Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Custom Stryker Prop size? (11.1v Lipo) >

Custom Stryker Prop size? (11.1v Lipo)

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Custom Stryker Prop size? (11.1v Lipo)

Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Stryker Prop size? (11.1v Lipo)

Thanks to the good advise on here, I have flown my custom (built from spares & 5 ch radio) stryker for a week. The thing rocks! I am using the stock motor/prop with a 11.1v 1500mah lipo and a FMA super 20 ESC. Although everything seems to work fine I am have a couple issues I am hoping to get some help on. When I give it full stick (while holding the plane static) with the fresh charged battery, it cuts out after a few seconds, and then restarts if I back off. Also during flight it has (on occassion) cut off completely and left me powerless (controls still work). After landing, I would have to switch off the rcv and back on...then it would work and fly again.

Do others use a different size prop when flying with 11.1v lipos? Is this a current issue? (The esc is rated at 20amps). Is the motor or the esc causing the cuttoff?

Beyond those issues...the Stryker flys great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Custom Stryker Prop size? (11.1v Lipo)

mark,
to me it sounds like the esc is cutting off, possibly due to over current draw. You may have a motor that's going south, and tripping the esc.
BJ
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM

i have the same controller, but it is in a gws slow stick. mine exactly the same thing, i just got done flying today and it is still doing it. i thought at one time it was glitches, but after it happening so many times to only the throttle (even with me standing right beside it) and sometimes the controller wont work at all untill i re-program it, then it works again for a few flights and starts over again. im about to throw the controller in the trash, lol. i know im not overpowering it, i checked and am only pulling 6 amps at full throttle, and its rated at up to 20 amps. so there must be a lot of these that are defective.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:13 PM

Hi,

You will DRAMATICALLY shorten the life of your stock motor if your run on 3s LiPo with the stock propellor.

Two good choices.
Cut 5/16" off of each tip of the stock prop.

or

Buy a Firebird IIST prop and drill the hole to match the 480 shaft

You should prop it to draw about 12-13 amps WOT (on 3s). Beyond that, you are lugging the motor, generating heat, and other bad stuff.... It will be inefficient and unhappy.

D. RIbbe
Old 02-23-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks. I will try the Firebird IIst prop, to avoid any issues with blade balance that may result in cutting the stock blade.

How will this affect the performance (beyond the plus side of extending the motor life)?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:19 AM

It will turn many more RPM's than the Stock setup, and have noticeably more power than the stock setup. A bit more speed, and crisper flying.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: dribbe

Hi,

You will DRAMATICALLY shorten the life of your stock motor if your run on 3s LiPo with the stock propellor.

Two good choices.
Cut 5/16" off of each tip of the stock prop.

or

Buy a Firebird IIST prop and drill the hole to match the 480 shaft

You should prop it to draw about 12-13 amps WOT (on 3s). Beyond that, you are lugging the motor, generating heat, and other bad stuff.... It will be inefficient and unhappy.

D. RIbbe
The local hobby shop only had a Firebird XL prop (HBZ2004), is this the same thing? It is about 1/5 larger then the stock Stryker prop, but appears to be a bit thinner (less bite).

Mark