Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

THIS JUST IN!!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Mhale71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THIS JUST IN!!

well, thats kind of a lie..., its not very new news, but i have since then ment to post this but always forgot .
anywayz, us blokes in australia would know it but a few monthes A go an aerobird landed perfectly in silverwater jail, which is a huge jail we have in sydney, it was an aerobird, and was ALL over the news thatnight, they thaught it was being used to smuggle drugs into the place, no one knew what it whas, every one knew it was a plane, when i saw it in the news im thinking... hmm... an aerobird.

the next day the owner of the plane came to get it back, apparently, he was flying it at a field amost 2 kilometers away from the jail, when a big gust of wind carried it all the way and dumped it, on its wheels, in the middle of silverwater. he said he thought that this is a sign to get a bigger, more powerful plane. then he gave all the details of the plane... flight time:17 minutes. and so on
no , my question, did anyone know about this? and is an aerobird really that affected by wind? also if you are here, ... well... is the owner of that aerobird here?? (just askin coz this is such a huge and popular site)
Old 05-05-2004, 03:54 AM
SBR_RV

Default RE: THIS JUST IN!!

iam from australia, didnt hear about it though.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Mhale71

really? are you anywhere near sydney?
the guy says that he didnt know about it going into the jail until he saw it on the new that night
Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM
RC Sumo

I read about it here in the US.
I have an Aerobird.
The Aerobird actually handles wind fine. Of course there is a limit to everything. But many experienced pilots in here report flying in 15 mph winds regularly. If he got high up and lost orientation....it could have rode a gust of wind out of radio range before he could get it turned back. The Aerobird radio has a range of like 800 meters. If he were say 200 meters high......he would only need to get 600 meters away before he lost radio contact. But that 800 meter rating is probably optimum. Let's say his batteries were running low, then his radio might not reach that far due to decrease in signal strength.

I can imagine Sydney gets some good wind....so I don't find it hard to believe that the plane got away from him. Especially if we wasn't an experienced pilot. And 2 km isn't too far if he was a few hundred meters up......with a good wind that little orange beauty could glide for a longtime. I recently had mine about 200 meters up and it took 10 mins to get it down just gliding around. It took me about 10 mins to get up to altitude.

But I did see the picture of the security guard holding the plane up for reporters! [sm=lol.gif] Funny thing is that lil plane can actually haul some weight up. It easily could have been used for malicious purposes.

Anyway, good on ya mate for posting in here....I had forgotten about that story!

Regards,
Shane
Old 05-07-2004, 09:23 PM
jatoo

I live in Australia, and I have an Aerobird, I dont however have any experience in drug smugglings and prison breakins.
In Sydney they say, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 mins" And its true, last time I was there it was bright and sunny, then hailing, then bright and sunny again in the space of 10 mins! If he was high altitude, pushing the range limits already, and flying downwind of himself, the wind could have picked up in an instant, and made it impossibel to recover. That's my theory.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:29 PM
enrique1123

Here is the whole story http://technology.news.com.au/common...5E1702,00.html, I thought it was very funny.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:03 PM
RC Sumo

link didn't work for me Albert
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 AM
enrique1123

You are right. That Url will not accept cookies break down the link and you will get to the story, sorry I tried.