Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Servos?

Old 01-16-2002, 10:55 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos?

Ok, what is the top of the line servo with a weight in the range of .35 oz? Cost? And from where? I need about a dozen of them for several planes. If'n we were talking Giant Scale here, I already know what I would buy. But, I want several littler ones for the front yard or my buddies hayfield down the road. I am building the GP electric Slow Poke or whatever it is called and a pair of Mini Lasers. Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-17-2002, 07:28 AM
HitecRedneck

Default servos

I've been using the CS-10 with good sucess.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:19 AM
Lorance66-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Servos?

the Hitec HS-55 is the lightest servo I could find when I was building my Great Planes Lil Poke. I didn't care for the way it flew, but that is another story. I think the HS-55 weighs 1/4 oz. Im not sure, but it is the choice I made. Im not sure if Id use it for the 3D though.....get other opinions on that first. They do a good job for small parkflyers, after I dumped the Lil Poke, I put mine into a GWS Tiger Moth.....do the job great with little weight.

Brad Lorance
Harrisburg, PA
Old 01-18-2002, 01:25 AM
RCPilot100

Default Lil Poke

Brad,

What were your gripes with the Lil Poke? I got a kit this weekend for $20.00. Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-18-2002, 01:54 AM
Lorance66-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Servos?

Here's pretty much the whole thing. As far as the building of the kit goes, that went very well and it builds very easy. I covered mine in Monokote which I know is a "little" heavier than the recommended Cover-Lite but I am no builder and I don't want to be messing with stuff like Balsa-Rite....I don't know anything about it.....nevertheless, it still came out at about 1 lb. or so, even with a battery pack in it so I really don't think the covering was an issue.
Tower recommends a 280 motor geared at 4.1:1 which is what I used. I also used the recommended speed control (they say use a C-5 but they were out so I got a C-10) by Great Planes, and the Great Planes Electrifly 8.4V 7 cell AAA battery pack which is Ni-MH (lightweight I must say). This thing was simply a pig. It wouldn't climb well at all and by the time it got up to maybe 40ft or so, the battery voltage drops enough to drop the power even more. Less than full-throttle was never an option. I flew it in my backyard a time or two and smashed it into the wall a time or two (tight quarters in my backyard due to trees) trying to gain alt enough to clear the trees and fly with no "pucker factor".....I thought why not try other stuff. So I bought a speed 400 motor. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention it was about 2 oz tailheavy to begin with....anyways, the 400 gave me enough weight to peel off 1 1/2oz of tape on weight I had in the nose. I used a direct drive prop instead of the gearbox since making a larger gearbox fit would now be too much of a pain. The Speed 400 put out many more RPM's with a 6x4 prop but about the same thrust and equal performance to the geared 280. So, after hitting the side of the house again, I tore some covering and this time I thought "Hey, Ill recover the wing and remove the polyhedral".....bad idea. I rebuilt the wing flat and that was NOT good. This time I had put in a VERY heavy 9.6V AA Nicad battery in it and up until I tried to turn, it was actually climbing! But, upon turning, it flipped over and couldn't right itself....that much was MY fault.
I think my suggestion to you would be this......Build it as light as possible. Maybe get a 20A speed controller and use an 8 cell pack. My next experiment was to put the 280 with gearbox back in it and solder in an extra cell to my existing battery packs so I could still have the lightweight NiMH's and get 9.6V too.
Actually, it flew nice once it was up to altitude, but still had to have full throttle to go........do all you can to keep weight out of that tail btw.

Brad Lorance
Old 01-18-2002, 11:12 PM
RCPilot100

Default Lil Poke

Thanks for the info Brad. I plane on covering with Micafilm which is really lightweight. Balsarite is needed - it isn't that hard - give it a try sometime. The fabric type coverings are much easier to get on that the plactics. While I have built and flown for years, this is my first electric - but I have a buddy that I fly with that is big into electrics - so I am sure to get any help I need on the powerplant. Thanks again.

Dan
Old 01-28-2002, 10:54 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Servos?

Try Nelson Hobby Specialties LiteFILM, it is just as light as Mica Film. It doesn't need balsa rite, and it shrinks much better. Call up Jerry over at Nelson and he can tell you all about it.

1-877-263-5766

As for the HS-55's not being strong enough for the laser 3D, they are plenty strong. I use 3 of them in my Hobby Lobby Champion no problem, (I have a hopped up motor too) I've seen HS-55s being used in F5B planes, so strength is not an issue.

--Paul