Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

47" Pro Yak Questions???

Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 47

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

I replaced the nylon wing bolt for a stainless steel one from homedepot. I just use a ratchet to tighten the wings together and the plane feels very sturdy............

Does anybody know for certain, what size bolt that is?
SAE -or- metric?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Ernie Misner

Jim if you are talking the OMP 47" Yak, it comes with a nylon, metric wing bolt. Apparently they work just fine. I wanted something steel and something standard threads though so I just used a #8 socked head bolt. Take a blind (or T nut they are called) and put a dab of epoxy around the edge and pull it into place right inside of the big metric blind nut that is already in the one wing half. Pretty darn easy. Then a ball driver will angle right in through the hatch for tightening it down. I've also used a #6 or 8 phillips head machine type screw and blind nut. A phillips screwderiver will angle right in there to tighten it also.

What engine are you going with on your Yak? I have a Saito 82 on my Edge and an OS 55 on the Yak. A 5 cell AAA battery works great and I just changed the zip ties for rubber bands on the tank since I had a couple of zip ties break from vibration with the Saito and some fuel foaming issues with the zip ties.

Ernie
Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Jim if you are talking the OMP 47'' Yak, it comes with a nylon, metric wing bolt............
That's the one, but my bolt seemed to 'jump' threads as it was tightened up. Not a great match of threads, nylon -to- steel.
So I just went out and got a steel one, all fine now!

What engine are you going with on your Yak? I have a Saito 82 on my Edge and an OS 55 on the Yak. A 5 cell AAA battery works great and I just changed the zip ties for rubber bands on the tank since I had a couple of zip ties break from vibration with the Saito and some fuel foaming issues with the zip ties.
Ernie
I've got a Saito 82, and will be using a 5 cell 2000mAh NiMh.
I went with 'J' hooks and rubber bands for holding my fuel tank. I do worry about flight time with the stock 6 oz. tank & the Saito 82

How are others here, attaching the cover for rcv/batt access?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67010.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1425068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36093.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1425069  
Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Ernie Misner

The 6 oz. tank works fine since most of the flying with these guys is usually in close and not at full throttle. I use 5 cell AAA packs, not AA to save some weight. They are 720mah but that's great for 4 or 5 flights before recharging.

Ernie
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Finally got back to finishing up my Proyak. Its all ready to go and will fly tomorrow for the first time. Weight came in a 4.75lbs....does that sound right? I was expecting a little lighter. Using an OS 55ax, Xoar 13x4, Hitec 311 on surfaces and Hitec 82mg on throttle.

Hope its as good as everyone says it is.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Ernie Misner

Yes, it's as good as they say it is. It probably weighs the same as mine with the 55 on it and that is plenty of power! The balance came out really neutral on mine and it spins upright or inverted great.

Ernie
Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
ro347

I was very skeptical of profiles at first. After flying this, I would definitely buy another. Something bigger would be great. They are easy to fly and so much fun.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
ro347

I got about 6 flights in today. I was the only one at the field, but really gives you time and focus to figure things out as you fly.

Ive got a couple of questions/issues i hope someone might be able to help with:

1) My knife edge seems to be really unstable. Either it wants to roll over, or pulls to either the belly or canopy. Never seems to be consistent. Any ideas? Running a Hitec 311 in the tail. Also seems to be a very fine line between knife edge and it wanting to tuck the tail bringing it to more of a hover. Using -50% expo - Futaba.

2) Ive been working on my hovering. Ive noticed there are times when the plane wants to torque roll. At times I try and counter with opposite aileron, yet seems to have no effect. It will continue to spin. Would the problem be that my servos aren't strong enough? Doesnt happen every time, but does happen. Also running Hitec HS-311 on ailerons.

3) When flying around in a harrier, the plane has the tendancy to want to turn left. Why would this be? Ive got one washer under the front engine mount bolts. Would this possible be a thrust angle problem with an additional washer being the solution? Dont seem to have any other thrust angle issues during other maneuvers.

I figured I'd put these out there in case someone has had experience resolving them, and might also be able to help someone else other than myself.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Ernie Misner

Try KEing up at altitude at first, not too slow, lots of throttle and only a little rudder will be required to hold the nose up. Then as you get more used to it you'll find that as you slow down and use more rudder that your skills will improve and it will lock in much better.

Torque rolling puts hardly any strain on the ailerons. Give it a blast of throttle to get some air moving past the ailerons then your command will take effect.

Get the 2 1/2 degree thrust plates from OMP and give that a try. Still lots of practice is required to be quick in a harrier. Try it inverted where the tail hangs down into the prop stream more.

Ernie
Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

The 6 oz. tank works fine since most of the flying with these guys is usually in close and not at full throttle. I use 5 cell AAA packs, not AA to save some weight. They are 720mah but that's great for 4 or 5 flights before recharging.

Ernie

Do tell.....I have been looking for one of these and they look at me like I am crazy......I need a 6V (Less than 2000MaH) (Lighter than a 2000MaH) AAA pack to balance properly on another project.....I hope to jam a 6V 2000 hydromax into my profile I am building......
Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Ernie Misner

I order them from Cheap Battery Packs.com, click on the links to have them make up a 5 cell AAA pack using the Sanyo 720mah cells. It will come in your mail box real fast and cheap.

Ernie
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Also the weight of the prop will have an affect on torque rolling. A heavy prop such as the APC will tend to make the plane want to spin more when hovering. Makes it harder to learn to hover. A really light prop such as a Xoar wood provides less inertial torque and thus less affect on the airframe. That equals easier to learn to hover.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Ernie Misner

A large diameter and low pitch prop = hovering heaven also.

Ernie
Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
ro347

Using a 13x4 on an OS 55ax. Ive figured it out. Things have been pretty good.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
tamro

Can someone send me pictures of a way you mounted an OS70 . the HS85 servo is not reaching the Throttle lever horizontally. thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM
GiMsAcE

Hi all about to get a yellow ProYak and I'm going to use either a os 50 or 55ax not sure yet!.

I'm a little confused about the best prop to use with this engine and frame combo.

Is the best prop an APC 13X4 sport or 13X4W ??.

Is the wood Xoar 13X4 another a good option?.

I was thinking of getting a APC 12.75X3.25 what you guys think??.

Any feedback will be appreciate it!!.

Greg.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Ernie Misner

I have the 55 and can tell you that with the pro yak (great combination!) the APC 13x4 is perfect. (not the wide one, which does work but the spool up is too slow) The last prop you mentioned works good on a .46 but is not enough prop for the 55.

Go with the 55 on that plane and you will love it like I do mine. Another great engine is the Saito 82.

If you use the 55 get the mac's one piece black muffler that is the extra volume one, made just for the 55. Night and day difference in performance overall and a huge weight savings over the stock 55 muffler. I have two of these mufflers now they work so good.

Ernie
Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 AM
GiMsAcE

Hi Ernie thank you for your feedback its really very helpfull I will definetly look out for the macs muffler you mentioned,I will be using JR DS821 HV servos on the plane.

I will order the APC 13X4 sport props,any other prop recomendation??.

Really looking forward to flying the plane I have read that its a very nice and fun plane to fly and is a 3D monster.

Best regards!.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 AM
GiMsAcE

Ernie can you give me a link for the muffler??.
Does it need a adapter??.

Thanks.

Greg
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Ernie Misner

If you're doing 3D type aerobtics you won't need any other prop than the 13x4 APC. You'll love it. Here is the link to the Mac's one piece black muffler for the 55. Be sure and get this one, not the one for the .46. It fits too but does not give the power boost.

If you go to Outlaw Hobbies they have this same basic mac's muffler, but it has a twist in it that is slightly better for profile planes. It costs more money and all it does is sweeps the muffler body a little further from the fuselage, especially if you use right thrust in the engine mount. I have both and they give the same power boost which is amazing.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXYM3&P=ML

No this muffler does not need an adaptor.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Pattern freak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all I need some help on getting a building manual for my pro Yak V3 ARF.
Can some one have a PDF file? would highly appreciate any help!.
Thanks!.