Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

help with brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
ictbu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brushless motor

I have a dumb question. I'm new with electrics. I have an electric plane that I'm about finished with but I'm stumped about something. The ESC and the brushless motor have 3 wires instead of 2. The wires coming from my ESC are red, black and orange and all 3 wires coming from the motor are all black. How does that work?? I need to hook up the polarity backward so that the motor pushes instead of pulls for this plane too. Can of you experienced guys help? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Darin
Old 08-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Woody 51

Default RE: help with brushless motor

Brushless Electric motors are minature 3 phase motors. It does not matter which of the 3 wires from the ESC connnects to which of the 3 on the motor.

Follow the instructions with your ESC about initial programming and then switch your Tx on with the throttle stick IN THE POSITION THAT IS STATED IN THE ESC PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS. (READ THEM THROUGH THROUGHLY.)

The stick position for initial switch on will be either full "on" or full "off."

But before you do any of this, remove the prop from the motor (for safetyreasons) before you start to program the ESC.

Once you have programmed in the type of battery pack you have (NiCD, NiMH or LiPO) and if a LiPO, the number of cells in the pack (assuming the ESC is not auto detect for cell count) and whether you want Brake"On" (for gliders) or "Off" (for everything else) and timing ("HARD" for Outrunners, "Moderate" and "Soft" for Inrunners, depending on the number of "turns" the motor is, check the motor instructions, the information will be in there somewhere ) then throttle up.

If the motor spins in the correct direction, then program your control throws, fit the prop and go fly.

If the motor turns the wrong way, then disconnect the battery from the ESC and then disconnect any 2 of the motor/ESC wires and swap them over, then try powering up again.

If this does not work, then go the the SERVO REVERSE function in your Tx and reverse the servo function in there as you would with a glow powered model.

On occason, neither will work and you will have to fly with the Throttle stick in reverse.

In 99.5% of cases, either switching 2 of the wires or reversing the servo in the TX settings will work, but I have personally experienced the .5% case and had to fly with the throttle stick in reverse. ("Up for low and "Down" for high.)

Don't let this latter fact worry you, it is rare and even the manufacturer of the ESC (well known, but I will not give the name) could not give me an answer as to "why?"

I have several ESC's of the same brand and it is only one that gives me this problem.
But it works and I have got used to it.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 AM
uncle_rc

I have an ultrafly brushless motor with a JR reciever and a futuba transmitter. I think I've set the brake ON and want it turned OFF. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Turning the brake on or off is controlled by the Esc. Look at your directions that came with it. Will tell you how to turn it on or off.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 PM
RAY PHPRC
My Feedback: (8)

Uncle, What brand and amp rating of speed control are you running?