Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:26 AM
cadetman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER,WAY PAST THE LIMITS!

Glacier
it Goes without saying that i got stopped AGAIN [>:]
we were 8 kilo's over for Hold Luggage so i decieded to take a holdall bag on board with us,
after answering all the questions
did you pack the bag yourself.. could anyone have interfered with..yadda yadda
we went thru to security check..
un-be-known to me my partner (bless her cotton socks) had re-arranged the contents of all the suitcases and bags to get the last few items packed in
the guy operating the xray machine must have thought he hit the jackpot,
as inside was glass bottle's, scissors and various metal object from the orient [X(]
a red faced cadetman was sent packing back to the checkin desk to have the objects sealed into a cardboard box and pay for the privilage of missing breakfast before the flight [>:]
one day i will get thru security without red lights flashing and beeps going off
it was definatly a culture shock, dont ask my why but i pressumed there would be a LHS on every corner !
but in China anything that is concidered a luxury is Very Expensive !
i had visions of a suitcase full of battery packs for 50 dollars
it was a Brill place to visit but i wouldnt take children
there is lots of work being done there for the Olympics in 2008
they even have a clock in Ti-Ana-man Square counting down the days hous and mins !
i know thats not how you spell Ti-Ana-man Square [&o]
when i get a moment i will read up the last few pages on the other thread
its good to be back and ready to fly Stryker MmmUuuHahaHahah..
Cadetman

Old 05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
burnt_sandwich

I tried the servo idea by swapping the ch2 servo into ch3, and hooking the esc up to a random channel. The servo throw is exactly the same on ch3 as ch1 and 2 (ie the limits on the tx are fine). I also tried arming the esc at 1/8th throttle but it made no difference. The lipos came today but no one was in, so I will pick them up tomorrow. That may help to prove if it's the batteries or something else.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
cadetman

burnt_sandwich
BP21/ESC Arming beeps
TX On and set to Zero Throttle then plug in battery to ESC you get One single Beep (hi tone)
the motor is armed and ready to Go,

TX On and throttle set to max then plug battery into ESC with Switch on you get 2 hi tone beeps,
when you reduce the throttle to zero you get one low tone beep and one hi tone beep and the motor is armed and ready to go,
Cadetman
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09 PM
LoudEye

mrfixit54016/All,

What would be a good replacement charger for the stock batts of the stryker? I am still using the parkzone car charger and I hate it. Takes 40+ minutes to charge one battery and I can't drive for 3+ hours while I am charging all my batts. I have contemplated changing the connection from the battery to the stock ESC so that I can buy a quick charger...but I am too new to the world of R/C planes to know what to do.

-------

Glacier/All - Thanks for the info on replacing the stock radio and esc. I am about to buy this from towerhobbies:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUV7**&P=0

Do you think the servos for this radio will be problematic for installing in my bird? Should I swap them with the Hitec 81's?

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 PM
burnt_sandwich

What I get:

2 sets of 3 ascending beeps followed by 2 descending beeps if throttle set to 0
2 sets of 3 ascending beeps followed by 2 low beeps if throttle set to max
2 sets of 3 ascending beeps if radio not switched on

I know that the last 2 beeps are to do with the brake feature being on/off. However, I can't find anything about what the other 6 beeps mean. The first 6 beeps are in quick sucession, no pause.

I have tried resoldering all connections, so I doubt that that is any problem. I can't figure out what the 6 beeps mean. Any more ideas!?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
cadetman

burnt_sandwich
is this the same ESC as i got with the BP21?
all those beeps are trying to tell you something but i have No idea what it could be
in electrical engineering No Beep or one beep means everthing is Fine
more beeps are a diagnostic tone to point to a problem
i would read the Optic manual to see if there is any info there that could help
Cadetman
Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
burnt_sandwich

I got the ESC that came with the robot birds package. It's here: [link]http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=417&osCsid=d957b3c8e186370d2d24af0848ffa897[/link]

Did you not get the BP18A ESC that came direct from the BP site? I don't know what the ESC from robot birds is but I'm not convinced it's the BP one.

Does your ESC have an extra wire with jumpers on it for selecting batteries? Mine doesnt.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
HELLFIGHTER

That new esc looks like its going to be one of my buys Mr Tbone.

Good news, My new stryker came in the mail and now Im ready to dog fight and crash into my friend who can fly. What we used to do with our old planes is get some pooper trooper parashuits and stuff them in tubes under the wings, then we would attach fishing hooks to the suites and adjust them for combat. Its great to get a good bump in and see the suite come out and watch the enimy plane twirl to the ground.

Bad News, My old stryker is not taking to the new Motor mount so well. the plane is all waufty and I cant do loops. I'll get some speed up and pull back, the plane points verticle and screams to a stop. The Thing flys fine it just kinda flails and pitches from side to side after a roll. It basicly does not like to go up or turn quickly without loosing air speed, but it makes for a great trainer. Its either:

(A) The new motor mount places the motor too high, its about 2/3 inches higher than stock. This is my guess
or
(B) The angle of the motor needs to be pitched more.

Before I try to fix, what do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:01 PM
cadetman

burnt_sandwich
its the Same ESC but with out the Jumper Lead [X(]
i would contact Robot Birds and ask if they have the set up instructions for the ESC you recieved,
is there any links that can be cut (User Friendly Links ) on the ESC ?
Robot Birds Pic on Left.. Balsa Products pic on the Right
Cadetman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81678.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	269577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80008.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	269578  
Old 05-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Maine_Flyer

hellfighter, sounds like the thrust angle is too high.. if you place straight edge on the side of the center-line of the motor (like the line the motor's shaft takes) it should point at the nose or just above the nose tip... if the angle was too high I can see it having those issues...

quick test: while flying, kill the motor and glide.. trim for a level glide-path.. then nail the throttle.. if it pitches nose-down, your thrust angle is high; if nose-up then angle is too low... it should bolt off flat and level for perfection in the angle..

or you can do the opposite and trim for level flight at full throttle, kill the throttle, if it noses up, the angle is high and vise versa..

center gravity being off too much could have a similar effect.. real nose heavy

two ways tah skin the same feline

let us know how she goes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Maine_Flyer

ORIGINAL: Maine_Flyer

hellfighter, sounds like the thrust angle is too high.. if you place straight edge on the side of the center-line of the motor (like the line the motor's shaft takes) it should point at the nose or just above the nose tip... if the angle was too high I can see it having those issues...

quick test: while flying, kill the motor and glide.. trim for a level glide-path.. then nail the throttle.. if it pitches nose-down, your thrust angle is high; if nose-up then angle is too low... it should bolt off flat and level for perfection in the angle..

or you can do the opposite and trim for level flight at full throttle, kill the throttle, if it noses up, the angle is high and vise versa..

two ways tah skin the same feline

center of gravity being off alot can have a similar effect... in your case "real nose heavy" ...

let us know how she goes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Maine_Flyer

woops , double post
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

jikkjack,
System looks good, the 3108s are slightly less weight and a hair more torque then the Hitec 55's. They should do you good untill you get into higher speeds, then make switch to 81's or for max 81MG's
Old 05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Glacier Girl

Cadetman,
I bet they have your photo at all the airports now, you renegade terrorist.

To all,
Newest note to self: Fiberglass resin gets hot when curing. I was working on Pre-Stryker, and glassed fuselage around tubing for fanjet. Took a look this PM and found the fanjet housing had warped badly from the heat of the glass curing. Took almost an hour to heat and reform housing with heat gun and dowel rod, to get fan to turn freely.[:@]
Oh well had nothing else to work on.
BJ
Old 05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
HELLFIGHTER

Thanks Maine Flyer, I'm glad I checked before reforming my mount. Now all I have to do is change that angle.

ooooooo, Glassing your stryker? Im going to do that when I get a couple... few hundread bucks together to turn my stryker into a god. Then I can take my modified stryker and drive it threw my stock stryker like a hawk rips a duck from the sky.

P.S. my motor mount has a bit of flex to it... how bad is that?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:15 AM
cadetman

Glacier
i have used lots of Resin etc.. not on RPV's but in the trade
i have found if you put too much catalyst in the curing goes Critically Hot
in cold temperatures if you dont use enough catalyst it will never cure [&o]
the thickness of the project also has a big effect as too does the heat dissapation from the material
the manufacturers just give guide lines as to the quantities that should be mixed,
and i too always seem to error on the side of caution.. i Always mix more catalyst in to make sure it goes Off !
and the heat build up can be soo hot you can Burn your hand on the chemical reation taking place [X(]
so in good Ole' Manufacturing Fashion you should try a sample first on a test piece to ensure its gonna work ok
i have also noticed a New tin of Resin goes off even Quicker !
Cadetman
Old 05-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Glacier Girl

Cadetman,
Yeah,yeah,yeah. Now you say something.

Hellfighter,
Flex is a no no. Motor/mount movements will make trimming out your bird a bear.
Will allow motor/prop thrust angle changes in flight. Not fun.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 AM
chippedprop

hellfighter
I have exp. with diff mts. If your rear deck is baddly damaged- cut out the bad and insert 3/8 thick flat balsa stock. I have a post on page 70-73 don't remember the exact page - with pics
I t works great. make sure the new part is flat with the bottom of the wing. This gets rid of up/down thrust problems. Make sure you mark the center line of motor thru nose ( I use a laser- the one that projects a line $29.99 or less at Lowes).I just drill 4 holes close to motor- add to nylon wire ties- eye ball the thrust left/right with prop. on -Tighten up fly.
You attach new flat balsa deck with epoxy or I have been using low temp hot glue gun. Works every time and you don't have to worry about the larger size motors not fitting on old stock mount.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:08 AM
chippedprop

To all

Did fly lawndart. It flys great with larger vert. fins No prob. Did not shot vid due to tech. prob. with helper( my son had to work).
Did crash due to pilot error ( OK I was showing off and Got upsit down and wot about 6 feet of the ground and lost it!!!).
Damage control- crushed the front and snapped off-redo again
I would recommend the 81mg servo as no damage (yet). Just foam and Pride damage.

Will be at the JOE NALL fly Event this weekend. FRI.& SAT. Will be looking for ideas etc. to pass along as there will be people world wide attending. No I'm not flying ( they value their lives to much)[]
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 AM
mrfixit54016

JikkJakk,

I am using the Great Planes Peak 400 charger. $30 from Tower and it will do from 1 to 10 NiMh cells. It has worked terrific for me.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Freshmeat

Because we had chatted about it before and it came up again on this thread I figured to share some news- The Mustang P51 Receiver is not compatible with the stock equipment it is 3 wire, Stock is 4. So to use it will need to replace all guts and trx. It will do 3 cell lipo max at 2100MaH. Could not tell me the max amps it could handle. They are still out of stock and said it will be awhile before they catch up with all the back order. So in my opinion dont try to adapt those peices to a stock stryker it would be best to go and buy the correct peices to be able to build on. This is what Amy(or susan, cheryl,betsy,I forget) at Horizon said.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
burnt_sandwich

OK lipos have just arrived. They come with no wrapping, no leads, just 3 cells and a PCB. Is it ok to solder wires onto the PCB!?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Glacier Girl

B/s
Should be ok, Make sure you insulate/heatshrink to cover solder on top, also would recommend putting a loop in the leads and heatshrink with pack. That way leads will take shock on prang, and not pull pcb or tabs off.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Planebeach

Hi, about a month ago my styker went brushless I bought a AXI 2208. But after some flying i was not satisfied[] And when my dad went over to Top Gun (Lakeland, FL) I aked him to buy a big brushless for my styker.

He got back yesterday[8D] And with him he had a Ripmax Outrunner 2812[8D] and an ESC 25 AMP, Kokam 3P 2000 mAh. Did a small testflight today.

WOW, slow down[X(] Dam its fast, way to fast. I got scared that the wings would fall off. I just have too program the ESC tomorow (did it little bit fast today) Will post some pictures inn a few days.

Kep'em flying fast guys

Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
hrwatson68

chippedprop...

Mom, Dad, sister, brother, cousin, nephew, or homeless guy on the corner couldt'n get some video??? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.