RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/omp-ohio-model-products-support-forum-261/)
-   -   Fusion ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/omp-ohio-model-products-support-forum-261/4552694-fusion-arf.html)

sb13 07-27-2006 06:55 PM

Fusion ARF

I started my Fusion last night and I'm really pleased with this airplane. It is very easy to put together. In the short time I had I managed to glue in the stabs, hinge everything, install the landing gear and the tail wheel and sealed all of the hinges as well as go over the entire plane with my iron although it did'nt really need it in many places. Do check the pre installed hinges. They come glued in one half of each surface and I had to reglue some but no biggie. I'm going to install the fuel tank and a couple of other things tonight. This plane looks awsome and I'm really excited about it. I've had the version 2 Katana 70 and if this plane is as good as the Kat I will be one happy pilot.

AFSalmon 07-27-2006 07:09 PM

RE: Fusion ARF

Trust me you will be verypleased at the Fusion. A different plane than the Kat in many ways. The Kat 70 is the all around best 90 size funfly however teh Fusion will excell at everything including 3d, IMAC, and 3d! A more advanced plane for sure. And on the hinges you SHOULD glue both sides as they are only tacked in place on one side for ease of assembly. Same way you would do all CA hinges.

sb13 07-27-2006 09:02 PM

I figured they were actually glued but now that you said that about being tacked it makes since. I did do both sides and they are strong. I see you have to cut out your own place for the throttle servo?? I did'nt feel a spot pre cut under the covering so is this the case? Thanks for any tips you might be able to give.

AFSalmon 07-29-2006 12:36 PM

Yes, there is a spot on the right side behind the engine for the throttle servo. It is sized for the minis like the Hitec 81 or 85 servos. You can enlarge if you prefer a standard size servo.

EXTREME3DRC 07-31-2006 10:41 AM

will the hs-55 or EFlite s75's work? I have a bunch of those laying around for foamies..

sb13 07-31-2006 01:45 PM

Mike, My ARF does not have that spot cut out for the throttle servo. It's just not there. I was also missing some nuts for the control horn screws. I had some so no big deal.

EXTREME3DRC 08-01-2006 10:52 AM

Got my arf in today. Mine's the 52" in Solid Yellow. This plane is gonna be awesome. and it's strong built and lite. hopefully i'll get some graphics cut for it today so I can start the build tonight. to bad there calling for a tropical storm to hit this weekend. maybe it'll miss us.

Hobby-Motory 08-01-2006 03:23 PM

SB13,

those are all laser cuts parts, it is allmost impossible that its not there.
it should be very close to the engine mount in center and on the right fuse side offcurse.
you better double check it.

can you see the line for servo wire goes from center wing location forward toward the engine ?

sb13 08-01-2006 04:28 PM

I do see the line for the servo wires but I have triple checked it and dont see the servo cut out still. Not sure whats up. I know where it should be but again, dont see it. I will post about it if and when I find it.

Just Plane Nuts 08-01-2006 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this picture and it should give you an idea where the cut-out should be.
Dale

sb13 08-01-2006 07:47 PM

I've got my fuel tank mounted with the zip ties going through the fuse and I'm thinking that maybe the zip tie is covering it up. It looks to be in that area. I'll have to check it out. I have'nt worked on it the last couple of days but plan on doing more tomoorow. Thanks for your help.

SNARLACLES 08-02-2006 01:33 PM

is a S.T. 90 gonna be enuff to pull this plane around?(67"fusion)

sb13 08-02-2006 01:56 PM

I found the throttle servo cut out. The fuel tanks zip tie was blocking it. Now I will install the throttle servo when it gets here and deal with the tanks zip tie afterwards. Glad thats finally over with, finding the cut out that is. Thanks for the help guys.

AFSalmon 08-03-2006 03:55 PM

COOL! And yes the ST 90 is plenty. The ARFs are coming in really light also!

jaybenson5 09-13-2006 11:29 PM

Where did the carbon gear pictured in post#10 come from? Can I get some?

AFSalmon 09-14-2006 07:30 AM

Good question. That gear came as a sample gear from China with the prototype ARFs last Spring. They were very brittle and not strong enough at all. Honestly I would never put CF gear on a profile. Every one I've seen including the aftermarket brands break with little abuse. CF is strong and light but does not take "shock" loads very well.

Barry Cazier 09-24-2006 05:44 PM

:)Question...

I'm just finishing my Fusion 67". I'm ready to balance. In the manual it states to start with an 8-8.5" CG from the leading edge of the wing at the root. I'm comparing this to my other planes and that seems like a long ways back. Is that an accurate measurement? I know all planes fly differently but...I just want to double check before I fly and have a problem. Is 8.5" on the CG right?

Thanks
Barry

flatlandmike 09-24-2006 09:20 PM

Barry i thought the same thing but it turned out that the 8.5 was an ok cg for this plane. Goes against every thing you know to have a ch further back than half the root of the wing lol but it works out great.

IowaSilvia 09-25-2006 04:39 AM

8.5" is great. Go for it. You will like it.

AFSalmon 09-25-2006 07:52 AM

CG for a given aircraft is based on where the center of lift is and what stability factors you want. Keep in mind the Fusion has a swept wing so the center of lift is further aft than you think. You are going to get a BIG smile when you first fly the Fusion. 8.5" is where I balance my Fusion as well.

Barry Cazier 09-25-2006 09:37 AM

:)Mike...

Thanks for the info. I'm in the final assembly stages. I should have it done in a day or two. I started the balance process last night and with the engine taped on got it to balnce at the 8.5" CG. Now I gotta go back and hard mount the engine and figure a way to mount the battery. I think I'm going to mount it in the wing. It's right on the front edge of the aileron when my balance is right.

Another question (sorry). Is there a lateral balance problem with the profiles. It seems if I balance the plane static, when I add fuel there will be a big difference. Also as fuel is used it will change the CG and the lateral balance. Do I try to balance laterally at some happy medium or balance exactly without fuel and forget it?

As I said eariler, this is my first profile. I want it to fly right.

Thanks
Barry

flatlandmike 09-25-2006 03:02 PM

The laterall cg is not effected by fuel burn off like you think; its so minimal that you wont see it being that the fuel is so close to the center line. I never noticed it and im picky to lat and long cg changes. The cg shifts a smidge to the rear with fuel burn off but it is not something that can be fixed with smaller planes.

AFSalmon 09-26-2006 07:22 AM

The best way to mount the batteries is in the left wing using a Y-harness with the switch and left aileron servo. Mount the switch in the top sheeting or hatch cover of the left wing, run the battery into the switch as normal but then take the output of the switch and run that into a Y-harness. Plug the aileron servo into the other side of the Y-harness and then plug the tail end of the Y into the rx aileron channel. This works because you can plug the battery into any channel on a rx. The power pins are bussed across all connectors. Very cool trick and maintains only one connector between the wing and fuselage. Most Fusions will balance with the battery in the wing so this works great. If you need to use the front hatch area, you can do the same Y-harness technique with the throttle servo or just run the battery lead back as normal.

T Smith 10-04-2006 11:28 PM

I started building my ARF tonite. Got to the hardware kit and I'm kinda lost. What are the little green plastic washers for? Also on the surface control hardware do the small screws for the pin get a nut? Hope this isn't too dumb of a question.

AFSalmon 10-05-2006 07:21 AM

Not a dumb question as we asked the same thing! LOL Have no idea what those are and they were a surprise to us when the ARFs got here. Just ignore them or toss them in your junk drawer! If I understand your other question you are asking about the screws that go through the clevises and control horns. They insert through one side of the clevis and self thread into the other side. Don't overtighten or you will pinch the control horn coupler.