Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

gws beaver questions

Old 01-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gws beaver questions

i have a gws beaver that i am going to build i would like to model it after the one i flew around in alaska so im going to paint it and put floats on it can someone reccomed what would be a better motor choice than the stock one to pull the extra weight and the floats out of the water also what would you reccomend as far as batteries go that will fit in the stock location and last but not least will hs-55 servos be ok in this plane.
ps i would like the motor swap to be as painless as possible
thank you in advance
Rich
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 PM

Default RE: gws beaver questions

My latest Beaver is set up to fly with a GWS 350 - C motor/gearbox. I use a 2-cell lipo battery and a 9070 prop. It will cruise and maintain altitude at about 40% throttle. It's flying weight inclucding the battery is about 13 oz.

Sooooo

The 350 should be an adequate motor for floats, I think, as long as you keep the build light. An easy way to do that is to use lipo 2-cell batteries. If you go brushless motor, then any motor designed to operate at a 10 amp draw would be fine if you went to 3 cell lipo batteries.

If this is your first airplane, I would learn to fly it over land with reg landing gear before you try the floats.

More Beaver info here.....

http://www.novellahub.com/index.php?...viewforum&f=49
Old 01-28-2005, 09:24 AM

The stock 350 C gear and the 1080 that comes with it is more than enough power, I run a GWS 1300 2 cell, it lifts off of snow in a very short distance, took it off of dry ground (scraped snow off the ground) and it still took off within 5 to 7 feet, I have the GWS floats, if you use them the Gws kit doesn't have a plastic piece that fits the Beaver and the wires that come with the kit, if you have a war bird the parts tree will have the black narow piece on it that you need
here is a link to some photo's, on the wing is the tall wide wire that comes with the beaver along with the wire that has a smaller top on the wire and the piece you need
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=gws+beaver
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I am looking at getting the Beaver. I had that E-Starter with the 350C, and only had enough power for a couple of takeoffs, so I got the Himaxx 2015 4100 brushless motor w/ 6.6:1 GWS gear box and 11/47 prop, and used a 3cell 1200mah LyPoly pack. This setup gave a bunch of power with extended flight times. It took off from the water in no time. For about $150.00 bucks I think it's worth it.