Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Old 06-25-2004, 04:45 PM
dribbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Hand launch is the reccomended way to go... and it works
(Check pages 7-8 in the instructions)
http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...100-manual.pdf
Step 12, and 13-1
Old 06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even tried that. The controls seemed to be too slow to counter act the direction of flight. BTW I am not a newbie. I fly some pretty hot fast planes, taildragger, trike, or handlaunch this thing did not want to fly. Maybee my freind got a dud?[sm=idea.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23811.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	147355  
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Sunwolf

If the controls seems slow then change the linkage postions on the servo controls.

I've got mine set for the maximum throw allowed and when I toss her into the air she flies just fine.

I'm in the same boat as even one else though when trying a rolling take off. faaaaa-get-it [:'(]
I just wind up doing donuts I am thinking about rigging up some kind of fixed/non rotating wheel on the tail to help keep it straight but that'll be a project that I look into only after I get my back ordered props and prop shafts
Old 06-25-2004, 06:06 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My main area of concern was the rudder. I did move the clevis to the closest hole (increasing the throw). But still got sluggish response. I told my freind "scrap that thing [:'(]and get a GWS Tiger Moth" I let him fly mine on the buddy box. I think that is what he is going to do.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Sunwolf

hrmm bummer about the adjustment not mattering.
I CAN tell you that when I got my FIRST J-3 the tail was twisted off center to the left about a 1/4". It was sufficiently off center to the naked eye where I wasn't even going to try to fly it - I knew if I augered it there was no returning it
SO when I returned it I took it out of the box before leaving and sure enough - it was straight as an arrow.

Maybe you did get a bum one?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Sunwolf

Hey while I'm here replyin to Vicman - can anyone help with the two questions I posted above?

How the HECK can I remove the drive shaft from the engine mount housing? I've tried all the things I could think of - but I'm not wanting to put too much pressure behind the wrench in case I'm doing it wrong. I'd prefer just to buy the shaft and not the whole engine housing

Any suggestions?

Also: Does anyone have any mod suggestions for the little J-3? It's clear (at least to me) that I have enough basic skill in order to put some money into the sport, but I was curious to see if anyone has been able to put a bigger engine in this thing, and maybe a bigger battery? I'd like to try and extend it's life a little longer than a month or so before buying a new one...
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:26 PM
bhpd1438

flew it again today.......i still love it. i have had several runway take-offs no problem....just be careful once you finally rotate or you will catch a wing on the ground. I have been using a baseball field at the local park and the packed dirt is fine for take-off and landing. I have bent and replaced a few prop shafts, but have not had to replace the prop yet....knock on wood. i hope everyone else is still happy with their J-3; i know i am.

hope the weather cooperates with everyone.....take care.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:39 AM
chall

Yeah, mine had a funny tilt to the tail surfaces as well, but that was after it crashed once. It bent back easily, too easily. Hmmm.

I also had the two rear rubber band posts disappear in the crash. I wonder if they broke and caused the crash? I stuck in a wooden dowel to fix it.

One other point, the J-3 comes with a mighty nice delta-peek charger. Not only can you charge while driving around (unlike the cheaper ones) but there's a light to indicate full charge AND an adjustment so you can use it with other size batteries. This is very, very nice.

As for ROG, have you guys tried bending the metal landing gear to add in some toe-in or take some out? Seems like it might be tricky to align, but surely that's the problem, don't you think? Wouldn't take much of a wring twist to start it turning.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Reddog177

I have a ParkZone J-3 Cub and have learned to fly R/C with it, on my own. You can read my experience with it at http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...num=1083887945 . I have found that the best place to get help with problems with the Cub is at the 877 number listed in the owner's manual. Their tech people are really good! I've also been able to get replacement parts in 3 or 4 days from them.
Check it out!
Dick
Old 10-27-2004, 09:43 PM
bobcagen

Hello

I may be able to help a bit

The take off spin-o-rama........

yes we all love that. WHat I did was use a small wheel I got off my Aerobird Challenger but you can get them from any hobby store. Just glue ot tape it just in front of the tail skid plate. Then at worst you can steer it a bit. You can also do a steerable wheel but thats for another day

what prop to use.......

well the GWS 8060 seems to work well. it is a bit shorter so when you land it will have more clearence to the ground

mods......

havnt needed to do any. you can glue the tail on though as its a bit loose and you can get the "flappies" going in the air if you dont.

How the HECK can I remove the drive shaft from the engine mount housing........

you just have to push it out. It is in there pretty tight as it has to be. I even tapped it out with a small hammer

Yeah, mine had a funny tilt to the tail surfaces as well, but that was after it crashed once. It bent back easily, too easily. Hmmm..........

thats where the gluing comes in handy. mine was off center out of the box so just place a book level under it for support after gluing it

was curious to see if anyone has been able to put a bigger engine in this thing, and maybe a bigger battery?...........

I suppose u can put a bigger motor in but that would maybe require a bigger battery. As you can see the battery housing is only to fit this 600 mah pack. it would take alot off cutting and gluing to open it up. Try a few prop combos for more speed. Watch out though as you may burn out the motor or fry the Rx. you can get an 8 cell that will fit but I havnt tried it yet

Happy Flying
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

I was just curious, has anyone been able to do an outside loop with theirs? I have not increased to max throws yet, but I dont want to snap the wing yet also. I have also found that when landing, land with power on. I have about 20 flights in, landing on concrete run way, and have not had any problems yet. It just takes a little practice going from big glow planes down to this little electric. But it is a blast to mess around with. I think I am going to pick up a spare wing, and get a carbon flat strip and glue it to the top of the wing, I hope that might stop the wing from folding on an outside loop. I know it will loop pretty good on low throws and a little dive before you pull back. I know its not too bad flying inverted, just make sure you have plenty of room to roll right side up.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:53 PM
FlyNorth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several people mentioned the need for a steerable tail wheel, so I thought I'd mention that I put one on my ParkZone J-3 Cub. I bought a mini tail wheel kit from my LHS, and a set of aerobird landing gear because these wheels match the front wheels on the cub. I cut the tail skid off the cub, and taped the tail wheel bracket in place. I bent one end of the shaft which came in the tail wheel kit and installed one of the wheels from the aerobird landing gear. I bent the other end of the shaft up so it is close to the control arm on the rudder. I attached a short length of control rod from that end of the shaft to the control rod which runs from the rudder to the servo. Let me tell you - it works great! Not only are takeoffs much easier, but I can also taxi back to the downwind end of the runway after landing. I would post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera.

BTW, the cub is my first airplane and I'm very satisfied. I learned on my own - probably not the best way, but the plane survived my first flights with nothing but bent landing gear. I've now flown probably 75 battery packs with numerous takeoffs and landings - and did my first loops a few days ago. I've had some rough landings and a few crashes and have had to replace the propshaft twice because of stripped teeth on the gear. My motor burnt out after about 40 battery packs. This seemed a little premature, but I'm new to this hobby so don't know what is normal.

I've also flown in some 15mph winds and it was scary - after about a dozen aborted landing attempts I finally set it down safely on the runway. I know I should avoid the wind, but I get impatient and fly anyway. Now that I've flown it a bit I feel comfortable if the wind is 10mph or less. I've learned the hard way to not run the battery out completely when it is windy - I need to come in under power to land safely in the wind - especially if it's gusty.

My latest project is lights for night flying. I installed 4 LEDs (wingtips, tail, and a flasher on the belly) and wired them up to the airplane battery. At first I wired them to a 9volt which I taped to the belly - but the 9volt added too much weight - the plane flew, but not very well. Now with the lights wired to the plane battery, the Cub flies as well as ever. I have not yet tried any true night flying - I need to get more experience at dusk first.

If anyone has any suggestions for battery upgrades, propellers, etc please let me know.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
ThacherD

I use a GWS 9x7 and it flies great. The plane has a lot more get up and go, and can penetrate the wind better with the GWS Prop (the stock one is an 8x4). Unfortunately, the larger prop takes away the ability to ROG, but with the larger prop your loops will become better and the plane can do more in the sky. By the way, I am putting a tailwheel on my other J-3 cub. I'll try to post some pictures when I am done.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:59 PM
ThacherD

Here are a few photos of my conversion. I used a Dubro micro tailwheel bracket and a small rubber with a metal hub tailwheel that I bought from tower. I cut off the foam tailskid, painted the bare foam matching yellow, and used epoxy to attach the gear. Please see the photos. It was too windy to fly, but I did drive it around in the drive way a bit. It seems to track fairly straight, and the spin out seems to be gone. (by the way, the tailwheel is made by sullivan and is 1/2 inch in diameter)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47050.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	188705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14665.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	188706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25444.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	188707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13246.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	188708  
Old 11-04-2004, 06:21 PM
FlyNorth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking tail wheel - mine doesn't look as good because it is a bigger wheel and the steering mechanism makes the plane sit nearly level. But mine works well and makes for fun taxiing.

I have a few 'firsts' to share. A few days ago I took the cub out for the first 'night flight'. Went pretty well - The LEDs allowed me to see how the plane was oriented as long as I kept it reasonably close in. However, there was a bit of a wind and I found out that it's much harder to handle the wind at night when I can't see the plane as well. And since I was trying to keep the plane lower to see it better I ended up with a couple of close calls with the ground. Also it seems like everything happens quicker with the reduced visibility. I think I'll wait for a calm night before trying again.

I also took my first flight in the rain last week. Not sure if that's a bad thing for the plane or not, but we had no wind so I put my raincoat on and went out to fly - got to practice lots of landings with the calm conditions. I figured the worst thing that could happen with the rain is a burnt out motor, but it's still running now. Even if it does burn out - it was worth it to see the Cub set down on a wet runway

The last thing I wanted to mention was my first touch-and-go yesterday. Came in under low power (1/4 throttle?), set the front wheels down first, then the back - then pushed up to 1/2 throttle and rolled along for quite a ways - then punched full throttle and eased back on the stick momentarily and was back in the air. As you see I'm having great fun with my cub!
Old 11-06-2004, 02:25 PM
gofaster72

You probably know this by now but, always take clear packing tape and five minute epoxy with you every time you fly. These and an extra prop or two will keep you in the air.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Rc Matt

I get my J-3 parts at Red Rocket Hobby Shop. www.redrockethobbies.com
They stock just about anything you could need for this awesome ParkZone airplane.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Rc Matt

Another place to take a look at HobbyZone aerobird planes and parts if you need them.

[link=http://www.redrockethobbies.com]HobbyZone Aerobird Rc Airplanes[/link]
Old 11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

This plane is not really a trainer. It is designed to be flown by someone with at least one trainer under there belt. Remove that stupid jumper that give up elevator when you move the rudder and you will be suprized at how easy it will then take off from the ground. The plane flies just like any other cub model and you need to coordinate the rudder with the eleator to fly it is a smooth fastion. Youcan read reviews of this model along with my reviews of it here on RCU. It's a great model but again not a trainer.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:26 AM
chall

My J-3 seemed to climb all the time. I was told all Cubs do this, even the ful-scale ones. Has anyone else heard this?

My dealer said I could adjust the elevator to alleviate it, but then it wouldn't fly like the real thing!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
bobcagen

yes they do tend to climb, this is normal. If you try the GWS 8060 prop it will help and because its a little shorter you will have less scraping when landing. I think you should just re trim it so it doesnt climb as much and not worry about how scale it flies. Or you can just launch on the ground at full power then back off to half
Old 11-16-2004, 10:04 PM
flyhard2

I put the wheels off my extreme on my cub it gave a little more prop clearence and maybe a little more weight on the front, it doesn't seem to pitch up and stall as easy. I have many flights with the cub, have been through two motors, one wing and tail, two props (before the wheel change) but still running the same prop shaft and housing. I think this is a good bird to learn on if you have guidance. I can do loops and rolls also some inverted flight with a good wind but not for long.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Rat1

I am running a 9x7 gws prop on mine but I do not rog as i hand launch it and land it in the grass. The climb rate is about doubled with this prop and you have to readjust the elevator throw trim alot to keep it from wanting to climb steeply all the time. Even under half power it wants to nose up and possibly stall. I had to just adle it around in the air to keep it from trying to nose up all the time. I even added some lead weight in the nose cowl to try and balance it out since I added a rear wheel to mine.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Cliffw

If you are still having parts issues we astock all of them. Just look under replacement parts.
Good winds!

Cliff Whitney
http://www.Atlantahobby.com
Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Logan618

How do you change the prop shaft on the Cub. I bent one yesterday and do not know for certain how to change it. The nut for the prop came off easy but do I need to cut off the nut nearest the engine?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.