Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Airchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Just for your info, on my landings i give it half throttle and fly way out and cicle around and once i get on final i cut the throttle all the way back and slowely glide down to within 3 ft of the ground. I then keep pulling back on the stick and very slowly desend to ground level. It will usely float at 3 ft for 5-10 secs. I try to touch the ground right after i have full back stick(BTW i use low rates). I usely have to add a bit of power, usely at 3 ft, to land the plane close to me. Experence will make you good at knowing what the planes speed is/how far it will glide.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: captainbsb

Experence will make you good at knowing what the planes speed is/how far it will glide.
I agree. Each circumstance is a little different, with different wind and battery reserve left over each time.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:52 PM
PMDrive1061

Re Grounded's batteries: Two batteries for about $15 sounds pretty good to me. I'll take 'em off your hands if you don't want them.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hey Lucky, you're welcome to them, i'd rather somebody use them as i don't want them. pm me with your address and i'll pop them in the post. i'll let you know the shipping as they're quite heavy. no connectors though as i put deans on them and took them off because i'm tight !! they're both nearly new, but i noticed one is not as powerful as the other. anyway, let me know. cheers
Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM
PMDrive1061

Thanks, pal. One PM with my info on its way.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
The Rook

Can I use the electrical setup from the plane...just pull the motor from the housing and submerge it while it is still connected to the speed controller?
Has anyone noticed a significant power increase by this break in process?
J
Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
The Rook

Sorry, that last post was for captainbsb regarding the water motor break in
Old 10-21-2005, 06:09 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Rook,
I'll jump in. You could, but the esc might overheat.
Just use a couple of "D" cell flashlight batteries to run it.
And yes you will see an improvement. WBI helps brushes fully seat, so more contact = more power getting to the motor and less sparking from the brushes.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
1LO64

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I need the charger that comes with the the P-51. I know that many of you moved to lipos or use a better charger to charge your batts. If so, can/will you please sell me your stock P-51 charger?

Thanks,
James
Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Airchief

I could sell you one for $25 (shipping included) You would have to use paypal. I have only used it 3 times and it works fine as long as i know. I could sell you the stock batt (only used 3 times) and the charger for $45. (Shipping included)

Let me know if you want it.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:26 PM
lawn jockey
My Feedback: (1)

How do i fix a striped motor gear? I'm sure theres something on here about it but there is alot of stuff to read through so I thought I would just ask.Thanks you guys,I need to get her back in the air.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 PM
The Rook

Mine stripped and I used the red Loctite brand threadlocker. There are two types: the red and the blue. The red is what you want. It works great and the pinion gear definitely won't slip after that.

Glacier and captain, I broke in a new motor tonight- thanks for all the advice!
J
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 AM
The Rook

Hey everyone,
I need to balance my stang because I put some foam in the nose. I read that the center of gravity is 70mm from the leading edge, but from what point do you measure? Right against the fuse? further down the edge of the wing? Any help would be appreciated!
J
Old 10-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Airchief

You measure right agaisnt the fuse on the top of the wing and then turn the plane upside down and see if it balaces.

This is my new username. My old one was captainbsb.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I bought my first stang and sat.thought I would go fly it..one of the club members launched it and it seemed fine but noticed the battery dangling so brought it in no problem.. the hatch was gone..I should have taped it sun but wrapped a tight rubber band instead.I launched it myself but it skidded in the ground..was quite suprised that it struggled..but I tried again and got it up no problem .flew around a minute did a victory roll at the top I had some problems..I still feel like it was a glitch but at any rate whensh...happens it happens.so I tried bringing it back around to land but it never made it.it spiraled in and I was so disappointed.after a good season of flying gas and glow this had to happen..I lost my battery and did a number on my nose.I am suspicious that the battery fell out and with no power before I realized all that likely stalled it into a spin..

not sure what to do now.so discouraged! I could buy a replacement fuse and re build with the electronics on the old one.but am thinking maybe install a brushless motor .but I need a new battery a new cowl prop etc..when you buy a new fuse with all the electronics installed I presume I have to transfer the motor.??

I think my next electric if I do it will be one where I install servos a rx and esc.and brushless motor.then if it crashes I just pull it all and go the next.repairing this seems like alot of work ..I realize it was my own stupidity that likely killed it..I hate giving up on it before I even decide how good it is..
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Libertarian

I feel like a 5" strip of silver duct tape (matches the plane's color perfectly) would work better than the average rubber band. Problem is when the battery falls out once it tends to deform the tiny female plugs that are inside the male Tamiya battery plug. You can use a small toothpick or large safety pin to reform them but if you don't the battery won't charge well and the battery can lose a good connection with the ESC and the plane can lose power totally. [X(] This may be what you experienced. I'd be happy to give you a slightly crunched fuse or 3 (I have 3) but urge you not to give up on the plane. It's a blast to fly once you get the hang of it and do a small amount of bulletproofing. Send me a PM if you want one or all and I'll send them to you for the postage rate. Seems like the fuse (with electrics) comes with a motor installed ($58 at Redrockethobbies.com). Talk to Matt there with any questions. They're great folks with good advice.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:21 AM
HockeyMac

aight ive had my stang for a couple months now and just maidened it yesterday. i was really pleased to get this one up and flying, had some abx landing gear on it, and the take offs were awesome (landings not as good). this is my second true plane as my first was the nexstar which i love. so when i was making a basic rectangle the p-51 seemed very unstable, i always had to constantly be correcting it, and the landings were difficult probably because of the slow speed and not much wing-span unlike the nexstar. i was wondering if this is typical or whether if im just use to the nexstar's stability?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Glacier Girl

You're right about the speed and wing area contributing to the poor handling.
Low wing war birds need to fly fast, due to small wing area, so trying to fly slow will make her very unstable. Also incorrect CG (tail heavy) will make them squirrley.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

and thats why I am thinking a lipo is going to ultimately be better .first lighter is always better and second speed on the mustang is essential for better control and stability.this aint no piper cub lol..but I love warbirds ..has anyone converted to a brushless outrunner ..
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
falcon finder

I was looking for the same info on brushless motor upgrade for the P-51 as dbateman. I have a stryker and put a mega 16/15/4 with 3 and 4 cell li-po 35 amp speed control and it is a rocket. Would like to do the same to the P-51 and just build my own. Any input. THanks

Falcon Finder[8D]
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan

i've put a warp 4 turn, which is the equivalent of a mega 16/15/4 in the gearbox and it flys ok now, not fast, but i was having problems with the stock motor and batteries on take off. also using a dyamond 12c 1800 3 cell lipo and a 25 amp phoenix and hitec hs 81 servos. still managed to spin it, luckily into some long grass so it was ok. only one flight so far in this configuration. oh yeah, prop is apc 10x10
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Glacier Girl

On mine I went with a Mega 16/15/6, spinning through the gear box. Running a 10x8 4 blade prop. Does just fine.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
HockeyMac

okay i will try to balance out the cg, not sure exactly where to look for it, i fly only with the lipos mainly cause im probably scared to fly it with the stock as ive had some bad stuff happenin to it, got a new one from the dealer where i live and only used the lipos. fly at 100% for take offs and then back down to 50% throttle and seems alright maybe should bump it up to 75% to get it more stable. if anybody knows where the cg is on the 51 could you let me know? is it better to have it a little bit more nose heavy?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Airbourne in Japan

you can find the c of g by putting in a stock battery and balancing it with that in. then try with the lipo. i used a dyamond 3 cell 1800 mah and had to add 2 oz of lead to the nose, but it flys ok
Old 10-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Glacier Girl

70mm from the leading edge of the wing, measured right up against the fuselage, worked for me.
If the CG is too far back it will be hard to control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.