Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 Stryker/Mustang P51D Dogfights?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 Stryker/Mustang P51D Dogfights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F27 Stryker/Mustang P51D Dogfights?

Just curious if anybody has put these two birds up against each other with combat modules and which one has the advantage? I just bought an F27 so I'm somewhat biased, but on the other hand I love WWII fighters and would have to cheer for the Mustang.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
dribbe

Default RE: F27 Stryker/Mustang P51D Dogfights?

I can't wait to see what you guys think.... I may choose the Mustang... the large geared prop has a LOT of pull once the speed and altitued decays... ala WW1

David
Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Co Fly

I flew with a friend he was flying a F-27 and I was flying my P-51. I didn't have my module hooked up yet, but heres my take. The P-51 is at least a half again as fast as a F-27 at level flight and in a dive. The F-27 is way more manoverable, like tones,And from my experience flying at almost 8000 is it climbes faster than the P-51. I was supprised by this. All in all the P-51 will need to use it's speed and the F-27 it's agility to get and defend shots. Friday a friend and I are going to dog it out with anything with an x-port, should be a blast.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 AM
critterhunter

That is such a cool distributation of strengths....speed and power versus agility! I'm surprised the Mustang doesn't climb as fast yet is faster. They both use 480 motors, don't they? I know the Mustang's is geared and I hear this in combination with it's prop gives it good power (read good ability to recover from a stall or such). I would guess the climb rate is a bit slower due to it being a heavier bird? I would also hope that with proper training and control surface adjustments the Mustang could close in on the advantage the F27 has in agility. Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put my money on the P51. What chance will the Stryker get to get behind the P51? Anytime the Stryker even looks as if it's getting behind the P51, it could just throttle away.

It would be interesting to watch, though.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Zero45

My brother's stock P-51 eats my stock Skryker up. My modified Strykers eats his stock P-51 up. It really depends on the pilot and his skills. My youngest brother is the better pilot of all my other brothers. He can usually do some really cool things with any kind of plane. He's really hard to get behind and track to get a good shot on him, but I'm closing in on his skills fast. I'm learning maneuvers to counter some of his. We all started flying Firebird Cammaders with the moduels, it was a blast and still is. I've flown my Commander for close to an hour on one pack. The thermals are awsome where we live.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Zarphress

I purchased the F-27 Stryker last season and have recorded 50 flights on it with zero crashes. It is an awesome plane with great manuverability but I could not wait to get the Parkzone P51D. When I received it and flew it for the first time.. I was EXTREMELY disappointed !!! This thing is a slow un-manuverable tank and looks to me to do half the speed of the F-27 Stryker. I have always wanted a war bird but I think Parkzones P51D is NOT worth the money at all...infact I am going to purchase Hobby Lobby's P51 and sell the Hobby Zones P51. So please SAVE YOUR MONEY.... DO NOT BUY PARKZONE'S P51D !!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:25 PM
NoMoreCrashPlease
My Feedback: (-1)

Zarphress....

What battery did you use in your stryker?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
MR TBONE

I got a Stock stryker, and 2 PZ P-51d, which I have run the stock 9cell nimh and the TP 2100mah 11.1v lipo in. The stock stryker is quite a bit more manuverable and faster than the P-51d, although the P-51d climbs much better. With the lipo, the p-51d is about equal in straight away speed, but I think the stryker is a bit more 'tossable', and definetly more durable in those unscheduled landings. For dog fighting, I think both are fun, but the tighting turning of the stryker would give it a distinct advantage.
Of course all in all, it's the pilot that makes the difference.
Both are really good planes for an experienced flier or a newbie that has some help. The P-51d is like a new plane with the lipos, and the new stock controller has the proper voltage cutoff. I took the 9 cell and now run it in the stryker for a impressive boost in climbing power. For 27 bucks, you can buy the P-51d controller/esc and stick it in the stryker so you can run 3cell lipos in it too, which works well (that's what I did). The stock motor doesn't seem to have any problems with the extra current.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... Co Fly says the stock P51 is faster than the stock stryker, Mr. Tbone says the Stryker is faster???

[sm=confused.gif]

Old 06-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Co Fly

Lets see here, in my experience diving or in level flight the P-51 is twice as fast. How could the stryker be faster with a direct drive prop? The P-51 is heavier and geared, until you fly them side by side the stryker seems as fast but in a drag race it gets flat out whooped.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hey fella's i just set up a 3 cell lipo for my stryker and was'nt even thinking about cutoff's etc.It's good to hear the motor and electronics can handle it .I don;t want to change anything on the plane as i have 3 nimah packs i still intend to use with it i just want the lipo for an occasional thrill.I guess i will have to listen very closely for speed change and then go ahead and land so as not to damage lipo.Any other suggestions.BTW i use a 3150 mah. s3 pack in my ikarus eco 8 and LOVE it.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Fly-n-3D

I like the P-51 a lot, but from what I am hearing the F27 is better. All of you people with stock P-51 upgrade it to a brushless.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Zero45

Yeah, both the planes really need brushless motors in them to get them to do the things you want them to do. You have to get a lot of altitude with both of the stock planes in order to gain enough speed to get the stocks to fly well.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 PM
p00rboi
My Feedback: (1)

I watched the above described dogfight toady and although I own the park zone p-51d I have to admit that the f-27 stryker is faster and much more maneuverable. Both aircraft were in stock mode (ie. batteries, motors,etc.). The respective manuals state that the p51 will travel at 40mph and the f-27 at 50mph. The f-27 is a much simpler design and can fly much slower than the p-51 which helps when landing and when !QUOT!shot!QUOT! at low altitudes. The p-51 has a tendency to tip stall with any aileron input at slow speeds. I'll compare them to women; the p-51 looks great static and at flight, much better that the f-27, but that beauty comes at a price. The p-51 is very high maintenance. You will buy replacement parts. A replacement wing will cost $38. On the other hand a replacement f-27 body (read wing and fuselage) will cost $19. Learn from my mistake; if you want to dogfight get the f-27; if you want a flying model get the p-51. I'm in the process now of taking the electronics from my p-51 along with $50 worth f-27 replacement parts to have a f-27 to dogfight with my friends. When I see fit I'll either switch the electronics back over and purchase the replacement parts for my p-51 or just add $47 in addition to the replacement part cost and have two flight-worthy aircraft.