Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick Questions!!!

Old 05-21-2004, 12:03 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Questions!!!

hey guys i am new to electric flight. i have built and flow the pica cub, GWS Beaver, and a Zagi. i want to build a GWS Slow Stick but i have a few questions.

1. battery selection? i want my flight to last at least more than 10 min. i have been hearing about Li-Po batteries and NiCad and Nickel Metal Hydride. i have read most of the posts about the slow stick and it seems a 2400mh or 2100mh Li-Po is the way to go but i can find anywhere that sells those batteries. which brings me to my next question.

2. charging batteries? this is the only E plnae i plan to own and i dont want to have to buy a $150 battery charger just to get my 1 plane up. i already have a cycling charger for my glow planes but not sure if the The HOBBICO ACCU-CYCLE PLUS ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL358&P=0 ) will work in Li-Po batteries.

thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 PM
davidinmi

Default RE: Slow Stick Questions!!!

I just bought one for my 10 year old son. I had one until I left it in a tree for a couple of days. I found a 1200mAh NiMH battery to be more than adequate with the stock drive. I just bought an 1100mAh pack so my son will have two.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVY36&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBM3&P=7

This is the cheapest way I found to charge Li-pos
Hobbico Quick Field Charger MKII
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCTZ5&P=ML

Dave
Old 05-22-2004, 10:17 PM
ep124
My Feedback: (1)

Lipos are the way to go if you want to fly along time. In meine, I have a 2s1p Kokam and I can get it to fly for well over 30 min. As for a lipo charger, check out [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers_lipoly.htm]Hobby Lobby[/link], they have some that will do 2 cells for 25-30 bucks. All in all it will cost you like $60 to go lipo, well worth it in my opinion.
Good luck,
Eric
Old 05-23-2004, 07:19 PM
EVOL

excelent info guys thanks very much. here is the finished product.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Tweet

I have a Mega Motors 16-7-8 brushless, Phoenix 10 speed control, Thunderpower 2100 2S1P battery, and an APC 11 x 7 prop. Flies for forty minutes and will climb 80 degrees for most of that. Great plane and still fun for me even though I have all sorts of other airplanes. I put a lot of friends on the buddy box.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
FirebatFlyer

How long does the slow stick go on the Kokam 1500 mah and how many amps can it handle.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 PM
cruuk

depending on how you fly.. easy you can last over 20 min for sure with kokam 1500s. the pack is good for 8C so 12 amps. the stock drive should draw around 8 at full throttle so it should be perfect.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:53 AM
SBR_RV

iam waiting on a slow stick but their not availible till the end of june.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:11 AM
SimonBryant

ORIGINAL: EVOL

excelent info guys thanks very much. here is the finished product.

Get those wings Cropped!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
EVOL

crop the wings? not sure what you mean?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:56 AM
S.S.Shmavis

(cropped the picture, maybe???)
Old 05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Tweet

Some people cut a panel off each side of the Slow Stick so it will have a higher wing loading and handle accordingly. But then it isn't a Slow Stick. I'd enjoy your Slow Stick for what it is and if you want something else then buy and fly that airplane.

My son's Slow Stick has 1000mah NiMh and he has a blast with it.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Tucson01

Evol,

1. Get some 2 inch wide Fiberglass packing tape.

2. Remove the fiberglass rods and that aluminum connector. Take the connector to Ace or any local hardware and buy Stainless
tubing close to the Inside diameter of the aluminum about $4. Go home cut a length of that Tubing and bend it to the same angle as the
aluminum brace put it back together and use the Fiberglass tape to attach it.
(I had over 30 flights on the aluminum but believe me its not fun to see your Wings fold in flight and this is a quick and easy fix)

3. Make a Tail brace __/|\__ for the Vertical Stabilizer out of Balsa or Bamboo or Graphite

4. Use the Fiberglass tape on the bottom of the Tail horizontal stabilizer.

5. Use the Fiberglass tape on top of the Stock Tape for the hinges.

6. Add a few strips of Fiberglass tape to the underside of the Wing . | | | | | and ======================

I run ThunderPower 2100s get about 30+ mins. Hobbico MKII is about $50 and will charge 2 batteries at a time will do lipo to 3 cells
(it only charges a lipo to a little over 80% but it will not over charge your cells which is a good thing)

This is one of 4 planes , 3 are nitro and this is my Favorite to throw around in the Air Have fun
Old 05-29-2004, 11:48 AM
SimonBryant

ORIGINAL: Tweet

Some people cut a panel off each side of the Slow Stick so it will have a higher wing loading and handle accordingly. But then it isn't a Slow Stick. I'd enjoy your Slow Stick for what it is and if you want something else then buy and fly that airplane.

My son's Slow Stick has 1000mah NiMh and he has a blast with it.
By cropping the wings will alow the SS to turn more crisp and will alow the plane to penetrate the wind better on windy days....

I have two wings, i use the standard wing on a calm day so it just kinda floats, anything more than 4 mph i put the cropped wings on....infact with the wings cropped i fly in 10MPH.

And how often to you get wind below 5 mph.....not often!!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:49 PM
gargoyle7

I too am about to join the Slow Stick Family

BUT, can you Slow Stick flyers reccomend the best flight pack to buy? A link would be much appreciated! GWS has a TON of packs available, its getting confusing.[>:]

Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2004, 09:17 PM
cruuk

dont bother with a traditional reciever/battery. go for a ESC with bec and a compatible reciever. most of the GWS flightpacks have pathetically small capacity batteries.. like 270-700 mah. 700 should be your absolute bottom end. other than that anything is possible with the slowstick. you can even use standard size servos if you wish but its a good idea to keep everything small.

most of the micro recievers have crappy range and are a bit prone to interference. i use a Hitec 04MG reciever and have had great results. i also use hitec HS-81 servos and they are good too.

whatever manufacturer you like has a similar setup.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Time Pilot

I second the battery size recommendation. I have 7 cell 650 mah nimh batteries and get about 8 minutes a pack. If I were to do it over again, I'd get 1050 mah batteries.

I use Hitec 55's and a Berg Stamp 4 Rx with a Futaba 4 channel skysport. It cost a little more than a cheaper setup, but I trust it 100%.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:34 AM
foreverNight

Well after many flights my slowstik is finally dead. Hit a pole at max speed bent and broke the fuse , the front wing mount and gearbox[:@].. The fuse is beyond repair now, I had fixed many times before. thats okay though I'll just buy another! no big deal.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:16 AM
cruuk

for $35 USD, you cant beat the stick
Old 06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
connolly

Hey Time Pilot does the futaba skysport come with any mixes like v-tail and elevon?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: connolly

Hey Time Pilot does the futaba skysport come with any mixes like v-tail and elevon?
The Skysport 4 channel Tx is very basic. The fanciest adjustment you get on it are switches for servo reversing. No mixes.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Da-Winged-1

GO for the stick its a great plane, I used to fly an aerobird until i got tierd of buying those 20 dollar cheese wings ( i swear those wings would break if u looked at them funny) SO i decided to go for the stick, and at 26 bucks a pop u cant go wrong not only that these things can take some abuse i can bounce it of cars in my front yard all day long and with alittle duck tape and a couple extra props be ready to beat it up the next day. Take my advise and cut the ends off your wings it handles so much beter and sharper turns are possible besides if u dont clip them sometimes the stick doesnt want to pull out of tight turns no matter how much rudder input u give it, it will just go in tight circles until it stalls and hits the deck. the only down side to the slow stick is the props are about $2.99 and like to break of at the hub with even a minner bump (3 bucks for a 2 cent piece of plastic geeeees) but even this can be fixed with some creativity and some jb weld sure it will be a little unbalanced but hey its backyoard beat around plane and performance isnt that big of an issue.
also get on the lipo train you will never look back, go to www.superflyrc.com and checkout there packs and charger if my memory is corect the charger was 39 or 49 and a 16oo ma pack was about 30 u cant go wrong with that, i get about 20-25 min flights with a little throttle mangment.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Da-Winged-1

correction charger is 20 bucks and the packs are but hey close enough
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 AM
foreverNight

hey Da wing.. Yeah Slow stik is great and your right about those aerobird wings. I found a really good use for my aerobird batteries. I use them in my slow stick! I have 4 of the 7 cell ones and 2 6 cell. I just made a connector adapter for the batteries. The 7 cell work really great Iget about 20 minute flights with those. I dont really fly the aerobird anymore.