Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick Parts

Old 08-24-2003, 06:15 PM
ACRpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Parts

Hello All,

I have a Slow Stick with the EPS-300C power unit on it. I am new to rc flying and have played lawn dart with my plane a few times. In the last crash it hit hard enough to break the motor mount, prop and bend the drive shaft at about a 45 degree angle. I saw that horizon has some parts on their web site but they don't list what goes to what. My question is can anyone tell me if the drive shaft part no. GWS6A is the correct one for the plane and what gear ratio motor kit is the correct one or if a different one is better? Also what motor mount is the correct one? And is the gear puller really needed? If so which one is the correct one for the EPS-300C? Or should I get an EDP-400C system it looks like it is direct drive and held in by a rubber band so I would think it is less likely to break. Would weight and run time become an issue with that motor.

On my last flight I actually got 5 minutes of air time in before I crashed. Whoo Hoo

Thanks
Patrick
Old 08-24-2003, 07:45 PM
eflyer2

Default Slow Stick Parts

Patrick,

Easyest way out is to by a new motor/gearbox for about $15.00, or get yourself a complete set of new parts by spending $32.00 for another SS kit and using it as a parts kit, the plane is one of those great flyers that comes along every now and then and is worth having the parts on hand if you have to repair it, and you will from time to time.
If you stop to think about all the fun you are having with it thirty two bucks for a complete parts kit is cheap insurance.

EF
Old 08-24-2003, 08:19 PM
ACRpilot

Default Slow Stick Parts

Smacks head with hand. Why didn't I think of that. The motor unit is $21.99 online at Horizon. I can get a kit locally for $35.00. I'm sure I'll mangle a wing sooner or later. Thanks for the idea.

I would still like to get the drive shaft if it is the correct one. I figure I can use the extra motor in the field then replace drive shafts at home if need be.

Here's a link to the page at Horizon for the drive shaft.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...asp?prod=GWS6A
Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 PM
eflyer2

Default Slow Stick Parts

Patrick,

Glad I could help, here is another tip, for when you get your " new parts kit ", if you ever have one of those "I feel brave days", cut the wing tips off at the outside edges of the false ailerons on either side of the wing, then put the wing together as per the instructions and try it out, I think you will be surprised on how much more responsive the plane becomes, some people have cut the overall length of the aluminum boom by a couple of inches along with this mod and say it works very well.

Have fun and keep 'em in the air, mostly with the shiney side up.....Grin..

EF
Old 08-24-2003, 09:18 PM
sierra gold

Default Slow Stick Parts

Hi Patrick,

To answer a question that hasn't been answered:

You don't want a DD S400 motor on a Slow Stick. Direct drive is for fast airplanes and usually uses a 6x3 prop. You need the geared EPS 300 motor and the larger 11x8 or 12x6 prop.

Balsa Products has a good supply of GWS stuff. Try looking here:

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/EPS300C.asp

I bought a second "parts" kit also. Really comes in handy.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Foxtrot_019

Default Slow Stick Parts

In response to post #4
I have also cut the wing tips off. However I also took a lot of material off the horizontal stab to prevent flutter. I like to play 3D with my Slow Stick, Hovering, looping, watter falling, etc... Another fun idea is to put a speed 400 brush less on the Slow Stick (if you have the wallet for it).

-Foxtrot
Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 AM
ACRpilot

Default Slow Stick Parts

Thanks for the info everyone. I will most likely be ordering some things from Balsa Products soon.

I think I'll wait on hacking the wings until I can at least land successfully. BTW what is exactly3D flying?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:23 PM
e-bird

Default Slow Stick Parts

All parts includeing wing's and. CU
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/serv...rtBy=PriceDesc