Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Why use epoxy to glue styrofoam? >

Why use epoxy to glue styrofoam?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Why use epoxy to glue styrofoam?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why use epoxy to glue styrofoam?

On the back of my Lepage's epoxy, the only glue they recommend for styrofoam is contact cement. As I'm assembling my Estater, I'm wondering if I should go with GWS's recommendations when a glue manufacture doesn't recommend it.

I can understand the reasoning if a gap has to be filled, but for a good fitting joint?

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why use epoxy to glue styrofoam?

epoxy is fine on the foam, and very strong, but a bit heavy. the glue that gws includes is very light and strong, but takes about 24 hours to dry.... mostly, I use foam safe CA and accelerator. gws glue for joining body halves and such.... epoxy for motor mounts.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 AM

It is becuz most glues melt or in chemistry, decompose styrofoam. Tats why ppl use epoxy which is strong but does not melt the styrofoam.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:44 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Also the moisture in water-based glues is permanently trapped in the foam joint, preventing curing. Contact cement is fine for a large contact area, but not very strong in small joints. I like the GWS glue for the GWS hinges because it gives you time to arrange your waterfowl in a linear fashion. Jim
Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 PM

Michpittsman,

That it's not good for a small joint makes sense.

From what I understand about the GWS glue, from discussion at rcgroups, is that the GWS glue is contact cement.

Thanks all for the replies.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:39 AM

CA melts styrofoam! CA is the yellowish 1 rite?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 AM

Not sure if you're asking or telling. CA does melt styrofoam (unless it is foam safe CA).

It's color? The CA in my bottle looks clear.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 AM

I am stating that CA MELTS styrofoam.[sm=bananahead.gif] and i wanted to verify if CA is the yellowish one. I have never seen foam safe CA.[X(]
Old 02-19-2005, 12:05 AM

The oderless CA is foam safe. I use it all the time on my foam models. thinned down Probond also works well.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 PM

I always use epoxy on my foamies, only clear, and in 60 second and 120 second blends. I had a long running experiment in my non-environmentally controlled garage with GWS contact cement on a pico cub. After a year the glue was non-adhesive and very brittle. The other GWS aircraft stored along side the pico cub was an Estarter that I assembled with epoxy. The epoxy was still adhering and it had not changed structure or become brittle. Ever since this experience, I no longer use the GWS glue for plane assembly.

I use a 50/50 mix of epoxy and baking powder, this helps keep the epoxy light, is slightly gap filling and is easier to sand. I use small feathered layer the bond and wipe up access.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

I use

"Hold the foam" glue for fuselage assembly, from hobby lobby(not the R/C website!) It's light, flexible and it dries quick.......

"Foam safe CA" for hinges, wheel stopers and tail assembly on lighter models(pico tigermoth)......

"5min Epoxy" I use this normally for after crash repairs fuselage, motor mounts and wings.....

"Low Tem Hot glue' I use this to hold my servos, ESC, Rx and landing gears. So incase I break the landing gear on a bad landing. Atleast I'll know that I didn't cut chunks of foam from the model........

my .2cents

NoM'r......