Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

$99 radios?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 AM
medcinmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $99 radios?

I see both JR and Futaba are advertising 4 channel aircraft radios at $99.00. Are these any good? The only difference I can see between the two are the Futaba comes with rechargeable batts and a charger, whereas the JR does not.

Thanks for the help,

Aaron
Old 01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
wetzelpretzel425

Default RE: $99 radios?

could u give me a link to the pictures of the 99 dollar radios

thanx

-brandon
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

TO EACH THEIR OWN:

I date back to the old reed and escapement days when your radio was as reliable as the rubber band powering it. For the pits! If you were going into power boats, I would not recommend it, for gliders, not recommended, for 3-D, heck no. If its all you can come up with for now, ok a matter of finances, slightly better than nothing. Think you are better off looking around the club and waiting for someone to get rid of a older 6 channel computer radio. I have two, paid $25. and $35. for each. One a trainer master, the other on my aero-pro computer. In general the no bells radio does not leave you anywhere to go, no reversing (ok for me, been there), no dual rates, above all, no expo. If I were to get rid of every plane on the ceiling that does not have all of these features, and more programed into it, the ceiling would be bare. Could I live without them, sure, buy why oh why? Am I too slow on the sticks, don't think so. No one will fly my stuff because (its toooo senstitive) Whimps! There are a number of older but rock solid systems out there that can be had for under $100.00. The Fatuba super 7 and 9 channel radios comes to mind. Most club members will not try to take advantage of a newby to off some junk. If you have one of these, plant him down a 16" well about 150'. ENJOY
Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 PM
hallsj

I started off with a JR quattro and it was fine for entry level. Just bear in mind that you will outgrow them in a reasonably short time. They work fine most parkflyers, but at some point you will want something with expo/Dual Rates/etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Bevo

I'd buy the Futaba just because I comes with the rechargeable transmitter battery and charger. If you want to upgrade the JR it will cost an additional $55.00 or so.

Bevo
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
medcinmn

ORIGINAL: wetzelpretzel425

could u give me a link to the pictures of the 99 dollar radios

thanx

-brandon
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAE8**&P=0
Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Aron, There are much beter deals to be had. I've been flying park flyers for about 9 month but right from the start I decided to go with a Hobby class raido w/ Mode II stick layout.

I oppted for Hitec, the I bought a laser 4 which is a standard entry lever 4 channel radio. I spent under $60.00 got battery, charger and 2 year warrenty.

My dad bought a Hitec Flash5 computer radio and then we traded. It cost about $85.oo

I like the Hitec Flash5. It is a entry level Computer radio and stores the settings in memory for 5 different airplanes. I has Features like end point adjustment, dual rates, aileron to rudder mixing and others....

The point of this is. Last week I won on ebay a flash 4 and a flash 5 and each included a battery and charger. (Either would server you well) Two different auction with $20.00 of shipping included I spent a total of $84.00
Old 01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Get Real

if you really enjoy the electric parkflyers invest in a good radio that you wont outgrow.. been there done that.. ive taken to flight a little more than i thought i would and this is my newest and probally last radio for a while http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SPM2460 it has all the bells and whistles. it has programming to fly electric helis which is a big plus for me. it comes with rechargable battery for tx and 4 good servos for most popular size electric planes and helis. its twice as much but others usually only come with two servos.. so tack on between $35 to $50 for two more servos and it isnt that much more expensive. its better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.. also if you fly at a regular field no worries about getting shot down or waiting for freq.. that in itself should be worth the price. ive only had it a short time but it felt really crisp flying with it. BTW i also have a $99.00 jr sport radio.. nice feel and works well but is limited as you progress without dual rates.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 PM
flyingace451

I just recently bought the Hitec Laser 4 radio. Around 100 bucks and it came with the reciever I needed and crystals.

I think that it is fine, I only own 2 models now, both RTF and I'm now investing in my first ARF taht I will use the radio for.

With me being 15 years old, I don't think I'll outgrow mine too soon because of $$$. As long as I can fly my Stock and soon to be Upgraded ARF Stryker, I'm fine. When I get the $$$ I'll go brushless, then start investing in new planes.