Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sky Scooter Pro II

Old 12-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Scooter Pro II

I just got my sky scooter for christmas,early. It flys great. The first day I had it at the field I put many flights on it. Ive ony done a few stupid things to damage it, but i repair it, and it flies better . It dosent have the best glidepath but the trust of the motor is high. It can pull out of a stall. I have maybe about 15-20 flights on it and Ive owned it 4 days. I bought a 2nd plane with the motor. The 2 planes cost just under $250. a god price for a plane and a spare.
It is true, the plane is ready to fly out of the box in 30 minutes, if you have 8 AA for the trans. I flew mine just at dark the first flight.
have any questions--Ill try to answer
Id say this is a perfect plane to fly in a fairly small area, though it does indeed go quite fast for its size and dosnt lose it fast, or glide worth a darn unless in a thermal or a head wind, had mine hovering---AND THE ENGINE WASNT RUNNING.!!!
Im pleased with my Sky Scooter Pro II
I noticed that the engine was getting hot, through the foam, you could feel it. Since it had a hole on one side showing the motor backend, I cut out the other side and made a se through hole in it. I put on a intake and a exhaust for the air and since then , the engine stays fairly cool. After a long flight I blew threw it and felt the air go through it, the air exiting was warmer then the entering air. I guess this idea works.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:21 AM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Do you think the Scooter 2 could be flown safely in a baseball feild?Will it do loops or rolls?I've been thinking about one since the first generation,but never got one,now I'm thinking this one might just be it.Thanks,
Mike.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:43 AM
Dago Red

You can safley fly it in a baseball field. I fly mine in the backyard--with trees all over- but we cut some down to make a flying area.about a 2 acre long area. once i get above the trees its better.
Can it do a loop , yes. They say you have to do a dive, no you dont. just make sure you have altitude.
Can it do a roll , yes. this you do need a slight dive for speed. make sure to use lots of elevator while inverted, and use lots of altitude. I do rolls at the field, not at home, rather stay out of the trees.
In all---go for the sky scooter--The geared motor and folding prop are a good improvement on it.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:44 AM
Dago Red

my sky scooter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40367_12852.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	25118  
Old 12-11-2002, 03:45 AM
Dago Red

nother

Name:	40369_12852.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25119  
Old 12-11-2002, 03:46 AM
Dago Red

heres the mod I made to it. Like i said, it seems to keep the engine cooler ---the foam around it dosnt get near as hot. anyone--you should try it.

Name:	40371_12852.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	25120  
Old 12-14-2002, 04:58 PM
walterab

Look out.... I am yet another newbie. I have nothing yet, no plane , radio, etc etc etc..... I only have a desire to learn. I have NO experience... none.... zero. I really like what I have read about the Sky Scooter. I do not like the idea of buying the plane with the radio etc since it seems they only come with 2 channel radios. I would prefer a 4 channel hitec so I won't have to buy another radio anytime too soon. The standard Sky Scooter seems better for starting out and I guess you can then turn it into the Pro II with upgrades..... right? After 34 yrs of marriage , my wife really wants me out of the house so any help you can give me we would BOTH appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:32 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

walterab- where in Nor Cal are you? If you are near Redding, I would be happy to give you some stick time.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:37 PM
walterab

Mike.... hey neighbor (almost) thanks for the offer. I may just take you up on it some day. My parents live in Redding and we visit now and then. We are 3 hrs away up on the Klamath River in lil ol Happy Camp.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

OK. Hope you are enjoying this weather. I'll PM you with my info to keep on hand when you make it down here. BTW the skyscooter would make a good beginner plane. I had one and it was a blast.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Dago Red

I agree with Sawyer692, It is a great plane. The only differ between the standard and the pro II is more power, speed control, bigger battery,and a 3 channel radio. That is aileron and elevator,no rudder. I have thrown this plane into many stunts, yet, it can perform like a trainer.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:38 PM
jimx5000
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sky Scooter Pro II

Sky Scooter was my first plane too. I would recommend getting the Pro version though. The third channel makes the radio gear much more reusable. I have had mine in two other planes, and that's just with the two channel.

Flew it today, still flies good even with all the glue.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:52 PM
PHIL I.

Go to WWW.servocity.com and they have a good mod page for the SS 2 that does wonderes.....Do a costum search for skyscooter 2 posts...HAVE FUN!!!
[8D]
PHIL I.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:26 PM
red91sit

This are great planes much faster than what i expected. The glide is insane on these things! I was hovering down once also and i made the mistake of flaring :S up i went, stalled and crashed, but then again these things are almost indestructable if you have some glue.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

I've never flown R/C before and did quite a bit of comparing of electric trainers before settling on the Sky Scooter Pro II. My local Hobby Shop tried to talk me out of it - wanted to sell me an AeroBird. He told me they didn't sell the the Sky Scooter because they had a reputation for the wings ripping off in flight. After doing a bit of reading on this forum and elsewhere I really doubted this was true. I WAS a bit concerned by the fact that the Scooter is a bit more responsive than the Firebird series, and therefore more likely to get me into trouble. But, I figured that having a plane that can actually turn and dive/climb fairly quickly might be equally helpful for getting me out of trouble.

The package arrived from ServoCity yesterday. I knew the plane was 'foam', but upon opening the package and seeing all this styrofoam, I must admit I wasn't terribly impressed. One of the aileron hinges seemed to be coming loose and needed a quick treatment with the hot glue gun. I set out to adjust the clevis and get the control surfaces aligned. While doing this I noticed that the elevator seemed warped. The outer edges of the elevator weren't flush with the horizontal stabilizer. After scratching my head for a few minutes I had an idea. I warped the elevator the opposite direction slightly and stretched the tape across it. With a little adjustment on the tension of the tape I was able to get the elevator perfectly flat. I later discovered that the right wing was also warped, while the left side was much straighter. I used the same fix. While I was taping, I used some wide shipping tape on the leading edge of the wings, and span-wise across the underside of each wing - a tip I had read several places. I also taped up the nose with the wide tape.

It definitely wasn't a good day to learn to fly. I took the plane out around noon and there was a 8-10 mph wind that was sometimes gusting to 15mph. I trimmed the elevator up about 5 clicks and put in about 5 clicks of right trim. Hand launch into the stiff breeze and it was soon obvious that the wind was really tossing the plane around. Flying into the wind wasn't to bad, but as soon as I banked out of the wind, the breeze really took it. I ended up doing about 5 flights, each one ending in crashes of varying severity. I was having a very difficult time keeping the plane from being carried far downwind. It required some very steep banking which made it difficult to maintain altitude. During the fifth flight I decided to try to really get some altitude before banking out of the headwind. I though that might help... wrong. The wind was even stronger up there and the plane was carried far downwind before I could get it down.

Overall, I was surprised at the resiliency of the little foam plane. I hit two trees, and only one return to earth might be classified as a 'poor' landing - the others were definitely 'crashes'!

On the last tree encounter, I noticed that the motor glue joints got knocked loose. Time to head back home for repairs... The tape on the nose really seemed to be doing the job however - it was a little wrinkled, but nothing broke.
The horizontal stab kept slipping out of it's slot after each crash, and was starting to feel a little loose. I put a small bead of hot glue on the underside of the stab so that it wouldn't slip so easily.

I decided to wait until sunset to see if the wind would die down... and it did. Charged the battery and took it out again around 5pm. WOW - what a difference. I could actually control it now! I managed to fly a really big left circle about a half dozen times and even changed direction once and flew a tight right hand circle. I noticed the motor seemed to be slowing slightly and figured I'd better plan for a landing. I managed to bring the plane down about 20 feet away, and while certainly not a good flare, the high grass cushioned the landing and the plane had nothing shifted or dislodged. It would have been immediately ready for another flight if I had another charged battery... Certainly no big deal, but for a complete newbie, I felt pretty good.

The toughness of the little plane was amazing. I'm sure the shipping tape saved me from breaking off the the nose on one crash.
I think I picked the right plane as a trainer. I'm still struggling with the control reversal thing, but I found that it helps if you point he radio somewhat in the direction that the plane is flying in - seems to help alot.

I'm definitely going to have to get another battery. I'm tempted to get one of the RS 1600's but I know the motor will get hot quicker on the higher voltage. I'm a little worried that cutting ventilation holes in the nose will weaken it. Maybe I should stick with 8.4v batteries until I'm not crashing anymore? I can still use the stock timer/charger with another 8.4 volt battery also.

Does the Scooter fly a lot faster with the 9.6 v battery? I'm not sure I want more speed at this time. The stock ESC seems pretty useless. The lower settings just make the motor run rough and don't have enough thrust to keep the plane in the air. There are only about three clicks on the lower end where it does anything. For the most part, it's only seems useful as an ON/OFF switch.
Is it worth replacing the ESC on the Sky Scooter? What would be a good choice for a usable low-priced ESC?

Thanks!

-Greg
Old 11-05-2003, 03:05 PM
U2Steve

Greg: the RatShack 1600's are OK to use. Yes, things get hot, but do the hole-and-spoon thing and the heat won't get too bad. Just wait five minutes before flying again. All you need is a 1/2-inch hole in the nose over one of the motor's cooling holes. A hole that small won't weaken the nose. I've actually got scoops on both sides, and I've dorked the thing in nose-first twice without damage.

Steve

PS- the GWS IC400 (15 amps, I think) is a good, cheap, replacement ESC for the Scooter. My LHS has it for about $23.
PPS- The stock charger is junk. Replace it. You (and your batteries) will be happier in the long run. Maybe even by next week.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:04 PM
red91sit

definetly get the 1600 mah batteries at wot they do fly slightly faster but they can be slowed down to near stock speeds. Also they give great duration i've managed a 40min flight with mine in my goofy looking sky scooter. lol it's sooo beat up i'm surprised it still fly's soo well.

I don't think you really need a new esc it's really noisy and everything but if you remove the clicker deal in the transmitter it's remarkably linear in power increase/decrease. Definetly get a better charger before u buy a better esc imho.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Kamikazi

Default RE: <span class=

Well, I ended up ordering some other packs online. One pack is a 9.6 volt 600mAh, the other was a 8.4 volt 1100mAh. I'll probably get a 1600mAh pack eventually I suppose. I don't think I'm ready for 25 minute flights just yet

Ordered a CG-340 charger too. I didn't really want to spend any money on a new ESC anyway...

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: <span class=

The sky scooter was my first plane, and I still fly it quite often. (I've got a couple large glow models, and a couple more advanced electrics including a heli) Upgrades I've done included a micro rx and a better speed controller. The stock one is a frame rate controller (60 hz), which is horribly inefficient at less than full throttle. I run only the 1600/1650 8 cell AA packs, flys great on those! As of now I no longer have ANY foam around the motor, it was too mashed up to repair any more so I just chopped it all off, epoxied 3 carbon fiber tubes into the fuselage, and ziptied the motor onto those.

Another suggestion is to toss the stock charger. It is good for two things: 1) undercharging battery packs 2) cooking battery packs. It is just a timer on a voltage regulator, if your pack is fully discharged you won't get a full charge, and if you have a pack that has a fair amount of capacity left it will overcharge it for you.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 PM
PHIL I.

Default SERVO CITY--------

[&:]
Servo city has a mods page for the scooter. Highly recomended.
One of the things I found piddling around with the motor when it got HOT and melted the glue and got loose, was the motor was REVERSED timed for gear drive. The motor, with 2 AA batterys, would free rev higher the wrong way! It was set up for press on props! I advanced the timing 1/4 in. OR advanced so it reved as high for the gear drive, reversed, as hi as it used to do forward!
There are MANY posts on advancing the timing so good luck......
[8D]
PHIL I.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:39 PM
red91sit

Default RE: SERVO CITY--------

ORIGINAL: PHIL I.

[&:]
Servo city has a mods page for the scooter. Highly recomended.
One of the things I found piddling around with the motor when it got HOT and melted the glue and got loose, was the motor was REVERSED timed for gear drive. The motor, with 2 AA batterys, would free rev higher the wrong way! It was set up for press on props! I advanced the timing 1/4 in. OR advanced so it reved as high for the gear drive, reversed, as hi as it used to do forward!
There are MANY posts on advancing the timing so good luck......
[8D]
PHIL I.
Did u notice much of a differentce in performance with it advanced?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:42 PM
PHIL I.

Yes you can see & feel a differance. Its like going from a bushing motor to a ball bearing motor..
PHIL I.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Kamikazi

I was looking at my motor and it didn't appear that anything was adjustable [sm=confused.gif]
I thought the timing on these cheap can motors wasn't... Any hints?
Any idea how much the motor current went up - were the flights noticeably shorter?

Also, a previous message indicated that the stock SP1010 ESC was a frame rate controller running at 60Hz. I assumed that too, but I was looking at the description of the SP1010 on the servo city webpage and it claims that it operates at 3kHz... If this is correct, that would suggest that the SP1010 is not a frame rate controller. The HiTec site doesn't seem to say one way or the other.

Got some new batt packs today, but am still waiting on the CG-340 charger.
I did the ram air mod last night. Rather than cut another hole for the exhaust, I just tapered the back side of the motor mounting hole to allow the air to flow out the area where the motor wires are connected. Pic below...

Name:	Ca81621.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	73205   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45700.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	73206  
Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 PM
joe123

I want to get one of these airplanes. Just a quick question about the sky scooter Pro V2. I see that it has three channels, but i am not sure what they are. In looking at the remote, it doesnt look like you can control the speed. Can someone just tell me what the controls are, and where the throttle is on the remote. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Kamikazi

Joe,

The Hitec radio that comes with the Sky Scooter Pro II is the Focus 3 AM. This radio has the third channel for the speed control on the back of the radio, right behind the antenna. It's a stubby little lever control that you operate it with your forefinger. Ergonomically, it feels good to me. I only wish the SP-1010 speed control worked better... With the stock battery you'll probably want to run WOT all the time, but with a 9.6v battery I find myself wanting to throttle back sometimes. Doing so does not seem to extend the run times for me, so I just leave it wide open.
I cut the battery compartment through so that I could get a better left-right balance. The strong left pull it now greatly diminished. I now have the ailerons adjusted almost level and no right trim is needed - a big improvement over the way it came. The plane seems to fly better and is more stable now that the ailerons aren't dragging all the time. I might be getting the hang of it now too
I downloaded the SSP2 FMS model and have been practicing - it has helped alot... I should have practiced with this before I ever tried to fly the real plane! I think I've found, broken, and taped all of the weak spots on the plane now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.