Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Chow Hound P-47

Old 02-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Chow Hound P-47

I just ordered this plane as a backup to my Alfa Corsair. I hope it flies half as well as the corsair and I will be happy!!! I love to fly my corsair. It has a Jeti 18amp ESC, MP Jet red outrunner, and I have been flying it on 2 cell Thunder Power 1320mah lipolys. I just got a 3 cell pack and may try it out in this plane. The plane flies fine as it is but maybe more power would be even more fun. Anyway I know that I will eventually get stupid and crash my corsair so I bought a P-47. If anyone is already flying this plane I would love to hear from you about its assembly and flight performance. I have two friends that I fly with that have 3-D planes and they think my corsair is too fast for no bigger than it is. I think they just fly slow planes!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:50 PM

Default RE: New Chow Hound P-47

I have the older (Green) Alfa P47.

Its the slowest of the Alfa's (due to it's "fat" profile) but flies really well. Had the same initial problems with over the top control throws and tendancy to climb, that I had with my Alfa FW-190 and P-51 but was ready for it when it happened.

From what I understand, apart from the return to a 1 piece fuselage that the original Alfa P47 release had, it's the same model with the same flying characteristics.

You will be able to fit a larger battery pack as it is HUGE inside. More flight time!!!!

I use a 2 cell 2200 Ma/H Lipoly pack in my P47. It is only powered by the stock Speed 300, 5:1 gearbox set up, but I can get around 45 minutes non stop flight from this pack.

You'll have a lot of fun with this one.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Sounds great Woody. Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 PM

I got a question for ya Woody, or for anyone who can answer it,
You said the control throws were a little much. If I can't set the servo throws to dual or exponential on the transmitter, the only way I can adjust the throw is by where I put the control rod in the arm of the servo. Which hole do you recommend I put the control arm in? For the ailerons, for the elevator?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-11-2005, 03:28 AM

Hi Matt,

You shouldn't need any more than 5 mm on the ailerons and about 7 on the elevator, I cannot understand why Alfa specify the throws that they do. Once your used to the model, then try increasing them 1 mm at a time to see if you like the result. Some guys will prefer it to be a little more lively than I do. Suggest you set the settings that give you comfortable flight as a LOW rate and then increase by 1mm a flight, on HIGH rates. Then you can switch back to Low if you find yourself getting into trouble.

And ensure that the C of G is right on the mark. If it's forward you will need more elevator and if it's behind you will need a bucket to take your bits of model home in! Yes, the Alfa's are very C of G sensetive.

One other thing to watch out for. On 1st ever launch, be prepared for the model to bank to the left and also climb. Just about everyone I have spoken to who owns and Alfa has mentioned that their model did one or both of these. My 3 did both! The 1st one I ever flew caught me by surprise and I was lucky to save it. The next 2 did not.

You will need to trim these tendancy's out with the Tx trim sticks. Once trimmed, they fly really great.

I have the pushrods on my P47 , FW-190 and P51 all on the bottom hole for both aileron and elevator.

You should only need to put it up to the inner holes if you cannot reach these measurements.

If you can't, then I would closely inspect the model set up for binding pushrods 1st, as 5 and 7 mm is really not much movement at all. ( 22 mm = 1 inch roughly.)

Hint. Before assembly, remove the wire from the outer cable and spray it with WD40, then replace it. A little internal lubricant helps!! (and I'm not referring to that amber fluid that comes out of a brewery, though the same can be said of it, especially if your surveying the remains of a model in the bottom of a bucket.)

Good luck
Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Woody 51

One other thing to watch out for. On 1st ever launch, be prepared for the model to bank to the left and also climb. Just about everyone I have spoken to who owns and Alfa has mentioned that their model did one or both of these. My 3 did both! The 1st one I ever flew caught me by surprise and I was lucky to save it. The next 2 did not.

Good luck

Hmmm, I just lost my FW-190 on its first launch to hard left roll, didn't even come close to get my hand back to the stick. I am trying one more, if it doesn't make it, then thats it for ALFA, too much money in broken foam.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:38 PM

I have 5 Alfas, and I have to agree with the tendencies to turn left at launch, mostly with 100% throttle. I launch them now with 60-70% throttle and it has decreased. My KI-84 maiden was launched with 70% throttle, and it went straight and true.
I have always had to give them a little down elevator trim, to get them to fly level.

P-51B, I suggest you try reducing the throttle at launch, and make sure you launch it straight and level, not in an angle, because it might stall on you, and the left torque tendencies might cause it to get out of control and crash.
Have someone launch it for you, so you can have your hands readily available at the controls.
I hope this helps you.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to maiden my p-47. I got a wide open field right behind my house-I'm so lucky- and I'm gonna wait until the grass is about 3 ft high so if anything does happen, hopefully there will be little damage. Thanks again, you guys are great.
Matt
I'll work on getting pics...
Old 02-12-2005, 12:22 AM

Cubano gives good advice. Launch at about 70 % throttle and once it's flying and you have gained control, open the throttle to max.
Let it climb (height is your best insurance) and then sort out the trim.
I feel that the silver colour may be a little hard to see if it gets too far away, so keep it in close.
I did find the FW-190 to be a little more sensetive on the elevator than the P47.
Good luck and let us all know how you go.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM

Where do you get the Alpha models from? Would like to check em out
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/alfamodels.htm
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 AM

I just bought the Chow Hound.I also got the axi2208 outrunner with jeti controller,well see how long the 3/1500 li poly work.My first brushless.