Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
GLbiggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

I have two FW190. The first was PZ setup and all was straight. I have flown it with NiMh and Lipo and both work well. The nimh is a bit soft though. The second one was built from a reject Fuselage that was twisted as you say, with a new wing and tail. I split it from the wing to tail along the existing joint and re glued it straight with Ultrafly foam glue (see MRC dealers). This is a clear adhesive that works great on foam (I believe craft shops have something similar). It is slow setting and needs overnight drying.
I then fitted it out with JR 371 servos an E Flite 450 and Spektrum receiver. Use a PZ LiPo and performance is really good. The gearbox in the original seems to sound better than the quiet outrunner.
The new wing was squashed,when made I'd guess and was only half thickness between the servo hole and trailing edge, it had quite a bit of under camber.. I split it right along the trailing edge from aileron to aileron and opened it up like an oyster shell. After a lot of thought and frustration trying to get it back to correct shape. I glued a shaped piece of 1/4 Depron from trailing edge forward into each side of wing. Again using the foam glue.
This put the shape near to that of the original model. I've been flying both for well over a year and I find them easy to fly and have only once had a duff launch, caused by a gust of wind.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Jay Hayes

I just got my first radar reading today. My mustang is grounded waiting for a new tail/ elevator, so I used my PZ FW190. Bone stock with the brushed motor and a lipo. Level flight, full throttle, 44mph. Long shallow dive,(30 deg) full throttle, 53 mph. As slow as possible and not stalled, level attitude, but losing altitude, 23mph. I know my brushless mustang is faster, and I will post the results when it returns to the air.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: ploesti_b24

I just got my first radar reading today. My mustang is grounded waiting for a new tail/ elevator, so I used my PZ FW190. Bone stock with the brushed motor and a lipo. Level flight, full throttle, 44mph. Long shallow dive,(30 deg) full throttle, 53 mph. As slow as possible and not stalled, level attitude, but losing altitude, 23mph. I know my brushless mustang is faster, and I will post the results when it returns to the air.

Well Done... We tried everything to get my radar gun working on our birds on the weekend, but it would not pick them up. Will try again this weekend and see if we can get them!

How far away were you from the planes??
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Jay Hayes

The radar gun had no trouble picking it up. I triggered at about 150 feet and flew right over my head. I held my radio in my right hand and the gun in my left, with the throttle slider all up. I wont be able to fly the P 51 like that so I'm going to put the gun on a photo tripod with the trigger held on with a velcro strap. I just got the Flycamone2 from hobby lobby, so next up is in-flight video. I need to find a way to shoot looking ahead without looking thru the prop.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: ploesti_b24

I need to find a way to shoot looking ahead without looking thru the prop.
Good luck with that! You get a bit of prop effect, but nothing to worry about! I know someone who sat it REALLY close to the prop and that seemed to cut down the affect somewhat!

Make sure you post it so we can see.

Cheers
-J
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 PM
AE1 Lambert
My Feedback: (1)

I got my parts in today. I also ordered a set of PZ Cub landing gear. I saw back on page 57 where someone had cut them in two and installed them. I'm not sure what he used for the tail wheel though. My LHS has the size wheels in stock that the guy used also. I have the wing apart right now so I was going to glue a couple of small squares in for support. Has anyone had luck launching and landing without a rudder or stearable tail wheel and can the stock motor and battery carry the extra weight?

My LHS also has the PZ Li-Po balancing charger/ 11.1V 2200mAh (12C?) battery combo for $79.00. Has anyone used this battery charger/battery setup. I have spet hours reading through this fourm. I think I still have about 30 or so pages I haven't read yet but don't remember reading anything about it. My stock battery and charger seem to work pretty good but I do completely discharge it with a flood light bulb between charges. I am a little worried after all the things I read about PZ electronics but the price is right.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 AM
The_Mongrel

AE1 - I will make comment here on your LiPo Question.

DO NOT FULLY DISCHARGE A LIPO. Sorry for yelling but these lipo batteries can be nasty. Just youtube lipo and see what you get! They become unstable either too highly charged or to low!!

You MUST use a lipo charge. DO NOT charge on a standard battery charger - you will likely cause a fire. I would do some serious reading on Lipos and the dos and don'ts before you play with them.

Cheers
-J
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 AM
AE1 Lambert

I am new to RC but I know a little about batteries. I am a Aviation Electrician and have been working with batteries for various Navy aircraft for 19+ yrs. I've worked on P-3s, A-6s, S-3s and FA-18A /B/C/D and a little on Super Hornets. I spent 3 years working in a Navy Battery shop building up and servicing batteries. Mostly Nicad and Lead Acid until recently. We have a few Lithium batteries around now and you can't imagine all the battery safety proceedures that came with them. We have a four inch thick manual that sets out proceedures for batteries and anyone who works with them is required to have 40hrs min training.

The batteries I was talking about, that I completly discharge are the Ni-MH batteries that come with Frankie.We don't really work with Nical metal hydroxide batteries much either but we do have equipment to fully discharge them before charging.

The charger I was refering to by ParkZone (PZ part number PZK1040) is a 2-3 Cell DC LiPo Balancing Charger. I was asking if anyone used this charger along with PZ's 2200mAh 3S 12C LiPo Battery and would like to know how it worked for them. From what I read here, most people don't seem to like PZ electronics but my Ni-MH battery and PZ charger seem to work fine although the connectors are junk and I have to bend them back into shap from time to time.

MAYBE MY QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS WERE NOT CLEAR???

Thanks for looking out for me though. As much as I like Frankie (AKA Luscious Lisa), I still wish the guy at the hobby shop would have looked out for me. I really wanted the Hrg 9 RTF. She spent the same amount of money as it would have been but got me Frankie and G4 at the same time. The Hgr 9 came with its own simulator and you use the same controller.[]

Thanks again for watching out
Ash
Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 AM
The_Mongrel

ASH - Sorry Mate... no disrespect was intended.

I don't know much about the PZ chargers as I have an Imax Lipo Charger.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Cheers
-J
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 AM
tubamike78

the parkzone charger will get the job done, takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs to charge and you can only plug it into cig lighter, not a good idea to leave lipo in car unattended, would recemend a fireproof box to charge in to contain fire in case of it. if you take care of lipo and do not set charge rate higher then 1C, then you should be fine. just remember to remove the lipo jumper in frankie before you fly, it will cut motor when lipo reaches 9V.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Jay Hayes

AE1: The additional ounce or so right at the CG will be of little consequence. I'd be more concerned with drag. If you notice a need for alot of up elevator trim to fly level, that is alot of wasted energy. I have a couple tricycle gear electrics that land just fine on grass with little rudder input, but on pavement they will do hard spins to the right if not rudder corrected. I aslo admit that I have several fixed gear planes and they fly fine, so my drag concerns may be unwarranted.

You probably would have liked the HGR9 plane alot too. Electric is easier, cleaner, etc......but nitro is a blast. I dont regret that I learned on electric, its hard enough just learning to fly, let alone deal with a finicky glow motor. But once this damn snow is gone my electrics go in storage till next winter.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 PM
AE1 Lambert

I glued in some balsa landing gear supports last night. Also painted my engine cowl, spinner and the top of my fuselage. Did a little work on my original plactic skeleton also. A little more balsa and epoxy and she'll be better than new.

ploesti_b24
I didn't really think there would be a CG issue, like you said they are going real close to center. Tail wheel may move it a little but I still haven't figured out what I'm going to use for it yet. Drag and the extra total weight worries me though. Thats part of the reason I'm hoping to talk my wife into the Li-Po, ( which will move the CG father back but I have already added foam to the nose so it should kind of even out ), so I will have a little exta juice when I try to take off the first time. You think I should offset the tall wheel to counter act the thrust? The runway is pretty wide as the SuperCub will take off on it sideways.

tubamike78
Thanks for the reply. I am planing on putting in a switch instead of using the jumper in hopes that after I workout the takeoffs that I'll still be able to use the stock Ni-MH battery between charges. I want to put clips on my other PZ/HZ charges so I can connect directly to the battery outside my truck. Easier to monitor from there. My trucks outlets seem to eject the plugs without notice which makes keeping track of the charge times difficult. 1.5 to 2 hours isn't much of a problem for me. I don't usually fly until all the nitro planes are on the ground. They say to go ahead but I don't want to wear out my welcome or be in the way. Between charges now I just hang out and BS with the old (older) guys at the field and watch them fly/work on there planes. By the time my battery recharges, I am usually still waiting 10 or so minutes for them to finish there next flights. Show respect to get respect if you know what I mean.

The_Mongrel
No harm They are dangerous. Guess it's best to tell someone, in case they don't know any better, than to read a post from them a few days later about how their battery exploded and they lost an eye and know you could have said something to help them. I guess you are on the other side of the country (Island) from Perth. I've been there three times and spent close to two weeks working on Pearce Air Force base at the beginning of the war. Great people there. They tought me how to "joust" Don't think I meet anyone who wasn't nice and polite to me. Almost made me want to move there.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
The_Mongrel

AE1,

yep - I am over closer to the east coast. But speaking of Western Australia... I am in the middle of building a Catalina with a 1300mm wingspan... so i am looking forward to that!!

Cheers
-J
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM
tubamike78

here's a post from the parkzone trojan forum for some cheaper lipo's that people seem to be pleased with

I have read the hobbycity lipos for a bit more are a better value. Like this one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5607

While not the best rating, these are claimed by some to be the very same stock Parkzone , just under generic label and should work fine in the stock rtr T-28:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6451

i ordered 2 of each over the weakend but have not received them yet.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Jay Hayes

Flew with camera onboard today, footage was OK, but prop effect is bad. We are at the end of winter here and everything is dead, muddy and brown. Footage will be better in spring. I think I am going to put the cam in a wing, out of the prop area. Like a gun camera. The FW190 carried the camera like it wasnt even there. I just taped it to the nose just in front of the canopy.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
LICobra

Ploesti.....I'd like to see that those videos...

Well im almost there....got the new 45A ESC yesterday, the gear box has been altered and the 2700kv motor is temporaraily in, just waiting for the pinion gear. No fancy paint job or video camera...I just hope to fly and land.

LICobra
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
GLbiggles

ORIGINAL: tubamike78

here's a post from the parkzone trojan forum for some cheaper lipo's that people seem to be pleased with

I have read the hobbycity lipos for a bit more are a better value. Like this one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5607

While not the best rating, these are claimed by some to be the very same stock Parkzone , just under generic label and should work fine in the stock rtr T-28:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6451

i ordered 2 of each over the weakend but have not received them yet.
Tubamike, it appears that both of these are out of stock at the moment.
I am using the first one in a model at around 16 to 18 Amp and it is as good as any other type I have tried.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
AE1 Lambert

Still waiting on my landing gear. My son threw away the silver/chrome paint I had been using and I never paid attention to what kind it was because I had a wrecked fuselage to experiment on. Now I can't find the same stuff. The paint I just used looks pretty good but you can't clear coat or paint over it. I need to finish the green anti glare strip down the nose then repaint the silver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67942.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	909064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36085.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	909065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71443.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	909066  
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 AM
LICobra

Ploesti....question concerning the 2700kv in your Mustang.

The motor is in and there no binding of the set screw to the propeller shaft gear or the screws that hold the motor to the gearbox. I pre checked it and ran the motor before installing in the fuse with no prop, ran great...I then attached the prop, and at initial startup with very low rpms the prop would shake sort of shake back and forth but not turn until a little more throttle was applied then it ran fine and I was able to bring it down to very low rpm's. If I start it and throw the rpm's right to 1/2 throttle it's ok....could this be a function of the ESC...im using a castle creations 45a, programming is factory set.

LICobra
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Jay Hayes

Thats a normal characteristic of a brushless motor. They will make a high pitch noise and chatter if you try to start them with a very low throttle setting. They will do the same thing if you try to start them with the prop obstructed. It is not a malfuntion and will not be an issue during flight.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
LICobra

Ploesti...thanks...I guess Frankie is ready to go !!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
The_Mongrel

Yep what Ploesti said...

It has something to do with the timing of the motor. At low voltage it may jitter its head off. Don't stress! You could try and adjust the timing of your ESC, but if it works under normal flying conditions, don't worry about it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 PM
AE1 Lambert

Well, I added landing gear. On my initial taxi test it pulled hard right so I bent the landing gear to the left to compensate. After several adjustments I was able to get it to track almost stright if I went up to 3/4 throttle pretty quick so Sunday I headed off to the local flying field. The wind was coming from the North and our runway is East to West so I tried to takeoff accross the runway into the wind. I managed to get airborne right at the edge of the concrete. There is a farmers field that borders the runway and he bad built up an irrigation ditch for his crop. Well, needless to say, my gear didn't quite clear the dirt mound. It tore the left gear out of the wing and caused Lisa to nose into his crop. I then removed the right gear taped up the wing and had her back in the air in less than 5 min. Got two great flights that day. My last one included a 3 min dog fight with a gas powerd Sky Raider. Lisa was able to stay on its tail until after a couple close calls I decided to knock it off any let the Sky Raider go. You know, I have added a lot of weight to Lisa with the electrical tape, paint, landing gear supports, tail wheel, foam nose, gorrilla glue and 5 min epoxy but every time I launch her it seems like she has more and more power. I didn't do the motor break in when I got her but now after it is getting broken in I believe this is probably why so many people have problems on there initial launches. I didn't give her much of a toss at all on my last flight. The wind was probable between 1-5mph with a few slightly higher gust. I just knew when she left my had the my toss was bad but she didn't even dip. Even without the gear, I'm in love all over again. I watched four gas powered planes do dead stick landings and a nice .60 corsair tip stall on landing and rip off a retract. It was nice to be able to fly as long and even keep up in a dog fight and not have to do all the maintence and cleanup involved with the nitro plances. Had several of the gas guys come over to me after the dogfight and ask about the plane. It was kinda cool to see the suprise when I told them it was a PZ RTF bird
I never did get the silver/chrome paint to dry but she looked good in the air. (Good from far but far from good paint job).

Happy Easter,
Ash

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29423.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	912654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34416.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	912655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90542.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	912656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67885.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	912657  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
The_Mongrel

Hey Ash,

My only concern would be the stress placed on the wings if you come in to hard. I have to say too that I like the look of my franky in the air without gear.

Well done mate... sounds like you had a ball!!

Cheers
-J
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
LICobra

I just read a thread on here "everything you wanted to know about electric flight"....there's alot to know about electic motors, batteries...now im really confused.

My new motor 2700kv calls for Continuous Current:34A and a Max burst of 42a. My ESC is a 45a so that should be OK, my battery is a parkzone 2200mah rated at Maximum Continuous Current :27 amps... Does the battery amps have to be more then the amps the motor will draw ???

I don't think a larger battery will fit in Frankie's compartment !!

LICobra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.