like a little more maneuverability because I had problems getting my V2 to do a flat spin. I would be doing a kit so I could modifly the tail surfaces to the Katana style configuration or does this hurt the maneuverability? I like to do a lot of things at full throttle including dives into snaps are these planes duable enough for that or is there another choice that would be better? I have included a pictue of the tail surface I am talking about. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Like to get started on something soon.[sm=50_50.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44396.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	1152920  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
ghost flyer

Default RE: NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass - Katana 46 V2 GONE

In case anyone was wondering about the Katana V2 modification that makes it into "The bomb". I cut a slot in the top above the wing tube and then glued a piece of plywood to the wing tube and ran it outside as shown by the arrow in the picture. Then I had three wing attachment points instead of two. Now speed is no issue, full throttle snaps can be done with ease without flutter. Even vertical dives with full throttle are no problem. Throttle management is for cowards now.

Can anyone tell me why OMP stopped carrying the Katanas?

Ghost Flyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99581.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1152974  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass??? - Katana 46 V2 GONE

Might have something to do with the company making the Katana's.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: NEXT Profile for OS .70 Surpass??? - Katana 46 V2 GONE

Ghost Flyer, the easy solution for you is the 47" Proyak! This is the advanced 3D flyer we now offer and still comes in a two-piece wing setup. If you want a one-piece more solid airframe the wings can be permanently glued onto the fuse or tack glued at the anti-rotation pins (there is still a center wing bolt). The new ProYak is coming in ARF format and should be here in about 2 weeks we hope. See the webpage for pre-order savings.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47proyakarf/index.htm