Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Multiplex Easy Star: Li-Poly Upgrade? >

Multiplex Easy Star: Li-Poly Upgrade?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Multiplex Easy Star: Li-Poly Upgrade?

Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Easy Star: Li-Poly Upgrade?

Hi,

I'm trying to buy Li-Poly batteries for my Easy Star. This wonderful airplane is just too pleasant to fly and I'd like to extend the flight duration.

I bought the plane from Hobby-Lobby so I use the following gear:

-HTR46722 Hitec Focus 3 "Micro" with 2 HS-81 Micro Servos
-PCJES012 Jeti 12 Amp Microprocessor

According to this french hobbyist ([link=http://uscaero77.free.fr/_avion/easystar/]See the web site[/link]), it is possible to use the Kokam 1500 A, 11.1 Volts Li-Poly battery. His Easy Star is equipped with the same Speed 400 motor but he's using a GWS ICS 600 ESC.

What's your take on this? I've been trying to get an answer from Hobby-Lobby and they mentioned that no Ly-po battery has the right voltage to fit.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Multiplex Easy Star: Li-Poly Upgrade?

I also am wanting to do the same. I bought the ARF kit and have the micro Naro servos, and stock 400 motor. I would enjoy longer flight times then what a common Ni-MH battery will give. Let us know what kind of ESC and connectors we will need and whether it will work with the stock 400 motor that comes with the EasyStar. Thanks Guys!!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:56 AM

Guys... if you are going to stick with the Speed 400 motor, I wouldn't recommend an 11.1 V (that is 3S size) lipo pack. The stock motor will handle it, but only for a short time before it burns out. You will need an ESC/BEC that is lipo aware also. There are many out there, but from what I've seen, most on the Easystar forum on RC Groups.com in the foamies area use a Jeti 25 or 30 Amp controller. Go to the Easystar forum on RCGroups.com. and take a look around.

Mike
Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 PM

I’m using a 1500mAh 11,1V LiPo from graupner. Works fine with long lasting flying times, but I usually don't fly at top speed for long periods. Well, when the original speed 400 brake it will be a good excuse to change to a stronger motor...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the replys. I'm just curious how long an 11.1V battery will keep the easystar in the air. malmeida14, how long does your easystar stay up on a full charge?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM

The time of your flights will not depend on the voltage of your batteries.. it will depend on the capacity (ie 600 mAh vs 1100 mAh vs 1500 mAh). Just as a point of reference, I have a 7 cell 1150 mAh battery pack from cheap battery packs, and flights are in excess of 15 minutes. However, using the excellent gliding/floating capabilities of the EZ*, I've also had over 1/2 hour flights using thermals. [X(] I cant wait for GOOD thermalling weather to get here (Wyoming) because right now the thermals are very weak. C'MON SUMMER!!