Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Another Sky Scooter ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 02:24 PM
cajunflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Sky Scooter ?

I have done several mods to my scooter like making the forced air ram and exit etc. The next thing I am thinking about is getting the "cup" out of the bottom of the wing. Has anyone here done this yet? If so what low weight material have you used? The air has to cavitate under that wing so I figured this would pick up the speed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Caj
Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
jettstarblue

Cajunflyer,

The wing has a high "undercamber" so it will make a lot of lift at low speed. Lots of lift, lots of drag.
Try this-using some of those foam trays from the meat/deli at your local grocer, make 3-4 ribs per side, and cover with some Saran wrap, or similar film.
It may take a few tries to get the ribs right, and you can stick the ribs on with a LITTLE epoxy. Stick the saran wrap on with tape at the leading edge, and after stretching lightly, attatch at the trailing edge. Seal the opening at the tips, and the root/fuselage with tape too.
The key here being not to add any more weight than possible.

Let me know how it works for you.

Jetts
Old 08-03-2003, 09:17 PM
jettstarblue

Almost forgot, you can use the "elevon" mixing on your radio, move the servos to the inner wing area, (so you have one hooked to each aileron horn) reflex the ailerons about 3 degrees up, remove the horizontal stab, and elevator, and fly it as a flying wing.

Jetts
Old 08-04-2003, 02:23 AM
cajunflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Thank you for the reply and the ideas. I have never flown with mixing so I will leave that alone for now. I have a friend here that is going to get me started in combat so I will wait for wing/mixing flight then. As for the rib idea I like. I was considering just plain poster board and seal of the ends with tape.

I am self taught in flying and this is my thrid fuse but I got it down now. I did loops and rools all day today and got a hang of the plane. I don't care what anyone says..these electric planes(or atleast the scooter) is tough to fly if you have never flown before. My trainer is so much easier to fly than this thing. Only easy part to flying the scooter is the landing part..I have not mastered landing the trainer yet. As of now I am not allowed to fly my Super Chipmonk, and that is the plane that got me started in this hobby. I happened to be in a local hobby shop and saw this plane. Instant love for me . I asked about the price and what all that included. I was not up on this hobby/sport so I figured the $550 price tag was a plane with an engine and that is it. The fella told me it included a radio as well, JR fx or xf, whichever, 622. This whole set up is brand new never flown and fully assembled. All I have to do is learn to fly and break it in. Wife did not realize it is going to take me several planes for training before I fly it..hehehehe. Also the plane has an OS 61. Can't wait to fly it.
CAJ
Old 08-04-2003, 01:12 PM
LuckyArmpit

Cajun, what you shoulda started with is a T-52 from JK Aerotech.
52 inch foam wing with 10 degrees dihedral. All foam and coroplast kit. Power it with a geared 400 or 480. Don't care what anyone says, hands down this is the most durable trainer.
Very easy to fly. And if my 86 year old granny can fly it, anyone can! And, durable as hell!!!! The last motor I had in mine was
a mag mayhem reverse w/3 to 1 MAS gearbox and 12x8 folding prop. That setup will make the T-52 ballistic!

Dave...