Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 AM
texascub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shun Da Piper Cub J3

Wow !
Its a long time ago that anyone wrote something in here.....[8D]
Maybe the Shun Da Piper J3 is not the plane to be bought right now. I know there are a lot of to choose from
The biggest point is the underpowered original motor.....so lots of You guys buying modells with brushless engines. Shun Da should offer the J3 with a brushless too. That would be nice

So Long
Old 10-05-2008, 11:51 AM
vega2614

Yeah, it certainly has been a while since I've posted. The last time I flew was 2 weeks ago when I had a moderately bad crash. I was flying at a new field and looked down at my Tx and noticed the battery was down to 1 bar. I continued flying for a few more minutes, which was a bad idea. The plane suddenly nose-dived and wouldn't respond to elevator control. It smashed into the ground, about 10 feet from a giant puddle; I got pretty lucky. I haven't done any post-crash testing, like to see if it was a bad servo or something. The only damage I could see was one half of the wing broke off a bit from the fuselage.

Shun Da could easily throw in a brushless motor, but I think the heavy battery in there doesn't help either. They would charge a lot more for it too, even though brushless motors are pretty cheap (check out Hobby City).
Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
djcarld

I agree that Shun Da (Exceed RC) should put out a brushless version of the cub also. With winter around the corner, we tend to get more flying done before the weather gets too cold. I went to the field about 3 weeks ago with nothing to fly because I lost my beloved Air Boss in the wheat field next to us and the combine got it. I have been doing alot of heli flying lately, and I'm starting to do well on turns. I try to do some kind of practice every day. I was just given a Wattage Impress airframe to put electronics in, and also have a GP Fundango I think I'll get started on as well. 5 out of 6 of my helis are flyable, and now I need to get a plane or 2 flying before winter comes in. It's nice to see people still posting here and I like all the guys here even though I don't have a Cub anymore. I wouldn't mind getting the Herr Breezy Day Cub Kit to build since I liked the Air Boss so well.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
GreenAce92

Oh heli flying you say, a guy gave me a E-sky Belt CP was doing ok flying it, wasnt quite ready for forward flight so when i bumped it forward it shot across(this is a brushless lipo RTF 6ch 3D heli) i kinda got all scared and i set it down to hard, snapped the feathering shaft and lost a couple parts on the swashplate and rotor head assembly also bent the tail boom, oddly enough the blades are in fine condition(wooden training blades) i guess the training gear doesnt hold this bird too well. its a great helicopter, gyro and everything in it, belt driven tial pitch control its awesome... can do inverted flying and all that, gotta buy more parts though shes grounded for now, not bad for a first heli i guess.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
texascub

I hear heli flying............
I have my little picooZ funheli
I like to do my turns and up and downs with it in my living room, round the fan and lamps....

Thats a lot of fun during bad weather and in wintertime.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
vega2614

Yeah, heli flying is expensive and difficult. I still haven't fixed mine since it exploded.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
GreenAce92

Exploded? lol, well at least for a starter i got a lipo and bl heli, i think its a really nice heli, good for teh money.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
djcarld

I agree with GreenAce. I LOVE my Belt CP. That thing flies like a cadillac compared to my other helis !! GreenAce, just keep it at tail in hover until you're comfortable with it. Then work on nose in hover and side in hover. I'm working on my turns right now, but still tail in. The Belt CP is VERY responsive. If you push the cyclic too far forward, It'll launch forward like a rocket. I get too over corrective on the controls with it after flying my Walkera 36 which is a little more sluggish, but fun to fly. Then I have an AXE CP, which is pretty squirly on the tail. It calmed down a little since I burned out the 3in1 and am currently running separates with 2 brushed ESC's from Hobby City and an E-Sky gyro (Stock off my Belt CP) At least parts for the Belt CP are rather inexpensive.

Texascub. The Picoo Z (Havoc Heli) is a FUN heli to fly indoors. I have a hughes 300 knock-off I bought from a store at O'Hare International in Chicago last year, and it still flies well. I also have a Walkera 4#3 with the MIA G-10 frame upgrade, but I'm waiting for LiPos I bought off EBay for $11.00 for a pack of 5 before I can fly it.

Vega, How did your heli explode ?? Sounds like a possible boom strike in mid-air. I've seen videos of that happening.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Sailor Jerry
My Feedback: (2)

I picked one of these up on a whim at the local Harbor Freight. I flew it somewhat successfully at an open field near my house. It started to get away from me as I was correcting the trim (it pulled left consistently) and I over corrected. I yanked on the right rudder and it went into a spinning nose dive. The wings, tail feathers, and motor are salvagable; but the fuselage is completely trashed (I couldn't even find all the pieces). Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced fuselage for this thing? I've spent hours on Google and I've only found one source, but they list it as "out of stock".
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
texascub

Hi Jerry!

Look here:

http://www.raidentech.com/3j3picub3rca.html

If You need some spareparts[8D]

Or wait until they get some in stock again here:

http://www.egrandbuy.com/elarfj3picub.html

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
texascub

Hi Jerry!

I hope You found some spareparts. But sometimes its better to buy a complete new one especially when the main wings are damaged....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM
djcarld

Yeah, finding the parts for this plane can be kind of tough. Here's a video of my friend learning to fly. He tried to blame it on the plane, but I flew it just before to help show him stick movements. He didn't destroy it on this flight, but the one after wards he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGWG53kTqz4

I'm trying to talk him into building the Herr Breezy Day Cub to put all his electronics into. Here's a link to the plane.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...nuF.html?E+Sig

The plane calls for a 280 size brushed, but I was thinking of a TP 2408-21T, which I had in the Herr Air Boss and it had plenty of power !!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
texascub

Wow nice flight....except the landing.....
The cub went down into a cornfield and was crashed??

The Herr J3 looks good. Have You ever built one?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 AM
djcarld

No, he destroyed the cub on the flight afterwards. He crashed it in the pit area of our field. About 4ft from where my wife was sitting, and 3ft from a great planes reactor bipe !! I built the Herr Air Boss, which is one of the other breezy day planes from Herr Engineering, The build was great, and everything was laser cut and fit together great. I'm thinking of building one, but i have too many irons in the fire right now with my helis and building the GP Fundango.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
texascub

Merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year to all of You!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42461.gif
Views:	25
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1095293  
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
djcarld

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well !!!!! Got alot of cool flying stuff this year. One of the guys I fly with got me a AeroWorks SU-31 profile, and my Wife got me the stuff to get it flying !! Another friend got me a Slomax 300 motor and a GWS DD tail motor for my Walkera 4 heli, and another friend got me Superskids for the same heli. I'll surely have enough to fly come spring, but we've been still flying helis, since our runway has about 1 1/2 feet of snow on it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Normin

Hello all. I am new to the hobby, but have read most of the thread. I lost control and purchased an Exceed SD Cub. It is due to be delivered in a couple of days, so I am spending a LOT of time on my simulator doing ROG's and especially landings. I've got some questions which, if answered soon enough, might save me some time and frustration.

1- Can I upgrade the landing gear for the CUB?

2- I have heard that the flight simulator really helps, but what are the differences
between the SIM and the real thing?

3- What props, batteries and repair parts can I get at my LHS? I guess I am asking about
standard brands and items.

4- I am concerned about the CG. Is there room to move the battery forward as everyone
advises, or am I cutting foam?

Anything you can tell me helps.

I have really enjoyed reading the thread, almost feels like I know some of you. Great videos.

Thanks in advance.

Norm
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
djcarld

I'm sure you can do mods to the Cub.

1- I've seen PPL putting bigger wheels on the Cub and also landing gear from the ParkZone version of the Cub.

2- It depends on what flight sim you have. I use Aerofly Pro Deluxe, but they all teach one of the major factors of R/C flight and that's orientation !!

3- LHS usually don't carry repair parts for this plane, but there are sites on the internet that do carry the parts. Hobby City is a good site for buying LiPo batteries and brushless motors, should you want to upgrade your plane. The TowerPro 2409-12T is a good brushless upgrade for the Cub, and you can get it at www.hobbycity.com with a prop and brushless ESC for under $20.00 !!

4- I cut the windshield out of my Cub, and made the battery compartment in the front. I just had to open the windshield to change the battery. The COG should be around 1/3 of the chord of the wing along the fuselage from the leading edge.

Well Norm, I hope that helps some on your plane. Happy Flying !!!!!!!! Carl
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Normin

Thanks Carl. I can't wait to get started.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM
djcarld

No prob. Many of us has started with this plane, and it's not bad if setup correctly. At least you bought the Exceed RC version, which has the good TX with it and not the funky backwards one..LOL. Right now I'm putting together the Aeroworks profile SU-31 i got for Christmas. It's my 1st 3D capable airplane !!!! I can hardly wait to fly it !! Get your Cub going and lets see some videos !!! Good luck !!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
walkermsg

Common Sense Rc has great prices on Lipo's . I've be using their 8C budget jobs and run large planes on them. I just use shorter spurts of full throttle and keep the flight times down till I find how much time before they get warm. Some are about 1/2 price of Hobby City.
Jay
Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
twizzy

HELP!! HELP!!

how's everyone doing today? I have the exceed rc sdm piper cub j3 and as u may know..it doesnt fly out the box..
DO ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THE CG MOD WITH THE BATTERY IN THE NOSE AND THE FOAM CUT? THANX
WOULD BE NICE TO LOOK AT!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
crvarvaro

Haven't seen any posts to this thread for a while. Looks like it has covered a lot of planes and even some helicopters. There are a huge number of rc Cubs listed on this site and even some reviews and comments on how they fly: [link]http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Piper-J-3-Cub.php[/link]
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 AM
texascub

Hi guys!

Just took a look in here. I think the Shun Da Piper Cub J3 is no longer available as it was 6 years ago. Even beginner RC planes have now lipos and a brushless motor. So lots of all the modifications that were discussed in here is just for those who still have the good old Piper somewhere in the garage...
Is anyone still flying one of those?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
rbsmith6

I'm looking at 3 Piper J3's one from Bannana Hobby http://www.bananahobby.com/2063.html. one from Hobby King. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16551. one from Exceed. http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a703-j3...ProductReviews. does anyone know about these are they different, which might be better