Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Super Cub LP wont balance

Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 AM
wopachop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cub LP wont balance

Bought this super cub lp used on ebay. Its in immaculate condition the previous owner says it flied perfect for him and he never even balanced it. He flies it upside down and everything.

My buddy tried to fly it and says its waaaay too tail heavy. He owns a cub himself and is extremely experienced with RC.

So ive been reading up on balancing planes. Ive got 80 grams sitting on the nose and the plane is still tail heavy.

I must be doing something wrong here.

Made my marks 2.25 inches back from leading edge of wing. But i have the plane sitting about 2.5inches back because its still so tail heavy.

Battery is installed and as far forward as possible.

Here is the ebay add from the previous owner incase that helps with mods and weight distribution:

This is a Hobbyzone Super Cub Lp, with lots of awesome customizations and modifications. The whole thing is wrapped with packaging tap to make it very strong. The wing holder has a piece of small wood to make it stronger. The battery box has been customized to take a larger E-Flite 2100 mah battery for longer flights and has been reinforced with wood also. The rear tail wheel is upgraded along with the front landing gear, which is custom laser cut aluminum. For a little more power a 10x8 prop. This is a great beginner plane and good for the pros as well. It flies great and is in perfect shape. It is a channel 4 of 6. Includes the plane, remote, charger, battery, bomb drop module (that has been modified to hold an egg), an extra motor, lots of different sized props, and a lot of misc parts. This plane has never been crashed, and is in perfect condition.

Love to hear advice. Had the plane 2 weeks and still have yet to fly the sucker im goin nuts here!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM
wopachop

Default RE: Super Cub LP wont balance

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53807.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1562226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40678.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1562227  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM
wopachop

as you can see im still learning the forum and how to post pics

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

My guess is that a lot of the awesome modifications have added weight behind the cg. I would particularly look to see where the 2100mah lipo is, and if it crosses the correct cg point, consider using a shorter or smaller battery that will have more of its mass forward of the cg.

Just guessing though! Hope this helps...Chris
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

If your buddy is "extremely experienced" in RC, then why don't he help you balance it?

Use the recommended COG that is in the manual, if you don't have the manual then get the correct COG at HorizonHobby.com for this plane.

You have a good balance checker so if it's tail heavy, add some nose weight, try to move the battery back and forth as much as possible to make COG Changes, even cutting away some foam to move the battery more is sometimes helpful, but if that doesn't work, then you will have to use weights.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
wopachop

My buddy is awesome just didnt have time. We were dirt bike riding the planes were for extra fun. He is prolly well known on this site i would imagine.

The manual does not list GC. Been searching this forum for days and so far i see 2.25-2.5 being the range.

So the goal is to have the battery close to centered with the planes COG?

I have the battery set up just like he sent it to me. The previous owner was cool he put little notes at spots to help me. Like with the battery he wrote it likes to get caught on the little white plug. I have it as far forward as possible.

Its weird how he flew it flawlessly. But the plane is so tail heavy its pretty much unfliable. The heck am i missing here?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
wopachop

Put it back on stand real quick. The back tail wing deal is level when i set the erasers 3 1/16" back from leading edge of wing.

When i set the plane at 2.5" back i have to push on the nose pretty good to level the plane out. The 80grams sitting on the nose wasnt even enough to level it.

Gotta go work just thought i would post real quick. Thanks for advice so far everyone!!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Wheelnut

Are you testing the COG with battery in or out?
You should be checking the COG with the battery in the plane.
If it is tail heavy, move the battery forward and recheck, repeat process until the plane is a little nose heavy. The plane will fly best when it is a little nose heavy. If you can't get the plane to balance on the COG spot by moving the battery forward, then you will need to add some weight to the nose.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
wopachop

Yes battery is installed as far forward as possible. It fits in a little plastic cage so i hope to not tear into it.
But the plane needs so much weight to balance i need to change something....i think.
Still wondering how the previous owner flew the plane so easy being so tail heavy.
Also wonder if 2.5 is indeed the COG im looking for.
That super cub thread is gigantic i keep looking around.
Would love for someone to just set me straight here.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Wheelnut

What battery are you using?
After reading your first post again I see that it has a custom battery box and it sounds like the designer didn't get the COG right. That means you probably need to move the battery more forward.
Oh, and never believe the previous owner from Ebay.

This video is very informative. It also says 2.25" from LE.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq2VeC9-n9Q[/youtube]
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM
wopachop

Cool video man thank you for that!!!!

Well today i officially flew my first RC plane. That was fun im 32 been wanting to try this since i was a kid. I got home and there was about an hour of sunlight left. So i started throwing weight on the Cub. You guys are prolly gonna laugh when you see the pics.

I went into garage and tipped over the old ass coffee can of nuts and bolts. Again dont laugh...but i attached two big metal nuts to the motor. The elasticity of electrical tape sorta squeezes them on there. Motor is offset so i put the heavier nut on the long side. Then a big rusted washer i taped to the bottom nose of the cub. Its prolly blocking air flow but again screw it i needed to fly. Finally i used 4 quarters on the windshield.

Cub is now slightly nose heavy at 2.25"....and also gained Oprah weight

The two nuts are 30 grams a piece, 4 quarters about 22 grams, not sure about the washer but its big.

Am i gonna burn up the motor with all that weight? I agree the battery must be the culprit. Surprised previous owner could fly it so well. Its a 2100mah 3 cell lipo Wheelnut.

I took pics of the weights for your viewing pleasure. Will try to attach them i had trouble before. Should be 3 pics. Enjoy!!

Oh yeah...the landing gear wire deal is in the way. Cant move battery any more forward. I try searching for super cub with 2100 battery but only found one and it was not helpful. Gotta think its a common mod. Maybe not...

Name:	Ig13410.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1562620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24575.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1562621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53534.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1562622  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
1320Fastback

I used to put my 2200 Lipo inside on top of the stock battery tray.

Thats some serious weight there for this little foamie
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Rimripper

There is no need to add all the weight for ballast,your wasting WAY to much power carting that stuff around.
I would have left some some negative feed back for this item,as it was not RTF,you've had to add so much weight to get it to fly and/or balance.
What did your experianced R/C friend say about the set-up you have to fly?
Like others have said I would start to cut foam away and start shifting the batt. forward,adding ballast weight is kinda of a last resort option.

Once you get a cog you will find that you have more power,longer flight times and a WAY lighter plane.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
wopachop

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I used to put my 2200 Lipo inside on top of the stock battery tray.

Thats some serious weight there for this little foamie
Very interesting. The cub is used so im not sure what the original battery tray looks like.
Wish i could move mine more forward but the landing gear wire is in the way.
Any advice? Thinking of just buying a couple smaller lipo batteries.
Figured the 2100 batt was a common mod with the super cub but maybe not..

Name:	Jh14605.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1562825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41883.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1562826  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 AM
wopachop

ORIGINAL: Rimripper

There is no need to add all the weight for ballast,your wasting WAY to much power carting that stuff around.
I would have left some some negative feed back for this item,as it was not RTF,you've had to add so much weight to get it to fly and/or balance.
Like others have said I would start to cut foam away and start shifting the batt. forward,adding ballast weight is kinda of a last resort option.

Once you get a cog you will find that you have more power,longer flight times and a WAY lighter plane.
The previous owner has been super cool and answered all my ebay questions.

My experienced RC buddy doesnt know about all the weight i added yet. Maybe ill send him link to this thread.

I hear ya about all that extra weight. Check out the pics i cant really move that battery any more forward
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
wopachop

Well second flight of my life and things going pretty good. Kept all the weight on it for now. The landing is pretty hard for beginner its coming at me with little cross wind and there is a big ole trailer on one side and 4 trucks on the other Trying to land in driveway.

So i keep doing big circles cause im not liking any my approaches. Look behind me for split second trying to gauge my landing again and boom plane is nose diving. Such a rookie mistake im pretty low to the ground already about to crash...but i gas it full blast and try to pull up...then i cut the throttle cause i realize its all over johnny....little cub looked like it was a bird about to dive bomb into the lake and come out with a fishy.

Broke the nose cone deal and one of the wing strap things. I was disappointed in myself i hoped to never crash. Oh well.

One thing is for sure though...the full frontal nose dive into the solid ground has proven the battery cant move any further forward in the cage
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
wopachop

Only hobby shop in town dont carry super cub parts. Think it was hobby people or something.

Was all bummed i wanted to mix chores around house with flying woohoo.

My cowl pretty much shattered but i taped it up. Right strut busted so i wired it. Good to go third flight was fun. Its kinda windy out there im leery to start pulling weight off as some have suggested. Little cubby all over the place. I feel dumb but i cracked the rudder right there by the rear landing gear. Its not broken just folded. Little bit of play there. Man i hoped to keep the plane in prestine condition like i got it but looks like this cub gonna take a beating.

I need to research more sorry for simple questions but where do most you guys like to buy super cub parts?

Name:	Nl30023.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1563071  
Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Rimripper

If he helped you out why didnt he tell you how to balance it?i would be very disapointed in buying a plane that had to have so much weight added to it.My super cub was the easiest plane to fly Ive ever had.
i would be concerend that he never flew it because he couldnt cg it after he added all the mods.have you contacted him again and asked why it doesnt cg?
ORIGINAL: wopachop

ORIGINAL: Rimripper

The previous owner has been super cool and answered all my ebay questions.

My experienced RC buddy doesnt know about all the weight i added yet. Maybe ill send him link to this thread.

I hear ya about all that extra weight. Check out the pics i cant really move that battery any more forward
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
wopachop

Oh yeah for sure i have sent a bunch of messages back and forth. Like posted earlier he says it flies great. Just trim it out and the sucker is a blast to fly. He has flown lots of planes so i guess a tail heavy super cub was easy for him.
My buddy who tested it was flying in some pretty gnarly wind. Like the motor was going but the plane was not moving forward at times.

I guess some guys use the bigger battery just fine. Wonder what theyre doing i hope searching leads to an informative post. If anyone has advice how to clearance out the batt tray im all ears
Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Rimripper

well tail heavy planes DO NOT fly good,plain and simple.Ask him where it cg'd.dont tell him you cant,seems to fishy.It should balance a little nose heavy or level,not tail heavy.I hope you can figure it out.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
wopachop

Says he never balanced it.
Trying to search and learn how others are running the larger batt. Hoping fastback responds again.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Wheelnut

Did you get it balanced?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 AM
wopachop

maxHeadSpeed posted a very helpful link in the supercub thread. gonna put the bigger lipo in vertically.

hoping i can make time this weekend to mess with it. the batt that came with the plane is dead.

ordered a decent charger and 4 batteries but i dont know the proper ways to charge. made a help me thread but its so basic nobody responded.

not enough time lately. gots to roll to work...thanks for participaing senior wheelie nut