Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Building with Depron, Cessna AgWagon

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Building with Depron, Cessna AgWagon

Old 04-17-2004, 07:18 PM
guyflys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building with Depron, Cessna AgWagon

Building light can be a challenge. I've found Depron an easy material that is light weight and fun to build with. Also carbon fiber can add strength without adding much weight,
The following is a Cessna 188 AgWagon, 63" span and weighs 24oz with a 2,100ma poly driving a GWS 350 and a 11-4.7 prop. That's about 6oz per sg ft. Radio is FMA 5 and Pico BB servos. It flys great.
Update on power....I've gone to a hi-max brushless, more beans, same prop and 2 cell poly. Wt went to 26oz ( beefed up gear ) but still flys great.
Depron only needs a sharp xacto, Bob Smith Industries Gold+ c/a and your imagination. For what it's worth, the Gold+ is the only c/a I found that works well on the depron. ProBond will work also but very slow to setup. The jury is still out on a sutible paint. I used Tamiya TS spray cans but the masking tape pulls paint. Ugly !
For plans I used a Cessna factory 3 view and blew the jpg up to 63" span using Windows "Microsoft picture it Photo 2002" banner program.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80161.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	123354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54873.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	123355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20870.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	123356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62628.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	123357  
Old 05-09-2004, 04:09 PM
rc-cropduster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building with Depron, Cessna AgWagon

Very nice model, looks really nice. Great concept to build in depron like this. Love the detail photo's on your gallery. Are you planning to build more cropdusters?

Was less happy with your hosting provider, which opens a pop-up and wants to download a java script.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:02 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Very nice!...... I'm glad you put to "Agwagon" in the title to catch my eye. Love those Ag planes. Where do you find Depron like that? I cannot even find the blue fan fold material around here.
If you care to see more Ag-related stop by my page and click on the Ag-Cat.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 AM
guyflys

rc-cropduster, sorry about the web hosting, it's the first free one I found. Next airplane planned is an F6 Hellcat. I'll post it when flying.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:07 AM
guyflys

Randyl, thanks. The depron comes from DepronUSA.com, good source and reasonable, quick service and packaged really well.
I tried your site, I couldn't find photos. How to?
-Ernie-
Old 05-11-2004, 02:02 PM
RandyL

Thanks for the link to the Depron..I appreciate it!

The direct link to my Ag-Cat page is...

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/AgCat.html

Normally you should be able to go to my main page and click on various subjects and links to different projects I have built. Again, thanks for the Depron link.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
guyflys

Randy, thanks for the homestead site. Great project. You can almost fly in that monster. Please post a photo when you get the "spray" working. ( be careful of the ground tho, you will be tempted to fly it on the deck with the smoke on ). As for ugly, only in the eye of the beholder. I like functional a/c, even the Lysander has some charm. -Ernie-
Old 05-11-2004, 07:20 PM
RandyL

Ernie, I had the same fear of full throttle low flying so here is how I went about setting it up..

The smoke system ( simulated spray ) is run through chl 5 switch. This switch must be on to activate the smoke. I then mixed the output of chl 5 to the throttle and set the mix to come on at the last 2 clicks of full throttle.
Basically chl 5 switch is off all the time which kills the smoke system through the start up, runn up, and takeoff stage. Once in the air and cruising you turn the chl 5 switch on.. now the smoke is armed but will not turn on until the last 2 click of full throttle is used.
You line up on your run at near full throttle and when you reach the field you apply that extra couple of clicks of throttle ( it doesn't even change engine speed ) and the smoke comes on. At the end of the field you back the throttle off the couple of clicks and the smoke is again off. Your hands never leave the normal grip on the sticks while you are low and fast...no switch fiddling.
It has worked great so far..