Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

OMP Fusion 67 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OMP Fusion 67 ARF

Does anyone know if there are any "known issues" with the OMP Fusion 67 ARF?

I removed the covering over the hatch below the lower engine rail and there is no hole to run the battery/switch leads to the reciever.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to cut into something I'm not supposed to....[:@]
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP Fusion 67 ARF

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Does anyone know if there are any "known issues" with the OMP Fusion 67 ARF?

I removed the covering over the hatch below the lower engine rail and there is no hole to run the battery/switch leads to the reciever.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to cut into something I'm not supposed to....[:@]

Yes this is true. The factory did some really nice things like glue the vertical fin on and complete the covering around that so the customer does not have to. You can skip that step in the manual! But they forgot to cut the wire holes between the front battery hatch and the throttle servo opening and the throttle servo area to the front wing hatch. Use an X-acto knife, and/or dremel with a rotoxip bit to make the holes. It is quick and easy to do. I'll post pictures tonight.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM
AFSalmon

Here are some pics of the holes I cut for the servo wires.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17568.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1197242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39338.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1197243  
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Broken Wings

Great, that's about what I did.

Now, how do you get the wires from the rear compartment to the front compartment around the wing tube?

The three servo wires from the Ele, Rud servos end up in the rear compartment. The right side wing does not have a through hole. The Left side wing has a small one just above the wing tube.

If I mount my reciever in the front compartment per the instructions, slide the right wing panel on, attach the right aileron to the reciever, slide the left wing panel on. I'd have to feed the "three wires" through the wing as well as the left aileron in order to get everything to work.

Shouldn't there be two holes in the fuselage to feed the wires through to the front compartment without going through the wing?

Like this?........

I have no idea what's under "the floor" where the nyrod is. Foam? Balsa? Carbon
Fibre?

I don't want to cut something that will ruin the airframe or weaken it.

I made a small plywood reinforcement with a rubber gromet to capture the wires and keep them from falling back into the hole.

Name:	Pn36880.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1197429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41230.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1197430  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
AFSalmon

That picture using the nyrod is from the previous version of the ARF and I need to change that out of the manual. This is another area where the factory did not include the tunnel at this point. What you do is grab a ruler and an X-acto knife and cut a slot below the wing tube and wing bolt hole. Save the 1/16" ply piece. Cut the slot about 1/2" deep or so and pop out the wood using a flat screwdriver tip. Glue the 1/16" ply piece back in place using CA and you are done. Took me about 5 minutes.

Name:	Ec89888.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1198225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75119.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1198226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65296.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1198227  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Broken Wings

Have you checked to see if the passages from the rudder/elevator servos are cut?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Have you checked to see if the passages from the rudder/elevator servos are cut?
yes, mine are fine. lots of room.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 PM
garygee
My Feedback: (9)

My new fusion boys.....will maiden tomorrow. OS 120ax with hitec 5645 in tail and 5625's on wings ,slightly nose heavy at 8" with the engine back in the rails. Thats ok though ,will shed the wheel pants to reduce weight when i get use to it.

Name:	Qo39916.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1198939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91396.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1198940  
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Broken Wings

Did you add right thrust? Let us know how you like it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
garygee

I always add right thrust, I will give you all a report on the carnage after the fact =)
Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Gary, can you move the battery back any? I have mine in the TE of the wing behind the hatch opening.

David

Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 AM
garygee

Well guys I have good news and bad news. I maidend the fusion yesterday and i must say this plane is awsome!!! I was a slight bit nose heavy but I must say it flew like it was tail heavy, the os 120 is a monster on this plane ,had it in hover between 1/3 to a half throttle, spinning a 16x6 vess prop. It does rolling harriers with ease. Had the battery in the left wing all the way to the rear of wing using my switch as a brace...plane was perfectly balanced. And now for the bad news, it was a pretty windy day in the 401 yesterday and asmy confidence grew my last flight i was doing rolling harriers down wind and yup you guessed I pancaked it extremely bad =(. Its now in that model airplane heaven in the sky RIP......no guts no glory. Mike I ordered another one hopefully you can get that out by Monday so maybe I can have it flying bye the weekend. This plane is sick and had to have another.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Broken Wings

I wish you were closer, I'd deliver the one I bought to get rid of it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

broken wings, isnt your plane new? why do you want to get rid of it? Also, pm me with how much you want for it.

garygee,
do you own any other OMP planes, if so how would you compare the Fusion to it?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Broken Wings

It's brand new.

I can't sell it as I believe that it's unsafe as designed.

I just got this email from the owner of the company.

John,
We have been at the Joe Nall Fly-In in South Carolina for a week and I get home today and find a buyer dispute on my PayPal account for the 67" Fusion you received. First you call paypal and have that dropped immediately. You give me a phone number and I will call you and discuss this with you.

John Drake, Owner
Ohio Model Products

I told him that I had called and for him to check his machine.

DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED HARDWARE THAT COMES WITH THE OMP FUSION 67 ARF!!!!

The threads on the servo to control horn linkage rods are undersize and could pull away causing LOSS OF CONTROL.

Inspect the threads carefully if you have bought one of these models as the threads on the control linkage(s) are so poorly machined that they vary in size by .033” inches to their mating ball link or aileron horn.

This is not opinion or speculation; anyone can obtain this information from a machinist handbook.

I measured the threads and they are not a standard “size” neither Metric nor SAE American thread.

Per OMP instructions the use servos ranging from 70 in-oz of torque up to 130 in-oz high speed digitals can be used. The linkage rods can be pushed into the ball links and aileron horns over .250 inches without interference.

The supplied hinges have up to .012 inches of free play. The rivet isn’t coined properly and they are loose.

When the aluminum wing tube is installed through the fuselage there is a measured .325 inches of front to back or side play in the structure/wing tube.

Is this normal for a 90-120 size profile model? Or any model for that matter....

Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
AFSalmon

GaryGee,

Dang I hate to hear stories like that. I'm glad you really liked the Fusion. It surpassed all my expectations as well when I designed it. Draws a real nice precision line but on high rates it will 3D with the best of them. I really like using the Fusion to put together freestyle routines. Just about got mine done. Started a new one (last one got midaired) on Saturday and only have teh motor and rx/battery to install. All servos and linkages are installed. Since my YS110 hit the asphalt on the midair incident, it needs a rebuild so I'll have to borrow the OS 120AX from my 65" Yak for the time being.

BeachBrada, the Fusion as I described above is an all out freestyle plane which can perform precision circuits as well as all out 3D. It differs from the typical shorter coupled funfly which are designed purely for 3D flying. Out of all the OMP planes I've done the 67" Fusion is my all time favorite with the 80" Fusion being right behind that.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM
garygee

2009 Rhode Island Aeromodelers fun fly........OMP 67'' fusion represents. Why would you fly anything less ?

Name:	Ay74529.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1280711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57038.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	1280712