Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Wind

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
cloudklutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions concerning Electric power and the wind. It seems most of what I try to fly does not react well to any kind of breeze. ( I never knew the wind blew all the time till I started trying to fly backyard and park fliers.) Any one having good luck with a particular model in windy conditions.
Do the faster planes penetrate better?

Im anxious to here from you.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:19 PM
drunkenbushman

Default RE: Wind

ORIGINAL: cloudklutz

Hey Guys,

( I never knew the wind blew all the time till I started trying to fly backyard and park fliers.)
i found this out as well when i started to get into park flyers, and i used to say im sure it only got windy here after i didnt want any wind.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

The basic problem is that most electrics offered are powered just enough to fly. Wind is the big detrimental factor. They have to be light enough for minimal power to sustain lift. Weight helps with wind compatability, but weight means more power needed to fly. I fly a brushless Cub that will push through most winds that stock version would never attempt, but it is buffeted all over the place due to light weight. My Stryker is much heavier and faster, same winds have much less effect. Even the stock Stryker will fly in higher winds then most, again due to increased weight and power to push it. You want a bird that can handle more than 10mph winds, look at the Stryker, you want a bird that will handle 25mph+ winds, build a brushless version like I did.
Ever notice that gas planes are listed weight wise in pounds and electrics are listed in ounces? That's why gas birds handle winds better.
BJ
Old 05-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The design of the plane helps determine how it handles wind. My lighter park flyer actually handles wind better than the heavier one, so while weight is one thing, it is not the only thing.

I've heard that flying wings (GP slinger, Zagi, Unicorn, etc) handle wind better than convential aircraft designs.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Fly early in the morning or late in the evening.

Gas planes have trouble in the wind too. Yesterday, I struggled to get my UCANDO 46 (5.5 lb) down and so did a fellow pilot flying a 1.20 size Edge. The wind picked up severly when we were flying. I brought my Miniflash along because I thought the wind was gonna be calm later, but it only got worst. I did not fly my glo plane today due the high winds.

One strategy people use is to fly their glo planes in the daytime and their electrics later in the evening when it is calm. The wind is one of the main reasons I went to glo powered planes. Power, or lack there of, being the second.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
boss_blueangels

I've found the problems related to wind are mostly determined by the pilots skill. I fly my dad's Firebird III around in 15-20 mph wind. Sure it's a trick to get it back upwind, but very do-able. And quite fun. My Stryker I've flown in 30-35 mph wind, and I have a gasser that I've flown with gusts nearing 40.

Also, the TYPE of wind makes a HUGE difference. If it is GUSTY than you'll have a heck of a time flying ANYTHING in that. It gets tricky when your aircraft is constantly going up and down by the wind gusting, then stopping, then gusting again... etc. But if it's a smooth, steady velocity it'll be just like flying it in smooth air... just a faster downwind and a slower upwind.

Good luck and have fun! And don't let the wind scare you away... once you've flown in it for the first time, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I was very worried about it untill I tried it. Now I find flying in high gusts to be more fun than aerobatics! lol
Old 05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
rob.l

For me,
Wind = Money
Old 05-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boss_blueangels
I've found the problems related to wind are mostly determined by the pilots skill.
I would disagree. Even a skilled pilot will not be able to land a 3 channel park flyer in gusty, variable, turbulent winds without putting the airframe at risk. Flying in the wind is usually not the problem. It's landing.

How can anyone compensate faster than the plane can respond?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Uncas

Well a gusty cross wind landing is the most difficult. Today I ripped my gear off my UCANDO 46 trying it. This plane is way bigger than a park flyer but it also has huge wings. Now I believe a more skilled pilot would have landed it better (and I am so glad they were not there to see me do this).

Driving home I tried to analyze my error. As my speed decreased on descent the crosswind grabbed my tail and turned me into the wind. At first I thought OK - I will work with this and get it down in the grass. But then with the wind into the wings the plane jumped up, stalled and landed hard and broke the gear. I am not good with the rudder and I think a better pilot would have used the rudder to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway. The final approach was pretty good until the crosswind turned me.

Rudder control on landing is a skill I do not have yet, though I have known I need it ever since my Funny Park days.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 PM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

jets and ww2 birds are the best for handling wind that i know, flying wings are something i have never tried or will ever try probably
Old 05-22-2005, 11:07 PM
AgCat1982

I don't completely disagree with you, Time Pilot, but, of course experience makes all the difference in the world when flying in the wind. A Slow Stick is considered a parkflyer that can't handle much wind. That's true to a point. It's big light weight wings make it hard to keep in place, but, I have found with many hours flying one, that I can fly mine in pretty strong winds. It's not easy. You have to know how to control the plane to get it to come back after its blown down wind and you have to fly it right to you and grab it when trying to land! Now that I upgraded to a brushless I can handle even more wind.

OF COURSE there is a limit, there is on any plane, but, experience will let you fly when others can't.

Most noobies would loose or crash their slow stick in winds that I fly in. I have learned the tricks!