Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aerobird Spring Mod

Old 05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Resident Hazard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Spring Mod

Hi To All,

This is just a little idea about replacing the rubber bands on the Aerobird's tail with little/light springs. The ones I used are the #78 springs in the Select-A-Spring display/case at my local Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware store(If your local stores don't carry the select-a-springs look [link=http://www.selectaspring.com/]here[/link].(they sell them 12 per bag at $9.39 a bag, minimum order of $20.00 and they accept credit cards.) You'll only really need 4 springs, 2 per side. I used some .025 music wire(anything that's stronger then the springs will work) to make the Fig.1 shape(see first picture) dimensions aren't exact, that's just what mine came out to be. For the "double up" I took two small screwdrivers the gently stretched the two springs apart and slid them tougher(see second picture). A little reminder, the end of the springs that go on the gray rudder horn, you may have to crimp them a little to keep them from coming off unexpectedly.(and probably at the worst possible time to.[&:])

For those of you that noticed the Fig.2 hook shape, that is for the ABC(Aerobird Challenger). I have the original AB so I can't test this myself, But it's in case the Fig.1 shape won't work with the different modes in the ABC. Fig.2 is for independent spring tension (i.e. 1 rudder up, 1 rudder down) instead of them hooked tougher as in Fig.1. If it will make a difference I don't know.[sm=confused.gif]

Happy Flying.......Or Crashing

R.Hazard

(P.S. As with the rubber bands on the wing & tail you might want to remove the springs when not in use as well.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87239.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	128462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39909.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	128463  
Old 05-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Resident Hazard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird Spring Mod

Hi Again,

I finally got to test the springs yesterday, and they worked great. They also held up great to a couple of rough crashes and bad tree crash. No problems what so ever. They have the perfect tension, strong enough to give full travel but not enough the make the servo buzz.[8D]

R.Hazard