Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Crawf_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian thread

ORIGINAL: dabvid

just one question, i know you guys probobly wont know as it is about glow but how much does fuel cost? if anyone knows thanks lol
regards,
dave
I think it's about $15 for a 1 litre bottle of 15% nitromethane

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 PM
clovus

Maiden,
just some things to think about;

constantly having to playwith/adjust idle needles
you still have to charge receiver batts but also fuel the plane with stinky, toxic slimey stuff
cleaning your plane after every flight
having to fuel proof the firewall
carrying much more gear around (having to pay for it in the first place)
going to the field and finding you don't have a spare glow plug
the noise will end up damaging your hearing
having a reduced lifespan of your model as it literally shakes itself to destruction
needing to scunge lifts to the field.........

I have friends who fly glow/nitro and they are pretty sick of the hassle of it all. Talking to them about the problems with tuning engines, having the engine stall at pretty critical moments, and the mess and smell convinces me electric is the way to go. When I want to go and fly I pack 1 battery, trans and the plane. I'm in the air maybe 2 minutes after arriving. If the wind is right I walk out of my front door and fly across the road. No chance of that with glow. These guys take forever.......

clovus
Old 05-13-2007, 05:54 PM
tam popo

I'll second that Clovus! I knocked up a wing from styro this afto, 1 servo rudder, on/off for height, 180 motor, 7.2v 800Mah stuff lying around, and it flys!! Can you do that with Nitro? No! Wot did it cost - nothing. I always carry a spare plane in boot (trunk!) with charged battery - there's always a field 2miutes away not a 20 mile drive to Club[&o] Yearh I'd like to try nitro but not with all those disadvantages - MC, listen to your big uncle Clovus Happy electric flying
Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 AM
maiden-crash

Thanks guys for all the replies and advice The model is 2.5 kilograms, I think they made a typo. Clovus, I know what you are saying, but Ive thought it all out already. The model is fibreglass, so no need of fuel proofing. A rag is all I need to clean it, a glow plug ignitor is the only thing I actually need to start it, (I already have one), the noise and smell and feel reminds me more of the full scale planes, and any additional things really don't bother me too much. That doesn't mean Im only going to fly glow though, I will be a mixed flyer, I have too muvh electric gear and good memories to abandon electric models, and when the price comes down a bit more, I will probably convert completely back to electric.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 AM
maiden-crash

So, does this mean Im banned from the thread
Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: maiden-crash

So, does this mean Im banned from the thread

MC - my research shows that you have the distinction of posting the 7th post in this thread.

You are sometimes wise well beyond your years and have provided me and the others in this thread with a wealth of information and humour.... so from this old newbie, I hope you always stick around here... I don't care if you fly rubber band models

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 AM
maiden-crash

Thanks Crawf, that means a lot to me. Makes me happy to be part of this great group of people. Now, this post is getting a little to in- touch with the feminine side, so Ill stop there.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Crawf_

Hey DI

You've been quiet today! Hope that means that you've been out flying in this perfect weather and you've maidened your MM???

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-14-2007, 02:45 AM
tam popo

MC - you can always paint your flying nitro brick PINK!![8D] When you go nitro can I have your planes?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:52 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

No, not been out today - busy with family stuff etc.

I may go in the morning early and fly the EZ* but the MM is waiting until the weekend when you're there to advise me

I had a look at my motor mount, if anything, it could be very slightly angled down. Did you check yours ?

Good video of your brother's EZ* !! He picks the same type of tree all the time doesn't he ? Glad he got it down though !

BTW - did you try the MM on FMS ? Did you think it was a bit over sensitive or not realistic ? The Magister and the EZ* fly so mildly by comparison.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 AM
maiden-crash

For saying that,(by "that" I mean painting the plane pink) Tam Ponpo, no, you may not. Well actually thats not the reason, Ive got no planes atm so sending you an empty parcel wont do much, but then again, I could send you a sample of the shade of pink that I think suits you best
Old 05-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: digitalimages

Crawf

No, not been out today - busy with family stuff etc.

I may go in the morning early and fly the EZ* but the MM is waiting until the weekend when you're there to advise me

I had a look at my motor mount, if anything, it could be very slightly angled down. Did you check yours ?

Good video of your brother's EZ* !! He picks the same type of tree all the time doesn't he ? Glad he got it down though !

BTW - did you try the MM on FMS ? Did you think it was a bit over sensitive or not realistic ? The Magister and the EZ* fly so mildly by comparison.

Cheers

DI

Motor mount should be slightly down and to the right..

MM on FMS was close but I think the real thing is easier as long as the expo and d/r are set right and the CoG is correct.

I've reserved Saturday to come up and help with the deflowering :-)

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-14-2007, 03:48 AM
maiden-crash

Tam, how is the stryker going? Made any more progress yet? Have you sorted out the esc issue? Im still following along, but haven't heard anything for a while. How bout some pictures? Id be interested to see how its coming along.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

Thanks for that - seems like maybe my motor is OK then (?) you can see what you think at the 'deflowering' .. such an old word

Thanks for the info re FMS and I'll look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 AM
tam popo

Funny you should say that! Stryker build one ready (used T Pro esc from Mr Zagi) and working OK. Going to maiden later if wind stays down. Number 2 will be programmed tonight when wifey goes out. Digital camera on order (cheapo) for hols and will post asap - got to figure out this e-mail digi stuff They're built and looking good in fleuro orange (one has proper canopy and canard wing - cool! Catch you later
Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 AM
maiden-crash

Sounds good! Looking forward to the pics, and the best of luck to you on the maiden!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
tam popo

Maidened Stryker[][>:] Wind a little too high for first flight but so it! Old styker straight into ground. New Stryker up then down into ground! [] Plenty of power with b/less but I reckon its my throw - I've lost the old knack of chucking! No damage but if hadn't strengthened plane it would be dead. Going when weather picks up a bit and try other new plane using old esc.[>:]
Old 05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
dabvid

hey guys, well i was skimming through the ef the other day and know i have to change all of the gear into my other fuse. a simple job but annoying. i noticed last week that there was a little crack in the boom.....now its alot bigger. i agree with MC on the nitro topic, i will be getting a glow plane next but i will still always have a parkflyer so as i can fly during the week. here is a link to the boomerand trainer i am getting. http://www.seagullmodels.com/trainer.htm
regards,
dave
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Crawf_

TP

With many digi cameras, when you plug the usb cable into the camera and then into the PC, the PC will treat it like an external hard drive so you may see, for example, in My Computer, an extra drive like G: or F: etc. Inside that drive - maybe inside another folder you will find your photos. I's then simply a matter of dragging them out of that folder into a permanent folder on the hard drive of your PC.

Once there, assuming you are using some flavour of Windows, you can select the photos you want to email, have the system shrink them to email size and then automatically open a new mail message in Outlook Express. ALternatively just use the "Click here to upload images and files!" link at the bottom of the Reply to Message page in the forum here.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM
clovus

Bad Luck Tam,

I did the same thing with my stryker on a windy day. But I must be a slow learner and I tried to launch 3 times, until the nose broke off.

MC, I wish you nothign but the best of luck with glow buddy. Glad you;re going into it with your eyes open. I hear they are much easier to fly as the WS is bigger, so more stable. As a side note I know 2 stroke motors are now banned in the UK (at least for outboard motors) due to pollution concerns. Now, you have a hard time getting two stroke mowers here. I wonder how long before all 2 stroke motors (including rc) are banned? We might all have to be electric eventually.

clovus
Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Rowdy_b64

Bad luck on the Strykers Tam. Too much wind is a bad thing eh what ? Not that Scotland is a very windy place .....
Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
tam popo

Crawf - I'll try that later, sounds about right Clovus, Rowdy, thanks for that! I think I know what the problem was, I was using cut down fins like the "big fast boys" on Dark Side - it might be OK for them doing 100mph but not me (less control, more sideways "slip"). I've added removeable extensions now and see it that improves it!! [:@][&:]
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM
ozrcboy

Well boys - the Zero went in again today. Photos and analysis in the usual place. Basically, lost power low to the ground, unable to turn upwind, was about to setup for a downwind landing when she glitched in from about 1.5 metres up. Pretty badly busted considering she wasn't going that fast. She should rebuild this time, but this old bird is starting to become pretty fragile - I'm guessing maybe the UV has made the foam more brittle over time.

So - I'm wondering how many RC models reach retirement versus going down in a "crunch" of glory.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
tam popo

We don't have that problem with UV light in Glasgow!! It's like flying down a coal mine here and thats during the day!! Signing off now, time for bed. See you in 4 hours (flying tomorrow)[>:][X(][X(]
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Crawf_

Oz,

Sorry to hear about the Zero.... doesn't look terminal though.... they are the worst kind of prangs...

The ones where I know I did something stupid, I can learn from and live with. The others though are a bitter pill to swallow.

Hope she's back in the air soon.

BTW an update on the AcroMaster... I have kept going back to her every couple of days and CA'd bits of the nose and motor mount back together.. and she's now at the stage where I've glued all the bits to put the (ugly) jigsaw together and now I am applying 1" strapping tape around the nose and then at right angles to the first strapping tape for strength.

Once I have done that and am happy it's reasonably straight and structurally sound, I think I'll then apply some red or black cloth tape (2") to the nose to give it a nicer finish.

I am not convinced she's ever going to fly again mind you but a little bit at a time... other things on the list to make her airworthy include

Repair and reglue hinges on rudder
purchase & install 3 x new servos
purchase and install 40+A ESC
Have BL motor checked out at LHS and hopefully just reattach to mount
purchase and install new APC prop
reattach/epoxy LG mounting plate and LG
resolder base loaded antenna to JR Rx - test and reinstall
Build new tail wheel assembly and get new wheel (one from AM has been stolen for use in the MM)
... prob missed some things but I think I'll end up spreading the effort and expense over the next 3 to 6 months.... that is IF I decide it's worth the effort...

Cheers
Crawf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.