Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ultrafly PC-9

Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 PM
scratchpc7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultrafly PC-9

Sent you a PM
Doug
Old 10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hi BaldEagle, i used to fly gliders and power until i came to japan were there is hardly any private flying, hence my monika !! and an addiction to rc planes just so i can see something fly !!!
Old 10-29-2005, 07:15 PM
CptSBW

Help Please...

I just found out that my motor is running the wrong direction. I know this is simple, change the wires, but here is the situation:

Battery is connected to P20 Castle Creations Speed control Red to Red Black to Black. Motor leads from speed control are Red to Red Dot and + marked terminal on motor. White is connected to other motor terminal. I have two resitors attached one + to case the other neg to case. The gear box on this plane has a brass gear on the motor shaft output to a second gear on the propellor shaft. As I see it, this causes the propellor shaft to turn opposite of the motor. Has any else that assembled this plane or that knows more than me about electrics (not hard to do) seen this issue? Should I simply reverse the wires to the motor? This would put the Red Power lead to the negative terminal on the motor. Please help...

Steven
Old 10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Airbourne in Japan

i think it's no problem to reverse the wires CptSBW. when you've done that, buy a himax outrunner of motor and gearbox and watch this baby really MOTOR !!
Old 10-31-2005, 05:23 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CaptSBW
Reversing the wires to your can motor will not cause a problem, unless you have been running the motor for a while in which case the brushess will be groved and set in one motor direction, one way around this is to run your motor underwater yes seriously, start up your motor and dip into a glass of water for approx 15 seconds you will be suprised how quickly the water colours and the increase in rpm, take motor out of the water and run for another 15 seconds to get rid of excess water, dry and lubricate bearings, you can do this as many times as you feel needed but not excessivly it will not keep inproving.
Grounded in japan is right get a brushless outrunner, I'm using the Model Motors AXI 2212/20 on three Li Po's it impoves it no end.
Mike
Old 11-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

What do you guys recommend as a good ESP to go with the AXI 2212-20 motor? I am sold on this plane based on all of your rave reviews, and the awesome paint schemes I have seen seen in the picks. Are you using acylic paints?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
BaldEagel

Adam G
I use a Jeti 18 amp with my 2212/20 which works fine, I also use Solafilm light to cover the foam as it adhears at 80 deg and so does not melt the foam underneath, see pic attached its the red and white one not the feathered one. one thing you have to be carful of is the canopy detaching in flight with the speed it will fly at with the AXI if you look at the pic you will see a piano wire pin at the rear, I expoxied a snake inner through the canopy into the rear and push the pin through to hold the canopy on much more secure than the magnet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18468.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	347087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa35012.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	347088  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Adam G

Thanks for the reply. Your plane looks great. Is the solafilm light covering available online?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Adam G

Bald Eagel,

Found the AXI 2212/20 and see there is a radial mount kit available. Is this the way it mounts to the PC-9? I am also assuming by the picture of the motor that the prop mounts on directly to the motor shaft using the avilable adapter, no gear box needed, is this correct? Anything else I need to order to be able to install this motor? Thanks a lot for your help, never done a brushless conversion.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Airbourne in Japan

you could also use a thunderbird 18 amp esc, by castle creations, they're new and only $32. stick mounted motor is best, so you may need to get something for this. i used a big himax outrunner on mine as well as a himax motor and gearbox, and himax outrunners come with stick mount adapters. i get over 70mph from mine and it flys beautifully, one of my best planes
Old 11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
See pic for instalation cut the stick mount 1 1/16" from the bulkhead make a ply disc to fit the radial mount and cut a slot in the top to match your stick in width and an additional 1/8" in depth, brace from the bottom I used two pieces of carbon rod epoxied into the foam at an angle (see pic) glue mount to the stick and brace's parrallel to the bulkhead, next carfully hold model vertical and place motor on the new bulkhead, place cowling in final position and centralise the motor in the front opening, remove cowling and mark position of the radial mount, you know how to do the rest, I hope, it takes longer to explain than it does to do it.
To enable a folding prop to be used you will need to bush the standard AXI prop driver, the one shewn in the pic is from a standard APC slow fly prop, use the original spinner, and "Bob is your preverbial uncle". sorry stupid English saying.
As to the availability of Solalight I can only suggest you use your own search engine in your local, it is available in England however, if you have a problem contact me and i'm sure we could work something out.
Mike

When I cam back from University I was ammased how much my parents had learnt.

I did not know my covering was so bad until I looked at the full size image on this post ah well time to get the heat gun/iron out.

Name:	Tr49215.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	347509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59799.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	347510  
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
Sorry did not answer all of your questions, you are right no gearbox is required, the prop mounts straight onto the adaptor. a picture is worth a thouhsand words. The prop fixing nut is not in place on this pic, but obviously needs to be fitted.
Mike

Name:	Nl30352.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	347511  
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Adam G

Thanks for the pictures and the details on the mounting process. I will order the radial mounting kit and prop adapter with the motor.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
You are welcome
Mike
Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Adam G

My PC-9 has arrived. I am assembling it as I type. What a pretty little plane. Seems very easy to assemble. My LHS has a full line of of AXI motors, and the AXI 2212/20 is my choice at this point thanks to BaldEagels description of the 3D like performance from the motor. What do you think BaldEagel, would you go with anything bigger at this point, or does the 2212/20 have all the power you need? I only want to buy one motor for this bird.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
The AXI 2212/20 has all the performance that the craft can take, one tip use a carbon rod in the wing rather than the glass rod supplied, carbon is stiffer and therefore the wings flex less at high g and speed. I will repeat what I'v said before I use a Graupner 8x6 cam folding prop and 3S1P Li-Po @ 1600 or 2500 according to wind speed the heavier the craft the better in wind.
Enjoy what I belive is one of the bargin aircraft out there.
If you wish to cover the craft find a shrink film that adhears below 85 deg or you will expand the foam, I used Solalight available in England, I do not know if its available in your neck of the woods.
Mike
Old 11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
CptSBW

BaldEagel,

Please verify which folding prop you are using. I found the Graupner cam folding prop w/ ABS Spinner and the Graupner cam folding prop w/ Prrecision Spinner. THe spinners are apparently the only difference, but I want to be sure before I order. Do you have a model # of the one you are using. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Steven
Old 11-16-2005, 06:46 PM
BaldEagel

Stephen
I only use the Cam Blades and the yoke on the original spinner as this looks better than the Graupner item. Have a look at the pics above posted on 11/2/2005 what a funny way to right a date, I'm most interested in the day should not that be first i.e. 2/11/2005.
Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Adam G

I finished my PC-9 tonight. I was able to get the CG just right by carving into the foam at the front of the battery compartment to allow my Kokam 1500 mah 3 cell Lipo to go about 3/4" farther forward than would normally be posssible. I did go with the AXI 2212-20 and Castle Creations 35 amp Phoenix speed control. The power is incredible. There is way more thrust than weight, which should give some good vertical. I am hoping to maiden it in the morning. Thanks for all of the advice.

Name:	Sq46255.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	359958  
Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
I dont know why you had to carve into the front to get your c of g correct mine ballances with a 2500 mah set over the wing spar, make sure your not nose heavy. What is your total weight?
Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Adam G

I am going to pick up a digital scale today and find out what my total wieght is. I have a feeling it is going to be nice and light. I am using an electron 6 reciever, and hs-81 servo's. I didn't add any extra wieght anywhere other than paint. I even shortened my wire leads to eliminate as much wieght as possible. I made a CG stand by drilling holes in a 2x6 and sticking 2 new pencils in the holes, eraser up. I put a small mark on each wing 50mm or 1.97 inches from the leading edge right next to the fuse. I then tried to balance it upside down with the pencils on my marks With the battery installed all the way forward it wanted to tip backwards and rest on the tail. I carved about 3/4" of foam out of the front end and slide the battery forward, and it balanced just right. Maybe the diference is the 1500mah lipo is lighter, and you also have the wieght of the prop adapter way out front. Let me know if you see an error in my method of balancing the plane. I am still relatively new at this. Snow and wind is keeping me from flying her today.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 AM
BaldEagel

Adam
I also use a 1600 mah accoring to the wind strength I use the 2500 when its blowing some, mine without battery balances at 2 7/8 back from the LE upside down, your method to check the c of g seems OK to me, but I fly with my c of g further back than the recommended, but thats my preference for a more lively responce, fly on the manufacturers recommeded seetings and see how you like it before messing around with the c of g etc:
Mike
Old 11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Adam G

I wieghed my PC-9, and it came out to 17.6 ounces with the 3 cell 1500mah Kokam. I checked out the CG again, and it seemed to come out at 50mm from the leading edge. I should be good to go. Now all I need is some good weather to fly it in. We are windy, 20 degrees, and snowy here.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 AM
BaldEagel

Hi
We are within an onz of each other using my 1600mah, but my c of g is further back, but I like them livly, try with your current c of g and see how it goes plenty of time to play with the c of g later, weather over here is cold and windy only good enough for big 3D, flew my Hype on sunday and managed to elevator down backwards onto the patch, but took the tail wheel off, simple repair now complete, I just love the Hype in a wind.
Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Adam G

Bald Eagel,

Have you ever considered putting landing gear on your PC-9? It would kind of kill the look of the plane, but I don't like the thought of belly landing this thing all of the time. It must really start to ding up the wings and bottom of the fuse after a while. I will soon find out. Looks like we may have a break in the weather later on this week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.