Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

"PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

"PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

Old 06-29-2004, 01:57 PM
f00sion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...MAIDEN FLIGHT

the glide performance is so outstanding I flew it right under my truck because i couldnt set it down in time... hit the wheel hard with the right wing but only scuffed decals, no other damage.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
rharrismcse

I hear that. I'm doing pillow top landings with this baby. I really wish I had some landing gear I know it would do very well with it.
Any thoughts on landing gear install?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:59 PM
f00sion

indeed, landing gear would be totally awesome on the stryker.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 PM
rharrismcse

Had two more wonderful FLAWLESS flights with this Stryker AGAIN this evening. I had an even bigger crowd watching this time! Had was comfortable enough to do some dives towards them then pull out of them with some steep banking climbs.
These plans are truely awesome! After almost 10 flights now she still looks new! I can't really say that about my other Areobirds
My wife really likes this plane! She loves it that I'm able to pull such manuvers and wow her and the people watching!

Anyway - I do seem to be having one problem and that is my stock 7 cell 8.4 volt 1000 mah batteries are only giving me about 6-8 min worth of flight time, and over 50% of that time is half throttle!
Rich
Old 07-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Andy G.

Well, I just crashed mine straight into the ground at full throttle, so I can speak a little to it's durability.

While it shattered into several pieces, all the pieces fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and were easily glued with foam-safe CA glue. The fuselage is pretty resilient, so "normal" crashes should pose no real threat. I've noticed that the material used for the control flaps and vertical fins is much stiffer and thicker than that which is used for the tails on the Aerobirds.

And what's more, I can get a whole new un-painted fuselage for this thing for less than the price of a wing and tail for my Aerobird. I may still buy one just so I can paint it myself. The stock paint job makes it nearly impossible to tell which end is up at any kind of a distance.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:09 AM
wjhecox

i crashed mine and it did a cart wheel. it broke only the gears in the servo. any idea where i can get those? other than that it is great. i fly about 8-10 min and nothing but fun.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Andy G.

I haven't looked at the servos yet, but I'm guessing they're not standard (like all the other Hobby Zone/Park Zone stuff). I doubt you can replace just the gears. You're probably looking at a new servo for $10.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:47 AM
wjhecox

that is what i thought i was just hoping.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Keith Buckner

ORIGINAL: rharrismcse

Does anyone know if there is a place on the web with some video action of the F-27 in flight?
Here is a video fo the maiden flight of my "kitt'd" Stryker:
http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/RC/F27/F27maiden.wmv

This is the stock motor on 3S Kokam 1500s
Old 07-26-2004, 09:53 PM
lbwinn

I just tested the landing gear I made for my stryker. I used some aerobird wheels and some light steel wire. I just hot glued them into the fuselage. It rolled very straight and smooth. However, I could not get it to take-off from the landing gear. So I hand launched it and it flew very nicely with the 3 wheels. Landing was great! No more landing in the weeds for me. This plane lands so soft that you dont need a springy landing gear like the aerobird. If anyone can get this plane to take off of a runway I would like to know how they did it.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
kaikid

Crashed mine on my 1st flight!!! I've flown the ABC for about 6 months and did not have too many issues with the F-27 in the air, but the landing was another story. Came in a little too hot and did the nose in the grass thing. My engine seperated from the body along with a 3" X 4" piece of foam. The piece fit back together easy enough and i securred it with a little epoxy.
After the repaired dried, I noticed the engine is very slightly pointing to the left. My question to all who reads this winded email is how will this affect performance?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:18 AM
rharrismcse

Hey guys, wanted to let you know that I have created a Pilot Profile and Flight Log database system on http://rc-galaxy.com/

It's a great way to keep a running record of your flights and to create a Pilot ranking for yourself..

Hope this isn't against the RC-Universe rules..

Rich
Old 10-12-2004, 10:56 PM
pkrska

Default RE: "PARK ZONE" F27 STRYKER...LANDING GEAR

Just wanted to let everyone know that landing gear is not recommended on the Stryker due to the fact that when landing on grass or something with a little pull, it rips the wheels off along with some foam.

Another problem is that the propeller is lower than the body so that is why we thought it would be a good idea to put wheels on it. Now I thought that it might be ok to have some sort of triangular skid plates. Imagine this shape upside down V as a skid plate. It would allow clearance for the propeller and allow for skidding when landing. Perhaps it could take off some how if wheels could be incorporated into it.

The idea of a wheel - with it's axle extending from the body actually sticks out and is leverage for being ripped off the body. The idea of a triangular plate V on either side substituded for wheels would prevent the object from being ripped off when landing.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
RayRay

Hi grounded, everyone,

Today I made the maiden flight with my F-27 Stryker. After putting her together last night, (which was a snap), I taped the entire perimeter of the wing with 2" packing tape, borders of the vertical fins including the bottom parts that hook into the plane and most of the bottom of the plane. I also taped the nose of the plane to the fuselage. I just wanted to be prepared for the inevitable "lawn darts". I peaked up the battery this morning and taped the battery cover to the fuselage as well.

And now on to the maiden -- Wind was 5mph with 13mph gusts, Overcast.

Checked that the Tx was on low rate and the elevons were working properly.
First toss at full throttle she dove like a gopher, didn't have enough time to pull down on the stick so I cut power and tried again (no damage).

I adjusted the elevons for more lift and tossed her again (at full throttle) right into the wind, and off she went. First thing I noticed was the great climb rate - Wow this baby really moves! I trimmed elevons to correct her from veering left and reduced to half throttle when I was at a comfortable height.
Now all I wanted to do during this maiden, was to make wide and then tight turns to feel the plane out. She was up about 100 feet and getting pretty far away to the point that I didn't know which direction I was flying in. I thought I was turning her back but she was heading in the opposite direction.
Time to put her down and down she went, banking left with her nose down right into the field. I watched in sheer panic as she hit the ground and saw parts flying all over the place -- the battery cover, canopy cover and nose. Unfortunately, the nose took some of the fuselage with it since I taped it so tight.

Well that was my maiden. Now its time for the epoxy and some bright colored paint for the bottom of the plane.

Take care all,

Ray Ray
Old 10-17-2004, 07:39 PM
SC_Minh

I had the same thing happen to my stryker. The fuselage ripped out right along the edge of the clear tape under the motor mount. I would recommend applying strapping tape or duct tape running from the fore to aft on the center fuselage, top and bottom, between the vertical fins. The fuselage is very thin in this area and with the motor mounted there, a hard nose first crash can cause this section to rip out. It's pretty much a clean break right along the factory applied tape edge. The extra tape will give your fuselage more tensile strength and help distribute the crash load to the thicker part of the fuselage.

A bottle of CA and strategic application of duct tape has kept my stryker flying. I love this plane.

ORIGINAL: kaikid

Crashed mine on my 1st flight!!! I've flown the ABC for about 6 months and did not have too many issues with the F-27 in the air, but the landing was another story. Came in a little too hot and did the nose in the grass thing. My engine seperated from the body along with a 3" X 4" piece of foam. The piece fit back together easy enough and i securred it with a little epoxy.
After the repaired dried, I noticed the engine is very slightly pointing to the left. My question to all who reads this winded email is how will this affect performance?