Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

R.I.P. GWS ME-109

Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: R.I.P. GWS ME-109

Clovus:
Bet your budgie didn't think he was so lucky when you yanked the feather out.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes we are def suckers for good reviews and advertising! Too bad your all the way in Austrailia mate, a couple of Tigermoths in formation would be a sight huh?

More pics from the build...didn't like how flimsy the tail feathers were so I used some left over tube and used them to make a couple of posts that go all the way from the top of the rudder thru the elevator into the fuselage. A lot more stable I think.

Also have you noticed how messed up the manual is for placement of the control hinges? Measurement are way off! [X(]

Anyway, more to follow! Oh and Flypaper, do you have pics of what you did to beef up your landing gear?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47541.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	223439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67778.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	223440  
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 PM

He lost it due to "natural causes". Its green and yellow so matches perfectly.

I also moved the aileron hinges out as they seemed to make the aileron tips move too much for my liking- sorry that I didn't mention it before. I had some trouble getting the stickers to sit flat -and only ended up putting one on - next time I'll slice off the bumps BEFORE I put them on.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Grrr....ran into my first problem. []

Don't know if it's a major thing or not but after putting the elevator and rudder (and of course after it dried) I noticed that it's not level. One is high and one is low....we're talking just a milimeter or two. Will this affect flight charactoristics much?

Another thing I have noticed and wanted to ask about...is this bird going to be nose heavy? It seems like it is but I'm all the way thru the build yet.

Also, has anyone came up with a way to be able to put the wings on and take them off easily (for transport/storage) without having to unscrew the struts every time? I'm thinking about using small cotter pins but wanted to know if anyone else has an idea.

I had another question but I forgot. Will post more pics from the build here soon...almost done actually.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40159.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	223593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72882.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	223594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63636.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	223595  
Old 02-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Another dumb question...

Has anyone glued the top wing down on the fuselage spars? Would make it impossible to take the top wing off for transport and storage but will make it structurally sound during flight. Anyone do this or just rely on the wing struts to hold the wings together while flying?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 PM

Didn't glue mine in but used some double sided tape -with the backing removed on one side to stick to the top of the strut and still on for the other side to wedge them into the wing slot. Works fine - the wing stays in place and I can remove it easily. The first flight I left the wing just sitting there without the double sided tape but it moved during the flight- hence the crash.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 AM

WARNING! slow flying planes are addictive.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Okay what is the deal with this EP1060 prop? It doesn't fit on the motor drive shaft!? Do I have drill it or push it on there?

Grrrr.....[:@]
Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 PM

I think I tried pushing really hard but was worried about deforming the blades, so used a hand drill to widen it. Still seems to work fine. Please make sure you post about your impressions once you've flown it.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:38 PM

Yeah got it on after a bit of drilling...nice and secure now.

Installed all the radio gear and trimmed the flight controls...she is ready for a test run of the motor once my adapter connector gets here.

Quick question, how did you balance? Mine can't make up it's mind wether its nose or tail heavy...can't find the sweet spot. Got any tips? I tried balancing on two eraser tips but can't get it.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Okay, still trying to get the CG / Balance right....

Do you balance this plane upside down because of the low wing or rightside up? I can't find the sweetspot. Manual says 0-10mm from the leading edge of the bottom wing.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:09 PM

I used the bottom wing with the plane held upright and from memory my fingertips on the reinforcing rod. Avoid tail heavy at all costs - so maybe for the first flight a bit nose heavy will be OK?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Okay,

I put all the electronics where I want them and flipped the plane over (I've always been told low wing planes need to be balanced upside down) even though this is a bi-plane.

The plane seemed to balance perfectly level upside down with my finger tips between 0 and 10mm from the leading edge. Should be good to go right???
Old 02-17-2005, 11:07 PM

Well maidened the Tigermoth today....not a good flight. The wind was a little bit heavier than I would have liked but I had an itchy throttle finger and during a lull I pushed her forward and started to fly. Then the gust hit...

The gust pushed the top wing off the center mount (need to find a better way to secure it) and that caused the plane to roll over and crash. Not major damage...just broke off the center braces from the fuselage and scuffed the paint...grrrr.

She is gluing now but does anyone have a better way of pinning down that top wing especially in the center....the wing braces held great with the screws. I tried double sided tape (with out taking the one side off) to tighten up the fit but like I said it blew off anyway. I"m thinking of just epoxy'ing the thing down and say screw it with the top wing coming off for storage.

Any thoughts???
Old 02-18-2005, 09:14 AM

I have a tm 400, and my thoughts are not too fly it in the wind at all. I find mine is nothing but a big "wind catcher", and it's just way too unstable in anything but very low winds.
J
Old 02-18-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The two plastic wing mount pieces glued to the sides of the fuse are a weak spot. I made 1/32 ply plates twice the height of the plastic ones. Also the struts need to be epoxied to the wing. Also made landing and flying wires from dental floss as the wing was bending during hard maneuvers.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 PM

Sad to hear that this bird is so unstable in moderate wind, I usually don't fly when it's above 5 anyway but...I second guessed myself and flew anyway. [&o]

I decided to try a little experiment, I just cut some velcro and layed it on both sides of the wing/fuselage struts then used another larger piece to hold it down. During some "shake tests" it held pretty good without the smaller wing struts screwed in place. Should hold that wing down.

Now I wait again for the wind gods to let me fly...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:32 PM

I would suggest the Estarter next, and not TM400. Estarter is an excellent aileron trainer, glides in for landing, and has more forgiving flight characteristics than the TM400. It’s also easier to mod into a hotter park flyer with more aerobatic abilities than possible stock.

Make the TM400 your plane after you’re bored with the Estarter. It’s a bit more durable than the TM400 [Estarter has fewer parts to glue back after crunch], and is very repairable. I have seen Estarters with more epoxy than foam, they had that “far away” look, but in the air, they where great.

Not at all bashing the TM400, I love the way mine fly’s, and it’s a bit hot for a TM. I chose a 4700 Brushless with GWS gearbox and 11v 1200 lipo’s. I can hit ¾ throttle; get a 2 foot ROG, then a 45 degree climb out. It’s a fun aircraft, and looks very realistic in the air.

I like the way I can take my tiger moth, past the landing strip, start reducing power and then cut a steep 180 degree turn as it drops like a rock, only to buffet on the ground air and then tip toe onto the landing gear. This will snap off with anything more than a tip toe. LOL! That’s why I reinforced it with a tic-tac-toe pattern of thin birch ply over the landing gear slot. Now I can land in tuff grass; including rough grass for a nose over without damaging the craft or the landing gear.