Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Brushless Lil Rascal !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:41 PM
woodduck-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Lil Rascal !!

I bought a Sig Lil Rascal and flew it with the standard 180 motor for a while, not very impressive.
I don't understand why so many electric ARF are sold with such marginal motors. I recently upgraded to a E-Flite brushless 400 with
a Thunder Power 1320 mah Li-po 10c rate and a Phoenix 10 speed controller, what a spectacular change.
This is a great combination and fairly reasonable as brushless goes , about $150. I used the new Himax aluminum gearbox with the 6.6 -1 ratio. This may be overkill but I only added about 2 0z and kept the cg correct.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Merlin1205
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Brushless Lil Rascal !!

Hmm I have on of those Lil Rascal's that after 3 flights
I hung it up on my "Never Fly Again" ceiling.
Considering the intial cost of this thing. it really is pathetic.
I consider it one of those Live and Learn deals
Much better value for your money out there than this

Regards,

Tim Hudson
Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
laryboy

tim, i took that rascal and replaced the motor with a long can 400 (15$). went to 8 cell battery and put a 9/6 park flyer prop in it . what a difference doubled the thrust
Old 03-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Big Mac 1928

Thanks for the info. My buddy has one and he asked to get opinions, I'll pass it on to him along with the st of the answers I got and let him makle up his mind. Thanks again
Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Doug Sipprell

Just happened to look in on this thread. Wow, where has everybody with Lil Rascal's been hiding? [X(]

There has been tons of info on upgrading this plane with readily available brushless motors, Lipos, etc. Here's the combination I have been working with, with great results:

Astro Flight 010, 14T B/L motor
CC Phoenix 10 ESC
500 mAh NiMH 8 cell, AAA pack
6x4 APC prop.

Totally different plane, performance-wise, from the original. Fast, quiet, more than sufficient power. With a suitable LiPo, it would get even better. Other B/L conversions have been made with even more outstanding results. Great plane. The original 180 size with gearbox arrangement can and does work, but you need a 7x5 prop and a pair of ear plugs!!

RD

Old 03-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Doug Sipprell

Just happened to look in on this thread. Wow, where has everybody with Lil Rascal's been hiding? [X(]

There has been tons of info on upgrading this plane with readily available brushless motors, Lipos, etc. Here's the combination I have been working with, with great results:

Astro Flight 010, 14T B/L motor
CC Phoenix 10 ESC
500 mAh NiMH 8 cell, AAA pack
6x4 APC prop.

Totally different plane, performance-wise, from the original. Fast, quiet, more than sufficient power. With a suitable LiPo, it would get even better. Other B/L conversions have been made with even more outstanding results. Great plane. The original 180 size with gearbox arrangement can and does work, but you need a 7x5 prop and a pair of ear plugs!!

RD