Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Hobbico MKII Field Charger Problems >

Hobbico MKII Field Charger Problems

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hobbico MKII Field Charger Problems

Old 02-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico MKII Field Charger Problems

Im having issues with my [link=http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html]Hobbico MKII Field Charger[/link]. It seems to be false peaking with all of my batteries. I have 2 sets of charger leads, neither make a difference on either side. I havent determined if its false peaking randomly or every time...but tonight it has been every time. Has anyone else with this charger or some other charger had this kind of problem? Im pondering taking it back to LHS to exchange or upgrade to a better charger....anyone have some ideas what might be wrong or suggestions on a different charger?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:57 PM

Default RE: Hobbico MKII Field Charger Problems

Yes, I have had the same problem with mine, ( when it happened I would just keep trying and sometimes it would eventually work) but I solved the problem quickly by selling the hobbico mkII and purchasing a Great Planes Triton Charger for $50 more. Its an awsome charger, with digital functions and you actually know the capactiy and charge time, etc with the triton charger.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

How do you know that it is false peaking?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:11 AM

The way I knew it was false peaking because I would put a discharged nimh cell on there ad 2 minutes later it would be as if it was ready to be taken off.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

You're sure the battery is good
Old 02-27-2005, 12:37 PM

I have a hobbico charger, that I use for my Lipo's and use a Digital Multimeter to monitor voltage. My Nicads have falsed peaked and Nimh's packs get over charged sometimes. Its best to check your packs voltage before charging and recheck after 20-30 mins as not to over charge. Are you sure that they are not nicads, Nicads have memory. Nicads 1/2 drained will only charge half way, If they are Nimhs try discharging completely and recharge at 200ma ( 0.2 lowest setting ) also monitor the charge as mentioned before ( every 30mins) may take some time but it will tell you if that pack is going bad.

Here's my 2 cents
I use old 1200 mah AA nimh cell phone batteries for gliders. they go bad in about 12-18monthsy but work ok, at 25 cents a cell what can you say. The Wall charger type 200mah batteries only last 1 yr. So is your batteries 1 yr Plus old or have you check for a bad cell ( Solder joint too). Most people get 50-150 flights on batteries, just depends on how you charge them - Slow ( 1-12 hrs ) or Fast ( 30- 45mins).

Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 09:44 AM

Thx EastCoastKustomz, at least I know its not just my charger going psycho. The Triton can only charge one pack at a time, correct? Does it still take the avg 40min to charge?

Bookstar, I know its false peaking because this chargre beeps when its "done". I would plug in a dead battery pack, turn it on and after 2 seconds it will beep.

Hank, packs should be fine...they are no more than 2-3 months old with no more than 20 flights on some of em.