Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Edge 540 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
YellowPeril

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540 help

OK I have the Edge 540 with OS 55AX and the cg is at 5" from the leading edge. The plane flys great but I have acouple problems. I'm not the best flyer, kinda still learning but here goes.

1) The plane will not perform an elevator. It will rock forward and back as the nose drops. Sometimes a wing will also drop.

2) In a flat spin the nose drops, and ina hover .......... the planewants to fall out of it .

Do I need to move the cg back more, or isthis something else?

Brian

Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Edge 540 help

I think my CG is right around 4 3/4 back. It flys nice and level inverted. So far this has been the best CG for me, Im still learning to 3D and I have mostly been trying to get my hover lower. It seems to hover good at this CG, if I move it anymore back it seems a little more squirrelly than I like it to be. Try and get your CG so that the plane flys level hands off inverted then go from there. Add weight to the nose or tail to suit your style.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

How is the lateral balance? There should be NO down thrust and maybe just a little right thrust.

You will need a little throttle in the elevator to have air moving over the surfaces so you can control the descent.
They don't go perfectly straight down like on the sim, you'll need just a little forward motion.

Hovering:
Get the expo down below 25% on the tail.
Don't try to hold the throttle still. You will find it easier bobbing the throttle a bit.
You probably need to lean it back a little more than you think to get it locked in.
If the wind is present, lit it drift with the wind at first because it will keep you in a slight harrier if you hold the position.

Burn lots of fuel. This stuff takes practice.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

For cg....Fly the plane inverted....you should be able to fly it with just a touch of down elevator. Start there.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
YellowPeril

Thanks guys I will try all of this. I was not using power on the elevator and I know my expo is much higher then 25%.

What is a good set-up for low and high rates on the D/R and Expo ?

Thanks, Brian

Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Everyone has their own opinion but I don't use dual rates for 3D. Low rates can get you in trouble when you need high rates to get out.

I set all my expo at 20% with as much throw as the airframe will allow.
Usually 45 degrees on ailerons each way and 50 degrees each way on the elevator and as much rudder as the elevator will allow.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

I couldn't agree more with the advice given above. Also keep in mind that doing an elevator manuever with a 40 size plane with really light wing loading just isn't going to happen like you see with a 30 lb giant scale plane. They are really just too light. Keep a little throttle in and this helps keep the tail down (need the airflow!). Remember when we fly 3D we are really flying with "vectored thrust" so unless you have airflow over the surfaces you will not have any control authority. Hope this all helps. oh, yea......burn lots of fuel and keep practicing!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM
YellowPeril

Is there a download of the 47" Edge 540for Realflight 4.5?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Not that I know of.