Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius in here?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius in here?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius in here?

Richard, I agree with Rich that you probably have a battery issue. CheapBatteryPacks.com should be able to get you whatever battery you need. A possible send problem is that the original motor is pulling too many amps and the esc is shutting you down. You might want to go to your local hobby store with the motor and see if they can match it. The motor should be pretty cheap. I found that my UM 4-site needed a new motor by having odd cutouts, needing my throttle etc. That was at 80 flights.

I hope I was somewhat helpful.

Fern
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
rszanti

Thanks, it does look like the battery. Although the one that came with the unit (600 mAh) has never been used, with that battery the unit shuts down in that 10 seconds I mentioned. This after a full (overnight) charge. With a different battery (1100 mAh) it will run at full throttle for about two minutes. So I'll go looking for some replacements.

Concerning replacements - I've seen where some are using a LiPo but it's not clear (to me) if that's simply a replacement battery or if the ESC was switched out at the same time. Is it possible to just insert a 7.4 volt LiPo as a substitute and have it work without any other changes ?

Richard
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
mad web tv scientist

Richard, yes, simply plugging in a 7.4 volt battery works well with good a AB. I use a higher amperage "plug system" consisting of two little red plugs connected in parallel instead of only one that can cause problems. The AB is such a good plane that I recommend owning at least one back up. This makes parts substitution trouble shooting very useful as well as providing confidence of being able to fly even if one plane is down for some reason.

Good luck,

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

You will need a different charger. I started with lipo so nimh was never in my world. NiCads and I agree to disagree. I might have a little el cheapo 2s 3s lipo charger you can have. I just found it. It needs a 12 v wall wart to power it, but it is balancing charger. Let me know. Use a PM.

Fern
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
rszanti

Thanks for the offer Fern. But I do have a LiPo charger.

Richard
Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM
PeterClose

Hi All, I have just discovered that my Guan Li Thunderbird is a re-branded Accipiter badius! Very interesting reading this thread as my experience with the tail heaviness and wing breaking at the root ( fixed with duct tape) is just like everyone else. The problem I have nowis thatafter acrash the plane is completely dead although the battery is fully charged and the motor runs ok when I tested it outside the plane. I thought it might be the esc but now I wonderif it might be more likely that the reciever is damaged as it was unsecured in the fuselage. I havent read all the threads but do you think that a dead rx is more likely than a dead esc with this plane?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
rszanti

Peterclose -

You didn't mention if it was just the motor or other control functions (elevator/rudder) too. Could be many things in either case, the Rx crystal could have popped out of it's socket, this being the first thing I would look for. Next to that a broken wire is probably the most likely problem after a crash. It could also be a cracked board in the Rx or ESC, for most of us substituting parts is the only way to check for problems in these items.

RIchard

Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
PeterClose

Thanks Richard. The full story sounds a bit lame but here goes... I got this plane last week and after putting it together as per the weird chinese translation turned on the TX and then the switch on the plane. Pressing the red button the engine started up but I found that sliding the throttle to the fully closed position only reduced the revs to about 50% so the range of power was fast to very fast. I was a bit disapointed at this as I expected to be able to fly the plane up to altitude and then shut off the power to glide down again. In my newbie ignorance I shrugged and thought with was probably the built-in crapness one gets with a cheaper product and went out to fly the plane. To avoid landing it with the prop spinning hard I resorted to cuttung the power on the TX at the last moment ( I now know that this is a baaad thing). I had a few reasonable flights ( struggling with the tail heaviness) and a few light crashes ( taped the wings) then after a slightly heavier nose-first impact the whole thing has gone dead. No response at all. I checked all the wiring and nothing seems loose. I took the motor out and briefly connected it to the battery so it spun up. Knowing what I now know I would have put the plane back in the box and sent it back as faulty. Where would I find 'the crystal' inside the reciever I guess....?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
PeterClose

Checked the crystal and it is firmly in place.......unfortunately.
BTW the sort of deadness is the sort you would get if you forgot to hook up the battery.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
rszanti

Peterclose -

Not sure how to help you from this point on. The crystal could also be broken (internally) on impact. If you can't borrow a substitute, a replacement is ony $6. For the other possibilities -

I have a servo tester (
http://www.toysonics.com/esky-servo-tester-adjuster-ek2-0907.html). If I was testing I would connect the servo tester to the Rx input of the ESC and attempt to run the motor just using the ESC. This takes the RX out of the loop.

You can also hook a 4.8 volt  battery directly to the Rx and see if it will now work and drive your elev/rud servos. If it works, this would indicate the ESC is probably at fault.

By the way, a replacement plane is only $55 (
http://www.wonderhobby.com/rtfelectric.html) and you can get a replacement Rx or ESC for $10 each (http://www.raidentech.com/3acbay3recoa.html).

Richard
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
PeterClose

Many thanks Richard. I will try those suggestions. Thanks for the links to spare parts which are very reasonably priced. Unfortunately postage to the uk is $28! I will see if i can find a supplier nearer home.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
mad web tv scientist

rszanti & PeterClose, you gentlemen have inspired me to take my own advice with my newest modified but substandard performing AB. I added Spektrum equipment to my newest, lightest AB in order to avoid both the need to carry an extra transmitter as well as the possibility of interference.

The problem is the obviously lower power level of the stock motor on the newest bird. I also added a separate rudder servo
in order to operate the rudder separately from my taped on flaperons that are gang tuned to the rudder on my other ABs. I deliberately left the stock servos in the plane in order to keep it as stock as possible. Since I stocked up on spare motors I need to get serious about finding a better performing one. I may have to also substitute lighter servos to bring the ship up to my performance requirements.

Before performing the electronic mods, I noticed then that the new machine wasn't quite up to the performance level of an older, heavier polly wing equipped plane that performs perfectly for me; though the new plane was still "reasonably" adequate in demonstration and training potential. I left out the mention of the very convincing square and triangle loops that I enjoy performing with it to show just how capable a structurally modified AB can fly in my last flying discussion post.

I enjoy spoofing the C/L'ers about my R/C airplane's ability to fly "politically correct" soft "square corners" that are so worshiped by C/L'ers. My competition Stunter's ability to fly "real book-corners" as described in the Model Aviation magazine article about it plainly failed to glorify the right gods. I dearly love Park Flyers because of the absolute freedom to enjoy flight the way it was meant to be enjoyed!

Once I get the performance of the AB in question up to satisfactory levels, I will grab my "new in the box AB" and build a duplicate back up, providing, of course, that I can tear myself away from this keyboard and/or my fighters. As I tried but failed to communicate to brother Badius'ers in the beginning of my R/C career, people are much more important to me than planes.

The next link provides pictures and "forbidden text" you might enjoy, but be careful there is a lot of politically incorrect stuff in it.
CALL TO GLORY
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT, BUT BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SIX!

Over and out.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Galand

Does anyone know where I could buy a set of polyhedral wings for Badius?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Galand

ORIGINAL: Galand

I own two Badius Accipiter gliders bought from Nitroplanes. Where can I find replacement wings?
After an e-mail to Nitro they called me and are shipping 1 set of polyhedral wings.
Nice!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
mad web tv scientist

I own two Badius Accipiter gliders bought from Nitroplanes. Where can I find replacement wings?
After an e-mail to Nitro they called me and are shipping 1 set of polyhedral wings.
Nice!!!

Galand (almost a famous German fighter pilot's name - need one more "l") great to read about your successful R/C career here.

When your first post appeared I looked on both RaidenTech and WonderHobby web sites and learned that polyhedral wings were out of stock at both of these companies that had served my logistics needs so well in the past. It's very good news that you were able to find another good source of parts. The ABs will always be special to me as a very exciting way to learn about R/C. I hope they will always be available.

Owning at least two ABs is also a great way to keep at least one of them flying by using the parts substitution method to locate a failed part in the good remaining plane. In order to always enjoy the confidence of having a back up flyer on the field I ended up with three planes with a backup at home with two going with me to the flying field. The reasons I ended up with five (5) ABs is because of the change over from AM to FM and the realization when I needed a replacement transmitter or other parts that it just made sense to go ahead and buy a whole kit instead of only parts. I also stocked up on lots of spare wings. Yes, I crashed a lot mainly due to my somewhat less than ideal flight training program.

So, keep on having fun!

madwebtvscientist (I hope RCU will get its animated smileys working again.) ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Galand

@madwebtvscientist
The new polyhedral wing arrived today.
Yes having fun is the main thing.Learning to fly is definitely fun even if difficult. I understand that Galland also had a tough time in the beginning.
I have one AB still in stock configuration but I fly it with a 3 cell lipo. It really moves, but we'll see how long the stock motor lasts.
The other AB I have gutted except for the servo's and installed a Raiden 400T outrunner with a 20A ESC,my own Rx that goes with the cheap Flysky T6A and a 7x4 folding prop.
Flies very nicelyspecially since I installed also a FY-20A stabilizer gyro. It is amazing and allows me to cheat andpretend that I can really fly.
I recently finished a 900mm Spitfire. It flew a glorious 3 minutes with my son on the sticks but came to a sad end. He forgot that a Spit is no glider,he stalled it on approach (it has like twice the stall speed of an AB) and broke it in two.
It's all on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWO8iBdNnA
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
mad web tv scientist

@madwebtvscientist
The new polyhedral wing arrived today.
Yes having fun is the main thing.Learning to fly is definitely fun even if difficult. I understand that Galland also had a tough time in the beginning.
I have one AB still in stock configuration but I fly it with a 3 cell lipo. It really moves, but we'll see how long the stock motor lasts.
The other AB I have gutted except for the servo's and installed a Raiden 400T outrunner with a 20A ESC, my own Rx that goes with the cheap Flysky T6A and a 7x4 folding prop.
Flies very nicely specially since I installed also a FY-20A stabilizer gyro. It is amazing and allows me to cheat and pretend that I can really fly.
I recently finished a 900mm Spitfire. It flew a glorious 3 minutes with my son on the sticks but came to a sad end. He forgot that a Spit is no glider, he stalled it on approach (it has like twice the stall speed of an AB) and broke it in two.
It's all on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWO8iBdNnA
Galand, Wow! 3 cell LiPo - keep us posted. I may just have to try the same thing with my weak motor powered AB. What could possibly go wrong? Are you using the stock ESC on your hot 3 cell Lipo machine? I had to use two (2) of those little red plugs in parallel to deal with 2 cell current reliably on my ABs.

Your technology is very interesting. It's obvious you are a committed modeler. I hope you will continue to share your experiences. Unfortunately, my current web system won't allow me to see your video, sorry. I am working on up graded web systems.

Sorry to hear about your Spit. Carbon fiber tow material has saved a me lot of grief. It is such a great structure improver it's like getting something for nothing.

My PZ Spitfire was treated a lot like a motor powered glider. It can be left hand lunched dead stick and glide out 20 yards or so and can provide great controlled gliding practice. I actually did a lot of this kind of "flying" just to calm my stressed out nerves before actual terrifying powered fighter flight.

It took a long time for me to begin to actually enjoy flying fighters - way too much stomach churning WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF STRESS?! Even now after a few attention getting maneuvers I still tend to fly too high and, especially in windy weather, I tend to laze around in the sky and expose my "closet motor powered glider proclivities."

I still sense a certain whiff of danger every time I scramble my fighters for missions. So, in words used by the Military Channel . . . FLY HIGH, FIGHT, AND WIN!

madwebtvscientist (I hope RCU will get its animated smileys working again.) ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Man, this thread is still around? My understanding was that it closed years ago when the new version started up. Hmm.

I discovered that the Badius flies very nicely on a Suppo 2212-6 2200kV motor and a 3S 2200mAh lipo with a PZ Stryker prop. Brad/Glacier Girl gave me the plane and the power system and he helped me find it in some weeds after it went down because I powered the wings off. The rubberband holding them on snapped.

Geez, I haven't even been to this site for a long time. My username is still '14' .....

That's all.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

New page!!!!!!

That's all.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Galand

Nitroplanes is selling the Badius again. Seems like only straight wing version.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/3380-2y-a...ellow-kit.html
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
rszanti

Notice the "Exceed RC" on the side. It still has the Acciptor Badius label too. Shun Da was the original supplier. But now who is www.exceedrc.com ?

Also note the $30 price - I paid $80 for mine but it did includethe motor, battery andradio gear, which this does NOT.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Galand

I think I paid $65.00 2 years ago. I have two of them and I bought polyhedral wings for them. Much easier for a beginner.
The stock brushed motor ESC and batteries I replaced with brushless and Lipo's. I learned to drill a set screw into the prop attachment hub. It does not say if the new kit has servo's installed. Those were OK. I have two fuselages and 4 wings, so I don't want more but they were fun to fly.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
foreverNight

Bought the badius off ebay about 7 yrs ago. Good plane. Wish i still had it.