Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Alfa Corsair Motor Choice and did I forget anything?? >

Alfa Corsair Motor Choice and did I forget anything??

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Alfa Corsair Motor Choice and did I forget anything??

Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alfa Corsair Motor Choice and did I forget anything??

Well I decided to take the plunge into e-flight. The field is 40 mi away and this should give me my "Fix" when I can't get there.

I ordered the Alfa Corsair with Hitec 555 Rx , Hitec 55 and 81 Servos. Kokam 3 cell 1500mAh Li battery, 9x6 prop,Jeti advance plus 18 controller.

I plan to set plane up as per the 10/04 Fly RC article and I've read several of the threads on this plane already.

I want to use a brushless outrunner motor. Not sure which to get, AXI 2212/20, AXI 2208/20 or the AXI 2808/16. Not sure about how to compare these. I can handle speed so Any thoughts appreciated

Pete
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Corsair Motor Choice and did I forget anything??

Hi,

Why don't you try one of MPJet motors? We have been flying a few Alfa models with the AC 28/7-35D outrunner (blue) and a 3 cell/2200mAh LiPoly pack.

Good luck.

Zdenek

www.euromodels.com.au
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: euromodels

Hi,

Why don't you try one of MPJet motors? We have been flying a few Alfa models with the AC 28/7-35D outrunner (blue) and a 3 cell/2200mAh LiPoly pack.

Good luck.

Zdenek

www.euromodels.com.au

Actually I was also looking at the AC 28/7-30 motor as that what was used in the FLY RC review.

Just want to start off with good equipment kind of like getting OS or a Saito rather than an MDS or a LEO.

Pete
Old 02-21-2005, 10:41 AM

Well went with the MP Jet AC 28/7-30D Outrunner as per the Fly RC review. Any comments on similar setup welcomed.

Pete
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM
My Feedback: (20)

I use the MPjet 28/7-30D (Red) out runner in my Alpha birds. You won't be dissapointed. Tanic 3s1550's with either APC 8x4E or Aeronaut 8.5X6 prop. Very fast setup. You can fly half throttle with plenty of authority.

Good luck

JG
Old 02-23-2005, 01:39 PM

JG,
Thanks for the info. Plane and motor arrived last night. Waiting for the flight pack. Very impressed with the Plane and how well it's packed.

Pete
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 AM

You will have to cut away some of the dummy radial to fit the MPJET motor as it is a little longer than the gearbox/can motor set up.

Also cut a warm air outlet slot in the underside of the rear of the fuselage.

Take care when setting the throws. The settings given by ALFA in their instructions are over the top. Reduce them to around 6 mm aileron and 7 mm elevator.
Ensure the C of G is spot on.

When launching the model for the 1st time it will start to roll to the left due to the torque of the prop. Just be prepared to catch it with the ailerons. Once flying speed is achieved, this tendancy will disappear. All the ALFA prop models do it. It may also climb sharply.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 AM

Woody 51

Thanks for the tips.

I had planned on setting Hi/Lo rates with the low being 75% of the throw recommended and flying on low rates to start with. Also adding 20% expo to smooth things out.

Are the recommended throws a brain fart and never to be used on this plane?

Pete
Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 AM

Hi Pete.
Yep. forget the recommended throws. Just how Alfa arrived at them I do not know. They give identical throw measurements for ALL their prop models.

Both my FW-190 and P47 are set at 6 mm Aileron and 7 mm Elevator and 30% expo.

Keep the speed up on landing. Let the model "fly" onto the ground with some speed, and slide to a halt (viz: ONTO it, not INTO it) rather than flaring just above the ground to get it to slow down and then allowing it to "plop" onto its belly.

Do the latter and you will end up with a broken fuselage.

NB. Another tip. Use RTV Silicon to fasten your servos in. That way if you ever have to remove one, it's easy to do.

For foam repairs. 5 minute epoxy is just fine.

Good luck