Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

just got my F-27 stryker but got servo probs already?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

just got my F-27 stryker but got servo probs already?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:52 PM
FYREANT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my F-27 stryker but got servo probs already?

ok so i got my f-27 stryker today.. opened it up put the nose on.. installed the fins and skid fin.. charged the battery fully... checked motor operation.. all seemed good until i checked to servo operation.. they both "work" but sometimes when i am not touching the controls one or the other is twitchy... and also the servo arms dont look like the are equally aligned... with no stick at all the right one is dead center.. and the left one is pointing toward the front of the plane by about 15 degrees.. also the controls dont seem to respond as i'd expected them to.. what i mean is when i move the stick all the way to the left, the left elevon goes up and the right down... and if i keep it hard left and go either up or down i get a very small response.. what do i do... are my servos dying??
Old 04-22-2006, 12:53 AM
maiden-crash

Default RE: just got my F-27 stryker but got servo probs already?

It sounds like the reciever is a bit faulty. No need to worry about that now but you may consider replacing the rx in the near future. About the low response problems, thats also nothing to worry about because thats just the way elevons operate. If you turn your stryker and aply elevator you will still get a good response.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 AM
FYREANT

ok... what about the left servo arm.... can i move the arm or something so its adjusted even?? how do i do it if i can?? how do i even get to the servo??
Old 04-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

FRYEANT,
If the servo arm moves it's full travel, without any binding, it's best to leave it alone. Other wise you will have to cut out the tape underneath the wing to access the servo, then pry out the servo to remove the retaining screw on the servo arm to readjust it.

I get the fireant name, lived in Ft Misery myself for 10 years. Don't miss them, the Gecko's, or the Palmetto bugs .
Where are you flying at?
I used to fly out on the Cape, off of Bayshore, when it was nothing but level lots, canals, and paved roads.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM
FYREANT

i fly right behind burger king on 41... right across from the edison mall... now given the fact that the servo arms are not even.. i can adjust that at the rear where it connects to the elevon.. however even though it can do its full travel the other servo cant go as far one way.. what i mean is if i take one of them all they way one way it will be pulling the other servo past its full travel.. it is this that i think is the reason that the servos are twitchy because they are in essence 'fighting each other'.. any thoughts on this??
Old 04-22-2006, 04:49 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

the trim on the tx is off readjust. left stick means the left elevon goes up rt stick rt elevongoes up
Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

try another field interference from wireless drive thru on 27 mhz
Old 04-22-2006, 06:19 PM
FYREANT

ok i dont know what you mean a field interference... im new a this.. all the controls are operating thier correct function.. left makes the left elevon go up and right go down and vice versa... is just the travel of the servo arms.. the only way to fix it is gonna be to take the servo out and adjust the arm..
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
FYREANT

ok update.. i pulled out the servo.. moved the arm over 1 tooth and now everything seems to line up.. only question i have now is when i push the controls and then release them back to nuetral should the servos IMMEDIATELY stop ALL movement or should they continue to move until there perfectly SET nuetral?? hope to take it out and maiden it soon.. i have pushrods set on the 2nd hole down in servo arms and 3 hold down in elevons... will this be good enough? too much?? thoughts and opinions??
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 PM
rahtware

The PZ radio equipment is POS and should be ripped out as soon as you can afford to replace it. After that comes a 3s liPo then a brushless and on and on and....

Usually what goes first is a servo as they are easy to strip, after that I've heard is some part of the Rx/ ESC...

Here is a good, but inexpensive system with 2 H-81 servos and elevon mixing for $113.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=HRC156725

Good luck
Old 04-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Glacier Girl

FYREANT,
When you release the sticks, the servos will travel back to the neutral position.

You have your control rod positions set for pretty extreme movements. If your Transmitter has a high and low rates setting, use low at first. The stock Stryker is fairly fast and until you get used to the speed, low rates will make it a little easier to learn on.
Also you will need a fairly hard throw to get it air borne, and don't forget to follow through on your toss, otherwise the prop can take a nasty bite out of you fingers.
If you run into any problems, come on over to the Stryker forum, and tell them I sent you.
Lot of good guys there, who know thier stuff.
The Stryker is a blast once you get it down, and soon will become a favorite bird.
Take a look at my gallery to see some of mine.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Glacier Girl

Opppps, almost forgot. The interference problem comes from the fact that the stock PZ equipment runs on 27 mgh. A lot of other things operate at near the same frequency. Like the drive through at BK. Some guy ordering a Whopper, could cause interference with your flying, and the results could be ugly. Your Stryker could end up out in the Caloosahatchee river.
It's best to go to a open area giving you lots of open ground.

Might want to check out the flying club down at Bonita Springs.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:22 AM
FYREANT

ya i was going to use low rate first to learn.. figured that would be best... what wind speed is ideal for a learner to go out in.. cuz i have go out with my cub on a 3MPH day and almost crashed it because i couldnt keep it in the air.. like there wasnt enough wind.... also love your planes... you must be into this hobby for thousand of bux!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Glacier Girl

About 10 mph max for starting out. After you get the hang of it, you can fly when there's more wind. If you can, try early morning, winds are usually at their lowest then.
I like you started out with the Cub, then moved on to the Stryker, ok moved on to a good 2 dozen or so of them. It does become an addiction real quick. And yes you can put a lot of money in them. The one black Stryker, "Slayer" has over $200.00 in paint alone, don't ask how much I have in the whole bird.[X(]
Best of luck, and don't give up. When it works, you can't beat the feeling.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 PM
FYREANT

so tonight i maidened my stryker right before sundown... winds were about 3 MPH with an occasional 7MPH or so gust. well.. i had the elevons on the 3 setting down and had it on low rate, set the trim to have a little bit of up.. for easy launching.. i must have TRIED to launch it 3-4 times before i finally got it to fly.. every time i tried to launch it in just didnt want to stay up.. just kinda went right down. i then threw it REALLY hard and and it banked hard left and i over corrected it and crashed it.. then i tried to launch it a few more times.. with failure.. decided to adjust my trim prior tp flight to correct it from going left all the time and also switched to high rate... then i threw again and got it up finally and flew it for about 30 seconds before it crashed into some small trees.. the whole time i was fighting it from wanting to pull left.. i think the right servo may be going out and thats why it want to go left.. like if the right servo doesnt have full travel but the left does.. then when i go to climb and the elevons go up one side may go up more cause a pull (to the left in my case) sound like the most likely cause?? smashed the plane a little.. small brached cut into the front of the wings but were clean cuts and only wen in about an inch to inch & a half.. kina just like sliced it.. no missing parts or chunks taken out or anything.. i made sure my CG was good before flying and water broke in the motor the night before also... what do you guys think may be wrong with the plane?? maybe a defective pilot?? lol
Old 04-26-2006, 05:10 AM
Hagar69

Fyreant,
3rd hole down on elevons gives a lot of throw! You should start with top hole and low rates. Also double check that the pushrods are in the same hole on both servo horns, I think they should be in the second or third hole from the end. Adjust the servo linkages so that both elevons are even with top surface of wings when trim is centered.

Then you can give it a little up-trim before launching. Launch with full throttle against the wind and be carefull not to over compensate if it banks too much.

Hagar
Old 04-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Glacier Girl

Ditto what Hagar said.
You have to throw it hard, and let it gain some speed, before doing anything. A pull to the left after launch is a stall, not enough air speed, and the prop torque is pulling it left.
Wanting to pull to the left in the air is an indication that the elevons(flaps) aren't equal in their settings. The one on the left side, looking at the bird from the rear is higher then the one on the right. This causes a turn to the left. Try this, unhook the clevis from the control horn on the elevon, unscrew it one turn. Try and fly it, if the left turn is less but still there, go another turn.
If it's close, use the trim slider control on your transmitter, push it a little to the right till it's flying straight. When you land you can see how the elevons need to be set to fly level. Manually adjust them then move the control slider back to center.
And yes you need to check that both elevons travel the same distance, up and down.
Stick with it, we'll get you going.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 AM
FYREANT

well i have the pushrod in the second hold down in the servo arms and the 3rd hole down in the elevons and on low rate because if i had it one the first elevon setting then it woulda crashed. on the first setting of the elevons it seems that the elevons have less travel the my trim adjustment! when i did get it up for the 30 or so seconds maybe even a minute i actually flew it.. it flew great.. great control.. and PLENTY of speed.. but was still pulling left.. i made sure that the elevons were level & my trim centered before i flew.. my cg was good also.. think im gonna take it to my LHS today and have them check the servos out and let them adjust it so i can see if theres anything im doing wrong... will report back when i get home for the LHS..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Glacier Girl

remember there are 2 things to check weight wise. one is CG, but you also need to check side to side. Try and balance it with one finger on the nose and one on the prop spinner. If one wing keeps droping, it's heavy on that side. This can also cause a turn to one side as the heavy wing will want to drop in flight.

ps. Remember that feeling when it worked, will make all the bad times disappear.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
FYREANT

ok just got home from the LHS... got a new prop as mine was starting to strip out.. found out that one of my servos was acting up a little and didnt give full throw ALL of the time... but the hobby guy adjust the elevons to have max throw and played with it for a while and got everything working great.. i did forget to check the left right wing balance.. i will do that also today.. sunday im gonna go out to the hayfield and a guy thats knows strykers pretty well is gonna help me out.. i might try to fly between now and then not sure yet.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Glacier Girl

Good to hear you're on your way. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
FYREANT

so i didnt get to fly today.. too much wind.. went out to the airfield today and seen a couple planes.. seen the guy out there that i was supposed to meet up with but he was with his student so i didnt interrupt him.. i did however go stand by his group while they were out there... but when he was done with his student, he packed up and went home.. didnt even say hi, although im positive he recognized me. oh well.. guess thats not a very friendly field.. guess i will have to find another one. did take the stryker out 3-4 days ago... was winds about 10-15 mph.. flew it for a few and then crashed it.. nose and stabilizers popped off.. nothing major.. decided that may have been a little too much wind for me and my current experience level. im gonna try and get out wednesday morning at like 7-8AM for a REAL flight... will update more then..
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
flyingace451

don't ask how much I have in the whole bird.
*raises hand* I know I know!!!

Moving your control horn throws to the upper most hole would help you out a ton. And with the issues of taking off, when we say chuck it, we mean it! You have to get this thing going hard before you try anything and don't angle the plane upwards, make a nice and level throw. If it drops, give a little up elevator just to keep it off of the ground, and release the up when it starts speeding up.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Glacier Girl

FYREANT,
Don't let one "bad apple" spoil your taste for flight. There are a lot of good people out there.
It may take finding out who is in charge of the field/club and approching them, to find out who you can talk to about getting help. Some peoples poor attitude towards new electric fliers is causing a major rift between the gas/electric communities. They don't look at the person, they look at the plane, and see it as something that is not the status quo, instead they should be looking at it as the future for the hobby. Until this type of thinking can be quashed you may find getting started with a club a hard road. Don't give up, there are good clubs out there.
If I can be of any help, let me know.