Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Bristol flight

Old 03-01-2004, 12:16 PM
FlyinHigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bristol flight

I'm new to E-flight, but have been flying glow for a few years. Yesterday I had my first electric flight of my recently assembled Sig Bristol Scout. I'm running a pretty "stock" setup (I really don't know any better, to be truthful), of Hitec radio gear (micro, not sub), 5 amp ESC and a 2 cell 1300 MaH Lipo battery and the kit included 180 geared motor. First flight went quickly back to ground, as the CG was slightly too far aft. After adjustment, (and regluing the rudder, which seems like a weak-link), we tried it again. This time more successful, but boy, these things don't handle much wind, do they? After I got the hang of it I was able to steer her around the playground pretty good, but it seemed that pitch change was overly sensitive and rudder effectiveness was under-effective. I intend to change control throw a bit to compensate. Also, the plane felt near-stall a lot, with the recovery/dive as a result. As long as you had altitude it was recoverable. But, I did notice that the wings would fold up significantly with the buildup of any speed on a dive at all. Isn't there some reinforcement method that you folks use to stiffen up the wing performance? I really can't see this thing ever doing a loop, as is advertised, without some sort of strengthening. Any suggestions out there?

PS- on the REAL plus side, it was a kick to grab an airplane, a transmitter, a 12 volt battery and a charger and just walk to the local school with three year old in tow. Really hassle-free.....
Old 03-11-2004, 04:10 PM
kramer
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Bristol flight

Some are using flying wires,I have had similar problems with my tm so I put a couple strips for strapping tape from wing tip to wing tip on the bottom of the wing.Dihedral helps the bipes fly if you can put some in you may see a differance
Old 05-10-2004, 12:18 PM
CaptainRandy

Default RE: Bristol flight

I just finished putting together my Bristol Scout and I was wondering if you thought the rudder needed some work before first flight. I thought the way you hinged it, with scotch tape and for only that short span, that it would not hold up even for one flight. It seems to torque a bit when moved. I don't have my radio gear installed yet, so I have some time for improvement to the plane. I generaly was not to impressed with this model. Any hint appreciated. Randy