Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Old 11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Rat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Remove prop and the nut behind the prop, remove cowl, remove the 4 screws that mount the gear case to the firewall, push shaft toward the rear, make sure to note location of washers and bushings and spacers. When installing new shaft, install one thin washer onto the shaft, Install new bushings in gearbox, lightly lube the shaft and any friction points with a light grease or vasoline petroleum jelly, install shaft into gear box, install metal washer onto installed shaft then install plastic spacer/spacers then another metal washer and nut. Shaft should spin freely in the gear case with no friction or binding. The shaft should push in and out of the gear box just slightly. If need be you can remove the metal washer that sits just behind the nut. Do not remove the metal washers that seperate the plastic spacers from the bushing or the washer that seperates the plastic gear from the bushing. The metal washers will keep the plastic parts from welding themselves together thus stopping the shaft from turning in mid flight and stripping the large plastic gear and stopping the motor from turning thus burning out the reciever/speedcontrol.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Luke Aventino

Hello Everyone After several years of Flight simulation i decided to step into the RC world, I got a J-cub last week but i haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I wonder if there's anybody on the Toronto Area that could give me a hand in choosing a good park to fly and also give me some help..
i've seen videos .. read all the magazines and reviews.. but as soon as I start the prop I start shaking! It's gonna be my first flight, I'm quite sure I'm gonna damage it.. but I'm going for it.. unless somebody stend up and say " don't do it kid! I'll help you out" .. anyways.. I got film and I'll take several pictures of my plane in the field before try anything...
I aprecciate any help
Luke
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
flyhard2

Luke
I don't recomend you try it by yourself, but if you do be sure your tail is square with the rest of the plane. and the elevator is even with the horizontal stabilizer with the trim lever in the neutral position. Add a little down elevator for your first flight since these planes want to pitch up. Do not try to fly in any wind over 4-5 mph. Launch into the wind and don't panic if something seems wrong just power back and let it settle to the ground. A tall grass field is good for your first flight. Let us know how you did.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Logan618

Luke,

The J3 was my first plane to fly too. I built a Slow Stick but could not get the center of gravity right. So, I had also bought the Cub on Ebay (used) and had to fly something that day. The Cub can take some damage. I did bust a wing the first day. An experinced flyer is always helpful. Depends on what you want to spend$$ on the learning curve. I do not reccomend that you remove the trainer jumper for a few flights.

Pick a calm day and good Luck.

Logan
Old 11-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Hi,guys
I just found this thread,don't know how I missed it. Here's a few of the mods I've done to my Cub, did the steerable tail wheel, bent my own axle and arm and epoxyed it to the lower rudder, have not had any problems,steers & ROG's great. Also switched to the GWS prop, no more broken props. At the soccer field I fly at sometimes, grass was too rough to land, lots of cartwheels,finally dawned on me to come up with a better landing set up. Took a piece of an old Cub wing aprox 2" wide and made a notch for the battery cover arm,removed old landing gear and attatched new "skid" with velcro. Cub can now just slide in for a landing!!!! Velcro makes access to battery and change over to landing gear a snap. Finally, on one of those windy days when I couldn't fly, I thought why not aerlirons? Took wing, marked off and cut out "flaps" with exacto knife,sealed all the edges with 5 min. epoxy, made packing tape hinges, and epoxed in micro control horns.Took control rod off rudder,packing taped rudder straight, epoxed a twin arm servo arm to the original servo arm. Cut 2 small slots on both sides of the fuselage to line up with the servo arm.
built a simple pull / pull system out of old scrap adjustible clevises,lightweight rods, and built a set of bellcranks. A standard push pull won't work due to the location of the servo vs wing, I know I tried this first, rod had to have a huge Z bend to line all up, and rod would flex too much to give reliable performance. Pull /pull works great!!!!!!! Been flying this set up for a couple of weeks. Gave the other guys at the field a start when the Cub did a barrel roll. One last word of advice, keep speed up, I found if speed was down and I tried to roll, Cub wanted to nose dive as soon as it got to the knife edge position. I learned real quick to keep more than one mistake high. Such a fun little airplane.
BJ
Old 11-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Electrafly

I've been flying mine for about 3 mos. now. I learned how to fly on it. I know most would recommend a pusher type high wing, but I like the scale look and it proved to be relatively easy to fly. It has great slow flight characteristics and can really take a beating. I've replaced the gear drive unit after crashing into the roof of a building and I've replaced the prop a couple of times after nosing it in, but it has held up pretty well. I would recommend the use of a GWS Slow Flyer Prop over the stock prop supplied, It seems to develop more torque and is easier to control, not as prone to stalls. it really is a great starter plane. Replacement parts are also inexpensive and easy to get from Horizon Hobby on-line.

I was so impressed with the cub, I bought an F-27 Stryker, also made by Parkzone. I haven't flown it yet though. I may wait until next spring to fly after alot more practice with the cub. I so a video on the F-27 and it "really scoots". Good luck with the cub if you decide to go with it.

Electrafly
Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Logan618

Anyone used another battery than the one that comes with the Cub? I have been looking to modify the Cub with a larger battery and think it can be done. I plan to use one from my Slow Stick and use extra ballast to make sure the CG is correct. Anyone try using a larger motor?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Rat1

For anyone trying to use dif batteries in the Cub. Do not modify the battery compartment by cutting etc to use a larger battery. The battery compartment is a vital part of the internal skeleton of the plane and if it is modified it can become weak which will cause the firewall to move around during flight and the motor is bolted to the firewall.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Luke Aventino

I did it Guys! I flew saturday morningin a 5ktz wind in a park close to my placein Toronto, I have lots of experience in Flight simulation so figuring wind direction and active runways to take of wasn't a problem
Even before I realize my plane was flying 3 big Black dogs showed up chasing my J-cub!!! I was desperate!
My first flyght ! I nd now I couldn't land or J-cub was going to die! well I felt the wind and controlled it's pitch in order to slow down in certan moments What an experience! the dogs there running than I brouth it towards myself and did a curve to make the final aproach in a perpendicular position. Trottle idle and land!
my wife ran to catch the airplane before the dogs do it! I was shaking after all who nedds drugs? tha't is all I need an exciting flight with my PLane...
thank you guys for all your replies J-cub Rocks
Luke
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Glacier Girl

LUKE,
CONGRATS ON FLIGHT.NOW THAT YOU'VE MASTERED DOGS, WAIT TILL THE BIRDS GO AFTER IT. JUST LIKE COMBAT. ON MANY OCCATIONS AT MY FARM WHEN THE CUB'S WAY UP THERE JUST PUTTING ALONG, SMALL BIRDS WILL GO AFTER IT, I GUESS THEY THINK IT'S SOME KIND OF PREDATOR. LOTS OF FUN AVOIDING THEM THEN ATTEMPTING TO GO AFTER THEM, WITH THE YELLOW HAWK.
BJ
Old 11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Glacier Girl

LUKE,
CONGRATS ON FLIGHT.NOW THAT YOU'VE MASTERED DOGS, WAIT TILL THE BIRDS GO AFTER IT. JUST LIKE COMBAT. ON MANY OCCATIONS AT MY FARM WHEN THE CUB'S WAY UP THERE JUST PUTTING ALONG, SMALL BIRDS WILL GO AFTER IT, I GUESS THEY THINK IT'S SOME KIND OF PREDATOR. LOTS OF FUN AVOIDING THEM THEN ATTEMPTING TO GO AFTER THEM, WITH THE YELLOW HAWK.
BJ
Old 12-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Luke Aventino

Well BJ,
I tryed again...
perfect day wind 5ktz no dogs 9:00am everything was perfect it flew nicely and smooth until I get too confident and lose the sense of distance between the plane and some trees!!! Bang! lucklly it was sort of smooth and I didn't have many damages but I lost the black rubber thing that goes on the propeller, I had some wing perfurations and the tail had one crack.. I checked the servos and engine, everything was ok.
I hate when trees jump in front of my plane!!!

Luke
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Glacier Girl

LUKE,
TREES ARE EVIL. WORSE THAN FLYING MONKEYS. I'VE LOST MORE THAN 1 PLANE TO THEM. IT'S LIKE THE TREES JUST SWAT THEM OUT OF THE SKY FOR NO REASON AT ALL.
AT LEAST YOU CAN YELL AT THE DOGS. OTHERS TEND TO LOOK AT YOU FUNNY AND SHY AWAY FROM YOU WHEN YOU'RE OUT THERE SCREAMING AT A BUNCH OF TREES.
DON'T WORRY IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME
BJ
Old 12-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Planebeach

I flew my J3 for the first time yesterday, fun little plane. In Europe it is sold as a Kyosho J-3 Cub. Better 4 channel reciver with the kit. I payed $ 245 for mine on sale[]
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
captcmg

I think the angle which the motor is mounted is part of the reason why it wants to climb so much..
Has anyone tried adding a little wieght in the nose to help control the pitch up tendency?
Im thinking 1/8 to 1/4 oz. Otherwise i love the cub,, It's got me hooked on electric !
Now i've got another great hobby, and the info on this forum has been very helpfull..
Enjoy !!!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Searching_Ut

Just wanted to jump in and say I think these little cubs are great. I purchased two for Christmas, one for myself and one as a gift. We're having a blast with them so far, both of us doing a pretty good job of keeping them flying right despite us both being newbies other than a little time on the G3 simulator. They are very difficult to keep pointed into the wind, and for me aren't really any fun to fly if it's windy. When the breeze is gone however, I'm out the door and having a blast. Mine don't tend to climb very bad like I've seen described, which may be in part because we're flying from an elevation of about 4,800 feet or so. They have a fairly gentle climb at full throttle, and level out about perfect at half to 2/3 throttle with the elevator trimmed visually. So far I haven't been able to take off from the sidewalk I use as a runway. I can't keep it straight long enough to get enough speed to allow me to control it. Seems to want to spin on the ground.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:00 PM
it26b

I purchased the PZ J3 Cub Last fall and really enjoyed the little plane. I have been flying glow for 18 years and my first little electric impressed me. I immediately set about modifying it for even better flight. I first converted it to ailerons (10" length, later 13") as this allowed for smoother turns, and frankly I prefer ailerons. This also greatly improved handling in higher winds. Second I ground off the motor mounts and motor frame to obtain less than 1 degree downthrust and virtually eliminated the right thrust. The plane now turns left as well as right with ease, handles higher winds (to 10mph)with authority. is more areobatic. It will roll 360 with 13"x 1"ailerons. The 10" ailerons I converted it to first where excellent for really smooth turns, but where a little too tame. I rebalanced it a tad nose heavy by rearranging stuff and it does not have that tendency to climb when into the wind quite as much. I have now set it aside after 36 flights and installed the RC equipment in a GP Wright Flyer. Only mod to electrics was a Deans connector on the motor. Total cost $10.00 for it all.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Glacier Girl

Guys,
Something you might look at, after a couple of nose landings,the foam front of the fuselage tends to seperate from the rest of the fuselage, only the covering is holding the motor on. Take a look in through the wing opening towards the nose and you'll see the foam all wrinkled up. This lets the motor flop all over the place. I took one of mine and cut off the damaged section of the nose, installed a 1/8" piece of lite ply for a new firewall support, with 5 min epoxy. reinstalled covering off old nose. Flys like a new bird, added weight and stiffness changed completly how she flies. Handles winds much better then before.
BJ
Old 12-30-2004, 09:17 PM
captcmg

Thanks for the help, I'll give some of those ideas a try,,
Enjoy!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Electrafly

Does anyone out there have any experience flying in the winter (temps below freezing). I have a Parkzone J-3 Cub that I purchased ski's for. I haven't tried to fly it since the weather got cold (live in Wisconsin). I just wonder how the cold effects the batteries and also whether or not icing is a problem like it is with the real planes.

Any winter flying info/tips would be appreaciated.

Electrafly
Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 AM
captcmg

Flew my cub today-28-30 degrees out, got 15 mins. on battery pack.
As far as icing goes , you shouldn't get any unless you fly into visable moisture..
Enjoy !!!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
R/C FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

yes i have one too, they are very easy to fly and they fly very scale, you can fly almost 15 min on 1/2 throttle,so go enjoy it ,it is a good plane.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Glacier Girl

Guys,
A couple of hints, I also got tired of breaking props,best I've found so far is a MEGATECH Part #MTC 990028, is much more beefed up at the hub area,it's held up to stuff the PZ one would never dream of taking. $5.00.Also it seems a lot stronger then the GWS. Also I switched to a Venom Fireball 370P motor,part# VEN-1320, original motor was pulling aprox 150 grams of force, new one pulls 270, $14.00 Cub now flys like old one, but at start point on throttle stick, I've had it pull off of stuff the old motor would have drove it into the ground with. Loosing it, spining in, slam WOT and hang on, snaps to nose up hover. drop in some down elevator and away it goes. Now flying inverted is a piece of cake. Oh yeah, battery seems to last about 1/3 longer now too Finally, switched to a pair of DAVE BROWN LITE TREADED 2" foam wheels for added clearance.
BJ
www.megatech.com
www.venom-racing.com
Old 01-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Glacier Girl

Oops,
I forgot something else,glue a piece of cord to inside portion of both sides of the rubber nose cone, tight enough that you can slide the loop over one blade of the prop before installing on the shaft, no more searching for it after a not so gracefull landing.
ELECTRAFLY. I built my own skis, make sure to put stops on travel of skis,if not front of ski goes vertical, acts like a set of up elevators, or back goes vertical,try landing then !!!!!
Also if you have enough up sweep on the front of the skis, you can ROG off grass the little wheels would never roll through
Old 01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
lthibault

[Hi all,

I also fly a J3 Cub and I like it very much. Had a couple of severe crashes today as it was too windy... but the plane can take a lot of abuse and I usually put it back together quickly (thanks for Epoxy Glue!).-

One technical remark: I was extremely surprised to find out that the front engine and firewall are attached to the frame by two short plastic sticks. Nothing more than the cover to add strenght! So I decided to add two wood pieces to put more strengh (see pictures).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83361.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	216159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41640.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	216160  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.