Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Very embarassing first flight

Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very embarassing first flight

I am new to RC planes so I orderd a slow v because of the price and of what I have read and seen about it. I put it together following instruction to the t and was happy with what I saw.

So I got to the park the next day and it was windy but not very windy but now that I think about it it was too windy. So I try to hand launch it, so I give it a decent throw and just as it leaves my hands the left wing breaks off. I just get a chance to turn up the throttle and it comes crashing back to earth and snaps the fussilage at the motor mount. It was the longest three seconds ever! Every one in the park who was watching me laughs and points at me. I felt like a total a**.

Besides the fact that it was too windy what did I do wrong. I already ordered a new wing and I fixed the fusilage and a really want to try again but I dont want people to laugh at me again.

I was thinking I could tape the wings up for extra reinforcement but im not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 AM
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: Very embarassing first flight

heheheh....

same thing happend to me

then I moved to glow fuel.

also if people laugh at you, just pull down your pants and moon them
Old 01-05-2005, 04:40 AM

Piero23
downlaod FMS Simulator, its FREE
[link]http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html[/link]
i am sure there is a slow V model for fms and this will be of such a help to gain skills needed for the first flight..
Golden Rules of first flight
People are a distraction, and your whole attention should be with the first flight
find a place to fly alone witha helper if possible
second pick a calm day, zero wind would be perfect
do test glides first, if possible over long grass to cushion any impact and trim the wings level
once you commit to a flight keep it level and do a gentle turn
pulse the rudder slightly and see it turn slowly and pulse a little more
if its gaining too much hieght its better to reduce the throttle rather than fly downwards
all that will happen if you fly it down to level flight is it will pick up airspeed and when you release the stick it will zoom up again
once you are in control flying at 50-100 feet then trim the aircraft and pulse the rudder again till its flying towards you
fly it in level circuits maybe 2-3 and then commit to a landing it
dont push your good luck and land it when you think its comming in Just right
as its comming in reduce the throttle and it will start decending just before landing cut the power Completly and it will land as slow speed
Good Luck
Cadetman
Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 AM

Piero..many on here will disagree with me..but I feel the 1st thing you did wrong was not buying a stronger PUSHER plane...the T-HAWK is an outstanding value and tuff as nails..I havent seen 1 post on this forum by a newbie saying that they were unable to get the t-hawk to fly or that they destroyed a component of the plane so badly that it was unflyable on their 1st attempts...and if you did beak the t-hawk wing/s /rudder/s /stabilizer/etc.. which I seriously doubt would happen..it wouldnt matter..since you get TWO complete sets of everything when you buy it brand new..so no reordering parts :}....you will get the slow v to fly../.no doubt..I just hope that on your next flight..you dont nose dive hard..and bend the motor shaft or hurt the motor..which is something else ive never heard happen on a t-hawk... for some reason..the t-hawk gets overlooked by many as a great 1st time plane...but I can say ive had mine over a year and still fly/mod it..and it seems like the thing is unbreakable...1 time I went full speed nosedive into a chain link fence...actually had to use both hands to pull the suker out...and the only damage I did to the plane was broke 1 of the rubberbands that hold down the wing assembly...not bad..considering that the damage this would have casued to most other pusher planes would have been enourmous..{ broken prop/ maybe bent prop shaft..bent/dmaaged fuselage..etc...}....with the slow v..I think you neeed to wait for 5mph or less winds..with the t-hawk..I fly in 0- 20 mph winds..
Old 01-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Slow V Fms Model
download the zip file into the fms programme in the models folder
open it up copy and paste all the files directly into the other models located within that same folder
[link=http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm]FMS Slow V[/link]
Cadetman
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

AND........don't be embarrased......we ALL been there.......more than once!! My two neighbors have destroyed at least 5 planes trying to teach themselves to fly and a third who did it without crashing once! He used a flight sim
Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys. Im still waiting for my new wings.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 AM

The Slo V in stock form does nto like any wind at all or anything more then 3 to 4 mph. Also start with the 7 cell battery used in the ParkZone cub. It is one of the upgrade sugggestions in the manual. You also might find it much easier to fly with the wing slid almost all the way back or one click from the back. Also do not hand launch it. Find yourself a hard surface atleast 50 ft long. Baseball diamonds work great. Apply full power and the plane will almost lift off on its own. once the tail starts coming up then feed it just a slight amount of up elevator.

Two other upgrades I like to mention are clipping the wings. I like to clip the wing tips to shorten the wings a bit for flying in slightly higher winds. I cut mine down about 2 inches on each side.
The other upgrade I like is going to the GWS 1180 prop. The stock prop will work but the 1180 works better. Just watch your full power flights as the motor will get a little warmer with the 1180 prop. I also have a 1260 gws prop but have not tried that one yet.

The way I calculate if the wind is to much is I set the plane down and if it does not flip over or get moved around by the wind then I can fly. Well I have set it down and had the wind flip it over and still flown it but would not have tried that in stock form.

If you are going to use the stock prop then I suggest checking the balance of the prop. Loosen up the mounting nut, slide the prop out on the shaft so it is not engaged to the nut behind the prop and set the prop so it sits horizontal and let go of it. If the prop rotates on its own till one blade is pointing downward then you need to apply a small amount of tape to the backside of the blade that is pointing upward. Use just enough so that the prop will balance horizontally on the shaft.

Also pick up a couple spare prop shafts. You will need them. If you go with the GWS 1180 prop then make sure to get spares as they are brittle and will break off if you nose it in.

The reason I suggest the 7 cell pack over the 6 cell is that the 6 cell is nto strong enough for proper flight. The plane stalls to easily and quickly with the 6 cell pack. This always leads to a crash. The 7 cell is not much heavier but give the plane more power to keep it from stalling if you climb too steeply.

More info can be had on setup of the Slo V if you do a search.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:42 AM

All of the advice you have here is good. I would strongly agree that picking a field that has no distractions (people) will greatly enhance your success. When you finally get past the 3 second flight you will find other things like trees, unleashed dogs, powerlines, and the sun, that can shorten your flight and break your fuselage.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Piero23

I purchased a Slow-V for my first plane and have had my share of crashes requiring repair. I would probably buy a push prop plane as a first plane if I had a chance to do it again. The Slow-V really isn't the best first plane since it is a little fragile. You are now in the middle of one of those life lessons. You did your homework and chose a plane that seemed to fit your need and you could afford. Unless you can afford another plane (push prop) you are in for a bit of a mental grind. Ignore the folks that were laughing or better yet join them. If you would have been watching someone else do the same thing it probably would have been kind of funny. They can laugh all they want but they are still just standing around not doing anything. You are out there learning and hopefully having fun.If you have patients and put some time in on the FMS simulator you will get a good understanding of how to control the plane. I found it much easier to take off from the ground rather than hand launching it. If you find a large parking lot you can even taxi it around some to get a feel for it. Just make sure that the tail is trimmed out properly and that the wing is in the right spot. All the advice on the battery is good but if you cycle the 6-cell a few times before you put it in the air you will get good performance out of it.

I have been flying my Slow-V for 5 months now and still managed to put it on a roof and hit a sign but I really like the plane. With the night flight module on it you can fly it around after dark for some really fun effects. Try to forgive yourself for little erros and you won't care what other people are thinking.

Good Luck,
Old 02-26-2005, 10:23 AM

has anyone done the zip tie mods on the T-hawk?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:41 PM

I've done them on AB
Old 02-26-2005, 01:34 PM

I did the motor zip tie mod on my new T-hawk. I just maidened it. It flies almost exactly like an Aerobird. I cut the flight short though because the winds were gusty, so i only flew for about 5 minutes. I really like this plane it has good power, i see alot of potential in this plane with a few simple upgrades. I dont like the stock radio so I'm going to change that. And I'm also thinking a Zagi 400 reverse motor. Its a cool plane and i think its better than the Aerobird. I like push/pull rods instead of fishing line. And you get basically a crash kit.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:45 PM

All you need to do to fly the Slo-V successfully is the following.......

Look at a flag on a flagpole. If the flag is moving, then don't try to fly the Slo-V. If the flag is just hanging there, then it's OK to fly the Slo-V.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:54 PM

You've gotten different advice that I can't really add much to other than to reiterate that we've all been there. My first flight was with an instructor and I hand launched my fomie cessna 182 with cox 049 engine.. I apparently didn't throw it hard enough so it made it far enough to get over the concrete then smacked down right on the runway... then as I slowly walk to get it everyone in the club yells to hurry up get off the runway... how constructive of them! (I'm still a little peeved about that and it was 1986)

Anyway, don't give up, you'll get there.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 AM

It's all good. Crashes are learning experiences and force you learn the skills you need to repair and become better familiar with your airplane. Fear of crashing is my worse enemy. After I conquered that fear, flying was easy. The 7 cell battery is going to help you a lot. Cheapbatterypacks.com has great solutions for your battery needs. Light is always better and extra power to get you out of trouble may not give scale performance but makes for a good escape most times. Also a little strapping tape on the bottom of the wing helps a lot. My charger is beeping so time to fly. Good luck
Bill
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 AM

Piero

Lot's of good advice about the wind. I have a Slow Stick/Slow V. Yes its parts of both combined they are about the same thing flight and construction wise except for the tail configuration. You will really like your Slow V once you get to fly it. I have been flying for about 15yrs. and do both electric and glow. My largest is 1/4 Giles 202 with OS 1.60 in it. I still get a kick out of the S.S.V. I have floats and night lighting added also. So here are some suggestions. I would like to see you succesfuly fly your plane.

The wind:
If any it has to be very moderate, particularly if you are new to flying. The flag suggestion is good or watch the little transmitter ribbon if you have it on your radio. you can get a piece of ribbon about 8" long and just tie it on also. If people are able to fly a kite in the park that's to much wind. 5mph is about max for these planes.

The wing:

Be sure you added all the bracing and tape required in the instruction. Then get some strapping tape, the kind that is about 1/2" wide and has the little fiberglass strands in it. Run about three pieces of it on the bottom of the wing. One at the leading edge, one about the middle, and one at the trailing edge, just go over any bumbs, make it reach to about two inches from the wing tips. This will add a lot of stregth to your wing.

Balance: Be sure you balance the model on the reccomended forward most CG point.

Advice: If there is a local hobby shop or a RC club ask if someone would take a look at your plane before you fly it. Try to find someone who flys electric. I do both but some of the glow guys are very ignorant about the new technology in electric powered flight. This step is optional but preferred.

Get your parts put it back together and be methodical. Little planes like full size planes have to have everything right to remain in the air. Hope you have success and enjoy flying the Slow V. [8D]

You dont have to take off but you do have to land

Old 02-27-2005, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Get a flight sim. I flew just over a year and not one crash under my belt. I even got into fast glow planes like the sig wonder which zooms around at 125 mph. That was my second airplane after my trainer which I flew 3 times. So 3 flights on a trainer to a sig wonde is huge. Of cource I couldent have dont it without my flight sim and some patient rc friends.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
My Feedback: (39)

I know. I hate it when you like hand lunch the plane and 2 feet later its in the ground in peaces. Then every one looks at you. You can feel their eyes burning in to you like that. I been there so many times i bring my super hornet- 1/10 electric buggy with me just in case lol.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Just put on a clown wig, nose and big goofy shoes and do the slapstick walk on your way to collect the pieces. Takes away there joy when you show you don't care what they think. Get video and post it if you do.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Just went and flew my slo-v today. I knew it was too windy,(15mph) but I wanted to see what it would do anyway. I hand launched and it just went up like an elevator. The gusts tossed it about a bit. I pulled the throttle back to 75% and it just hovered over me and slowly climbed up. The higher I got the worse the gusts were so I stayed about 20-50 ft high. Dont feel bad about crashing-I fly jets for a living and the slo-v is my first r/c plane too. It is a lot of fun and easy to glue back together. Mine has lost the piece that the front wing mount adjusts back and forth. I set it in the middle and wrapped electrical tape in front and behind the bracket--It secure now... After a great encounter with a large tree it nose dived and wacked the concrete. My kids just laughed! The servos kinda make a crunching noise now but still work. I have sucessfully straightened the prop shaft a few times but it gave up the ghost the other day. So I finally put the new one in.. I also ordered two 7 cell batts and a bunch of the 1180 props. I hear the two make a big difference on climb out-which is what I need. I feel your pain with the wings but coated mine with that fibered packing tape and they seem to live every time, if anything breaks, I just glue it back together or ziptie it. Have fun with it and dont get discouraged, as it is always better to smash up an R/C plane then a real one..